What to email a professor if I am looking for research opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buk Lau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, so I am looking for some type of research experience either in the spring or the summer and a few days ago I emailed a professor asking if there were any positions available. The email went something like:

Hello professor ______,

I am recently attending ______ as a chemistry major. I was just wondering if you had any research opportunities available for an undergraduate student in the spring or summer? I just want to prepare myself for applying to pharmacy schools in the future.

Thanks,

Is that not a good email? He hasn't responded yet; this could be because he is on winter break (classes start the 22nd) or because he is ignoring me. I want to email another professor now about research opportunities and I don't want my email to be the reason I don't get a position. What is a good way to email a professor asking for an opportunity?

Members don't see this ad.

First and foremost, take the justs out of it. Both your final two sentences are repeating structure of "justs". I would say that your e-mail is not the reason why you have not gotten a response though. When I wrote a similar e-mail a few years ago it was slightly different. I might re-write the e-mail a bit more like this:

Dear Professor _______

My name is _____ _____. As a new freshman majoring in chemistry, I am hoping to expand my experiences in chemistry from the classroom to the research bench top. After reading about your research into ____________, I became quite interested in your lab work/research group(whichever one is more appropriate). If there is room for a dedicated undergraduate in your research group, would you consider taking me on for either the ____ or _____ semester. (I would strongly encourage staying a full year with a lab, not just a semester as it takes a good deal of time to really become part of the group.) If you would like to know any more information about me feel free to ask.

Thanks for your consideration,

As an aside, I would truly recommend going to the professor in person if you can catch them or just e-mailing them asking for a meeting to discuss the possibility of undergraduate research.

first and foremost, take the justs out of it. Both your final two sentences are repeating structure of "justs". I would say that your e-mail is not the reason why you have not gotten a response though. When i wrote a similar e-mail a few years ago it was slightly different. I might re-write the e-mail a bit more like this:

Dear professor _______

my name is _____ _____. As a new freshman majoring in chemistry, i am hoping to expand my experiences in chemistry from the classroom to the research bench top. After reading about your research into ____________, i became quite interested in your lab work/research group(whichever one is more appropriate). If there is room for a dedicated undergraduate in your research group, would you consider taking me on for either the ____ or _____ semester. (i would strongly encourage staying a full year with a lab, not just a semester as it takes a good deal of time to really become part of the group.) if you would like to know any more information about me feel free to ask.

as an aside, i would truly recommend going to the professor in person if you can catch them or just e-mailing them asking for a meeting to discuss the possibility of undergraduate research.

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
First and foremost, take the justs out of it. Both your final two sentences are repeating structure of "justs". I would say that your e-mail is not the reason why you have not gotten a response though. When I wrote a similar e-mail a few years ago it was slightly different. I might re-write the e-mail a bit more like this:

Dear Professor _______

My name is _____ _____. As a new freshman majoring in chemistry, I am hoping to expand my experiences in chemistry from the classroom to the research bench top. After reading about your research into ____________, I became quite interested in your lab work/research group(whichever one is more appropriate). If there is room for a dedicated undergraduate in your research group, would you consider taking me on for either the ____ or _____ semester. (I would strongly encourage staying a full year with a lab, not just a semester as it takes a good deal of time to really become part of the group.) If you would like to know any more information about me feel free to ask.

As an aside, I would truly recommend going to the professor in person if you can catch them or just e-mailing them asking for a meeting to discuss the possibility of undergraduate research.
Holy crap. Point taken. lol. I wasn't looking at the big picture. I think I'm going to email the other professor now.

Out of 30 professors I have emailed in the past, about 28 replied back. I get the feeling they check emails every hour. If the professor didnt reply, just send him or her another polite email with a message that you're not sure if your email was received (and just repeat your intention again). If you still don't get a reply, just email other professor.

bmkleinb gave a good template for the email, but I would simplify it more by going straghit to the point. Even better, ask if you can schedule a meeting to meet up with them. As someone already pointed out, researching about what the lab is doing is a plus. Be sure to prepared 5~10 questions if you meet up with the professor. I believe most if not all are looking for passion and commitment.

I also want to add that if you are going to the professor in person, at least give them a notice (or just schedule an appointment). Some professors do not like it if you just appear out of nowhere in their office.

