What to do when most programs decline you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go to Elms college or take a year to improve my GPA and try again next year for a better school?

• Total voters

drewmighty

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a little context first. I applied to 9 Post Bac school programs and was unfortunately declined by 7 (still waiting on one technically and if it is decline I would be declined from 8 programs). The only program I got into was at Elms College in Massachusetts.

I am worried that going to a smaller more unknown school for my Post Bac will hurt me down the road. The other option is I wait a year and reapply and during that time take some courses at the local Community College and help improve my GPA. I am just wondering if anyone has experience in doing either of these and what was your experience like? Is a Post Bac at a college like Elms worth it or will it be hard to get into medial school? If I take classes at the local Community College and do well will I improve my chances of getting into a program next year? It is a rather big decision regarding my future and I am quite nervous and not sure what to do. Any and all help is appreciated.

Regards,

Drew

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your GPA and MCAT score. Have you taken mcat?
You have lot of options.
Why don't you do masters? Heritage is still taking for masters. Below is the link.
Master of Arts in Medical Sciences

You can take classes at community college or state college. If you search here I'm sure there are still programs where you can get in but still it all depends on your GPA/MCAT.

It depends on your GPA and MCAT score. Have you taken mcat?
You have lot of options.
Why don't you do masters? Heritage is still taking for masters. Below is the link.
Master of Arts in Medical Sciences

You can take classes at community college or state college. If you search here I'm sure there are still programs where you can get in but still it all depends on your GPA/MCAT.

I have not taken mcat but i did well on the gre. 157 vocab, 159 quant 4.0 writing. Gpa is from 2 colleges. 3.3 at cc and then transferred to a uc and got a 2.7.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Might be wise to start taking courses at your state uni starting this fall. Or go to Elms, but I wouldn't wait another year if you were declined a lot of places.

Reactions: 1 user
Does that GPA include all the schools you have attended? If so, take some upper-level biology classes to boost your sGPA to a 3.3.

Yes, I have not taken any Bio classes at all. Should I go to the local CC and take some Bio courses?

If you choose not to attend a post-bacc this year, I don't think it's wise to enroll in a CC to boost your GPA after you have shown a poorer performance at a four year university. Even if you earn straight As now at a CC, it's not convincing at all to the adcoms. Assuming you're from California, look for UC extensions, CSUs, private universities, or even online courses (like UNE or UC Berkeley extension) to take upper-level biology courses instead. You have a ton of options available.

If you choose not to attend a post-bacc this year, I don't think it's wise to enroll in a CC to boost your GPA after you have shown a poorer performance at a four year university. Even if you earn straight As now at a CC, it's not convincing at all to the adcoms. Assuming you're from California, look for UC extensions, CSUs, private universities, or even online courses (like UNE or UC Berkeley extension) to take upper-level biology courses instead. You have a ton of options available.

Thank you for the advice, it is very helpful. The other question I have is how hard is it to get into these programs/ extensions? Do I have a shot with my GPA? I am just worried that I should take what I got and go with it. I looked on this forum and some people say they like the program and have gotten into schools like Umass Med which isnt bad.

Like koi mentioned above don't wait for a year. Be productive and show med school that you can handle rigorous courses. Take upper division courses like UNE online and do volunteer work. There are tons of program you need to do more research.

Like koi mentioned above don't wait for a year. Be productive and show med school that you can handle rigorous courses. Take upper division courses like UNE online and do volunteer work. There are tons of program you need to do more research.

I mean I currently work full time and have been for 2 years as a counselor at a non profit psych rehab, where I work directly interact with psych patients and psychiatrists. I just want to get into a post bac to get all my required classes then apply to med school. Should I take classes at UNE and continue to work? Or should I just go do the post bac in Massachusetts?

Thank you for the advice, it is very helpful. The other question I have is how hard is it to get into these programs/ extensions? Do I have a shot with my GPA? I am just worried that I should take what I got and go with it. I looked on this forum and some people say they like the program and have gotten into schools like Umass Med which isnt bad.

If you take courses through UC extension or CSU Open University, then you do not have to apply. You just enroll. I graduated from a UC then took courses through Cal Poly Open University. Feel free to message me if you have any further questions.

If you take courses through UC extension or CSU Open University, then you do not have to apply. You just enroll. I graduated from a UC then took courses through Cal Poly Open University. Feel free to message me if you have any further questions.

I graduated UCSB 2 years ago, will this still work?