What to do with my current car?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted810749

Hello,

I am going to SCCO next year and I’m concerned with my car because the gas price in Cali is ******ed.

I’m currently driving Infiniti G37x sedan. Average MPG is 19. It is AWD. I bought this car when I was working in Chicago few years ago. The car is still under good warranty til 2019 and I’m still paying for my car. About $8k left to pay off.

I believe it’s smart to sell my car and get a lease in Cali with high MPG car However my car’s value is probably equal to or less than what I owe. At this point, I think I probably should just bring my car to Cali. What do you guys think?

1) keep your car. Bring it to cali

2) trade in for better mpg and cheaper car now.

3) sell the car and a lease car in Cali.

4) trade in for better mpg and cheaper car in Cali.

P.s. I don’t need the AWD anymore. Not in Chicago anymore.

Edit :
I’m looking at 5~7 k used car. 1.9 APR. My insurance is around 100 here. It will probably increase if I move there. My current car mileage is 90k. Currently paying $400 a month for my car- still needs to pay about 8k. My car value is same or lower than 8k. Probably lower.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I am going to SCCO next year and I’m concerned with my car because the gas price in Cali is ******ed.

I’m currently driving Infiniti G37x sedan. Average MPG is 19. It is AWD. I bought this car when I was working in Chicago few years ago. The car is still under good warranty til 2019 and I’m still paying for my car. About $8k left to pay off.

I believe it’s smart to sell my car and get a lease in Cali with high MPG car However my car’s value is probably equal to or less than what I owe. At this point, I think I probably should just bring my car to Cali. What do you guys think?

How was your visit to SCCO? Because if a car is not required for that school/area then I'd say maybe just sell your car and not buy another. If you definitely need a car while there then I'd suggest trading in this car and getting a cheaper car with better mpg. I would also suggest to do it soon/by the end of the year/beginning of the new year.

California just had a new gas tax implemented starting Nov 1 2017 (five days ago). The new gas tax helps pay to fix Californian road infrastructure and transportation services.

This is a moot point, but otherwise, beforehand California had relatively similar gas prices to Chicago (I was just in Chicago last month). To answer your question, I would just stick with the car. The CA gas tax is now just 18c on the gallon. It's not like you'll be making many extended road trips..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a car guy and really attached to my car. So I'd go with option 1.

I'm a car guy and really attached to my car. So I'd go with option 1.

agreed. just ship it to CA, you have a good reliable new(ish) car. Seems like too much of a hassle to go through all the other stuff, plus youll probably end up losing money if you still owe 8 grand on the car. a 5-7k car is likely going to be either less reliable/require more to maintain than your G. youll also appreciate the awd in the rain, and if you go to any nearby state that might have snow. if youre not gonna be driving it that much, i dont really see a point of selling it and getting something else that likely doesnt have the luxury features and power that im sure you've grown to appreciate in your current car.

Last edited:
Do not lease. That much I can tell you. Unless you're going to be driving A LOT there is not reason to sell it; it'll take a lot of miles before you make up for you loss in gas saved if you buy a smaller car.

I'm from CA and gas prices really aren't expensive.... I would definitely recommend driving it out here when you start school because everyone in CA drives around. If you don't need it your first year, i'm sure it will be useful the following years. Everything is normally within 10-20 minutes or less and public transportation isn't as big here as it is in Chicago so i would bring it out here!

Hello,

Edit :
I’m looking at 5~7 k used car. 1.9 APR. My insurance is around 100 here. It will probably increase if I move there. My current car mileage is 90k. Currently paying $400 a month for my car- still needs to pay about 8k. My car value is same or lower than 8k. Probably lower.

I am totally in the same situation, kind of. I own a 2011 Subaru WRX STi Hatchback and it honestly gets about 16mpg.. I live in Las Vegas, so I don't really accumulate that many miles on my car. But I am planning on going to SCCO or Western, just pretty much California, where I know commuting is going to almost be a near necessity. I plan on trying to sell my car when I graduate from undergrad and saving up to get a more fuel efficient car (Lexus CT-200H) (HYBRID LIFE)!

I am totally in the same situation, kind of. I own a 2011 Subaru WRX STi Hatchback and it honestly gets about 16mpg.. I live in Las Vegas, so I don't really accumulate that many miles on my car. But I am planning on going to SCCO or Western, just pretty much California, where I know commuting is going to almost be a near necessity. I plan on trying to sell my car when I graduate from undergrad and saving up to get a more fuel efficient car (Lexus CT-200H) (HYBRID LIFE)!
Get a GTI . 30+ mpg

Reactions: 1 user
But the WRX is a pretty sick car!

0-60 in 4.5 sec vs 10 sec... that'll be an interesting change