WHat to say at interviews if I never did a PM&R rotation???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bankingdom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help guys. I decided on PM&R kind of late and never had a chance to do a rotation. I do have a fair amount of Ortho experience and it was from my ortho rotations that I decided I wanted to do MSK rehab, but I never formaly did a PMR rotation. What should I say on interviews when they ask me about this? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

do you have interviews yet? you might need to make sure you have some strong letters from physiatrist(s). I know that many of the better programs are hesitant to consider applicants without experience/exposure to PM&R.

bankingdom said:
I need help guys. I decided on PM&R kind of late and never had a chance to do a rotation. I do have a fair amount of Ortho experience and it was from my ortho rotations that I decided I wanted to do MSK rehab, but I never formaly did a PMR rotation. What should I say on interviews when they ask me about this? Any suggestions?

I would at least try to shadow a physiatrist or just sit down with one at your home institution and pick his/her brain.

I'm sure you're a competitive candidate in terms of numbers - since you were considering ortho - BUT, PM&R is getting more competitive (especially the top tier programs) - and it would be very difficult to make a good impression during an interview with absolutely NO PM&R exposure.

It's probably too late to schedule an elective but try to find a physiatrist somewhere - even if it's just to shadow for a couple days during holiday break.