Thanks bmkleinb for that awesome guide to emailing professors. Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but would you recommend attaching my resume to the email? Mine's a bit threadbare in regards to scientific research,having taken only AP chemistry and doing a research alb during my summer after my freshman year (I'm a sophomore btw and majoring in psych and doing premed)

imo, it's optional, but I have seen many students attach resumes in their greeting mail. It doesn't hurt you. You can mention about your freshman research experience during interview.

Most Professor or PostDoc are looking for intern with long time commitment and passion for science. It is very time consuming and expensive to train an undergraduate student. You might have more chance with a rich lab. You can suggest free labor like dish washing, solution making and record keeping to increase your chance of gaining the internship.

Here is the resume I used before when applying for lab jobs (I edited some parts out for security reason =])

NAME Batman CONTACT INFO address, email, phone number

Education: BLAH BLAH BLAH
Qualifications: Ability to interact and understand with varied personalities at all levels of organization
Ability to multi- task with different projects and learn new task quickly
Ability to work in multiple environments (I used to work in mutiple labs at the same time)
Ability to operate several software and computer operating systems
X years of experiences working in a laboratory setting
Organized and detail oriented

You can include an extra section on relevant course works here if you want

Experience: Your Position ex: Scientific Collaborator, Name of Lab ex: Burger Lab, Name of Institute ex: McD, Institute building room # ex: ABC rm 123 (Date ex: 4/2006~Present)
· Responsible for the production and purification of XYZ proteins
· Responsible for analyzing research data and optimizing protein purification protocol
· Experience with software interface design

Staff Research Associate I, Fries Lab, IN&OUT, BAC rm 231 (10/2010 – Present)
· Responsible for the production and purification of XXX, and other recombinant proteins
· Experience with vector design, transformation, cloning and mutagenesis
· Experience with autoclave machine, pH meter, spectrophotometers, centrifuge, sonicatior, microfluidizer, FPLC, multiple HPLCs, and lyophilizer.
· Experience with careful record keeping of data, and quality control assessment of expressed proteins
· Experience with general laboratory tasks such as pouring gels, making buffers, making competent cells

Lab Assistant, Manager and Area Safety Coordinator, Oak Lab, University of Pokemon, ASD 123 (4/2007 ~ 10/2010)
· Maintenance of Laboratory equipment
· Inspect and maintain a safe environment in the laboratory
· Responsible for cleaning and autoclaving glassware
· Responsible for buffer, media solutions and media plate
· Responsible for ordering and record keeping of laboratory supplies
· Experience with radioactive and biohazard waste disposal

Additional Experience:
List only relevant experience here
Volunteer, Organization Name , Location (09/2009 ~ Present)
· Responsible for labeling medication
· Responsible for checking labels of medication

Volunteer, Organization Name, Location (07/2001~04/2005)
· Responsible for restocking medical supplies and transfer blood samples to blood bank
· Responsible for greeting patients to make sure they are comfortable and feel at home

Last edited:
So suppose you email a bunch of profs, and they all reply. What do you do then? I would obviously want to stick with one professor instead of 5. Is there a nice way of saying no to them..... :laugh:

Hello all, so I am looking for some type of research experience either in the spring or the summer and a few days ago I emailed a professor asking if there were any positions available. The email went something like:

Hello professor ______,

I am recently attending ______ as a chemistry major. I was just wondering if you had any research opportunities available for an undergraduate student in the spring or summer? I just want to prepare myself for applying to pharmacy schools in the future.

Thanks,

Is that not a good email? He hasn't responded yet; this could be because he is on winter break (classes start the 22nd) or because he is ignoring me. I want to email another professor now about research opportunities and I don't want my email to be the reason I don't get a position. What is a good way to email a professor asking for an opportunity?

I wouldn't email them. I would speak to them in person. On the first day of class I told my professor my intentions and after the second midterm she took me into her lab.

Here's a guide as posted by my school's student research program:

Dear Professor X:
My name is X, and I am very interested in becoming involved in research in Subject Area. I am a X year student with a GPA of X. I have taken Courses and Additional Experiences. My goal is to Goal.

I have reviewed your faculty profile and am interested in the work that you have done. I was intrigued by your journal article, "Article Title." It Additional Information about Topic. I would like to get involved in research in this area because it will help me to better prepare for Goals.

Would it be possible to meet with you to further discuss Topic and my possible involvement in research? I am available Days and Times. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Name
Student ID
Address
Phone

My research counselor said not to approach it as "Do you have any positions that I can just take for a year?" Instead, get involved in what they are researching, as that is their passion, and they are more likely to respond to you if you are genuinely interested in their field of research.

Reactions: 1 user