What to put in letter of resignation to residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaco1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was given the option to receive a non-renewal of my contract or to resign after the completion of my PGY-1 year in Family Medicine. I was told that resigning would be a better option. The management is waiting for my letter of resignation. I was told to resign based on subpar evaluations by most. I think I was ganged up on based on some few that hated me. Actually one chief resident ruined my reputation and the OB nurses (whom he is married to another nurse) hated my guts. My question is: What do I put as the reason of my resignation? Does anyone have a sample letter or a template? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No template, but I'm sure the Google machine can help with that.

Keep it simple and concise, e.g. "I hereby resign effective June 30, this year. Best regards, chaco1."

I was given the option to receive a non-renewal of my contract or to resign after the completion of my PGY-1 year in Family Medicine. I was told that resigning would be a better option. The management is waiting for my letter of resignation. I was told to resign based on subpar evaluations by most. I think I was ganged up on based on some few that hated me. Actually one chief resident ruined my reputation and the OB nurses (whom he is married to another nurse) hated my guts. My question is: What do I put as the reason of my resignation? Does anyone have a sample letter or a template? Thanks.

Have you discussed with your PD if they would support your application for another program or field of medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
Ya know I tend to play conservative on anything written, permanent with the ability to impact your current and future career.

I'm not sure how others feel about this, but what you are in essence negotiating here is a contract of sorts wher you put in writing reasons reflecting the decision that you are currently in the process of making. Personally, I would run this by a professinal with knowledge in this regard making sure you are covered from a legal perspective.

You do not need to put a reason, you simply resign and give a final work date.

Whether resigning is better than non-renewal is debatable. You MIGHT be able to claim unemployment benefits for a non-renewal -- that will be state dependent. As far as getting a new position, they are essentially identical.

What you might want to do is "resign" for a guarantee that they help you find a new spot with a supportive LOR. I'd ask to see the LOR first.

Reactions: 3 users
You do not need to put a reason, you simply resign and give a final work date.

Whether resigning is better than non-renewal is debatable. You MIGHT be able to claim unemployment benefits for a non-renewal -- that will be state dependent. As far as getting a new position, they are essentially identical.

What you might want to do is "resign" for a guarantee that they help you find a new spot with a supportive LOR. I'd ask to see the LOR first.

Do you find that having someone (lawyer, advocate, etc) helping you negogiate such terms is a plus? Sort of evens the playing field, or not really?

Do you find that having someone (lawyer, advocate, etc) helping you negogiate such terms is a plus? Sort of evens the playing field, or not really?
Unlikely to even the playing field.

Highly likely to escalate the situation and piss off the PD (and anyone else involved in the situation).

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but you're likely to spend $1000 and wind up in a worse place than you otherwise would have.

Reactions: 1 users
You are welcome to hire a lawyer if you want.

What you're not allowed to do is bring your lawyer to my office or to any meeting. So they can advise you "on the side". Is that helpful? I don't know.

If your PD is reasonable, then "negotiation" isn't needed. They will give you an honest evaluation regardless of what you do.

Reactions: 1 users