What to RANK for Prelim MEDICNE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorkwood

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of the moment, my pmr list is pretty much set--but I'm torn about what to rank tops for my prelim medicine programs (and one TY year...)

I'm coming from emory med, but I do NOT want to do my prelim year here at emory since I feel as prelim years go its pretty miserable (from what i've seen first hand, and been told by residents)........

Here are my choices...does anybody have any opinions?

mcv-prelim med

Winthrop univ hospital garden city ny

LIJ

North Shore Univ Hosp

Hos. St. Raphael TY year.....

As you can see its not a very long list!

Members don't see this ad.

I know about MCV and Richmond- had a blast up there. The city is not that big but it's pretty centralized and there is a lot of diversity. The people at the hospital were awesome- smart people, great senses of humor. Nursing on the floors was pretty good, though I felt the ER was a bit understaffed. IM, as far as I know, was q4 but the people I knew seemed to have a life. It's a busy city hospital but I didn't think was overwhelming.

The weather in Richmond is not much colder than Atlanta (being from Georgia myself), and it would be about an 8-hour drive (I'd take I-20 and pick up 1-95). Beautiful scenic places like Charlottesville, Williamsburg, and the Outer Banks are very close by- perfect for a weekend trip. Although the city is not large compared to Atlanta or NYC standards, I thought a pretty decent amount of things to do (restaurants, nightlife, culture).

Good luck!

Personally, of the places you listed, I would rank the TY at HSR first. I guess you have to figure out what's most important to you. Doing a TY will allow you more electives (in general) and greater exposure to different fields. Most PM&R PDs would prefer that you do a Prelim in Medicine. That being said, most of the PGY-2s at SRH did a TY.