What to read in Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josephf1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in what to read in Fellowship:
- Braumwalds?
- AHA/ACC Guidelines?
- ECHO/ Nucs/ EKG/ Stress?
- Interventional
- EP?
- CCU?
- CHF?
Will all programs get a fellows to level II ECHO/Nucs by the end of PGY6?
If you do alot of IV/EP in your last year can you get by with a 1 year procedural fellowship?
Can you do a 1 year IV fellowship and learn coronary and peripheral stenting or is that a special year of vascular intervention?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Interested in what to read in Fellowship:
- Braumwalds?: only if you want to poke your eyes out
- AHA/ACC Guidelines?: I found these quite useful early on, especially UA/NSTEMI, but less useful when you know the stuffl
- ECHO/ Nucs/ EKG/ Stress?: Oh for Echo, O'Keefe for EKG
- Interventional: There's this paperback manual that comes out of Case that is excellent, Grossman for the gunners
- EP?
- CCU?
- CHF? Doug Mann's Braunwald companion isn't bad
Will all programs get a fellows to level II ECHO/Nucs by the end of PGY6?

Most will, but some don't unless you use your research time to do this.

If you do alot of IV/EP in your last year can you get by with a 1 year procedural fellowship?

Interventional is typically a one year fellowship, but EP is 2 years. We had a fellow who left after 2nd year and went into a 2 year EP fellowship, but that's a rare exception.

Can you do a 1 year IV fellowship and learn coronary and peripheral stenting or is that a special year of vascular intervention?

If you want peripheral training, it typically requires an extra year.

Thanks

p diddy

agree with P diddy except that I like reading Braunwald. Reading the entire thing is probably not practical, however. It could be done if you are really motivated.

I do read Grossman's for cath. It is big, but very readable. I think if you want to do interventional you should for sure get it. Otherwise, "baby Grossman"/some other smaller manual is OK.

I think if you want to do peripheral interventions then you need a 2 year interventional fellowship...or perhaps could go to one of those programs that lets you track yourself after year 2 and start essentially doing your interventional stuff almost full time@that point.