What to do now? Im stuck....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mubacalypse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So to make my story short, I was accepted into a Caribbean medical school and was suppose to start this Fall however because of immigration issues, I cant. I have to be a permanent resident for that and well its being processed and dont know how long its going to take, I dont want to waste my time so I decided to self study for USMLE Step 1 in the mean time. Is that something reasonable? I found the USMLE course outline for 2011 and decided to teach myself from that. Any suggestions?

P.S. Oh the reason Im leaning towards this Caribbean Medical School is because MCAT is not required and I rather not take one if I dont have to, therefore, thats the reason why i havent tried medical schools in US.

Members don't see this ad.

So to make my story short, I was accepted into a Caribbean medical school and was suppose to start this Fall however because of immigration issues, I cant. I have to be a permanent resident for that and well its being processed and dont know how long its going to take, I dont want to waste my time so I decided to self study for USMLE Step 1 in the mean time. Is that something reasonable? I found the USMLE course outline for 2011 and decided to teach myself from that. Any suggestions?
Personally, I think it's a waste of your time. You're going to have to spend two years in med school learning the stuff that's on Step 1. Why not spend this year doing something fun and interesting that you'll never have another opportunity to do? Or heck, even get a 9-5 job and enjoy having time in the evenings and on weekends to pursue your hobbies.

P.S. Oh the reason Im leaning towards this Caribbean Medical School is because MCAT is not required and I rather not take one if I dont have to, therefore, thats the reason why i havent tried medical schools in US.
This makes no sense to me whatsoever. You're willing to spend an entire year studying for Step 1, but you're not willing to spend two months studying for the MCAT so that you can try to attend an American school, thereby greatly increasing your odds of getting the residency you want?

Personally, I think it's a waste of your time. You're going to have to spend two years in med school learning the stuff that's on Step 1. Why not spend this year doing something fun and interesting that you'll never have another opportunity to do? Or heck, even get a 9-5 job and enjoy having time in the evenings and on weekends to pursue your hobbies.

umm yeah, im 27 years old, what do you think ive been doing all this time besides pre med? Working 40 hours plus and saving enough so I can afford med school

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. You're willing to spend an entire year studying for Step 1, but you're not willing to spend two months studying for the MCAT so that you can try to attend an American school, thereby greatly increasing your odds of getting the residency you want?

I rather go through Caribbean med school and pay $80K for the entire program then 200K in an American med school. Oh and dont worry about residency, if you score good on the steps, it all works out in the end :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Am sorry .... but what does this USMLE mean in full ?

Am sorry .... but what does this USMLE mean in full ?

my friend if you dont know what that means, I suggest you better ask someone cause youll be seeing a whole lotta USMLE in you medical student career

I rather go through Caribbean med school and pay $80K for the entire program then 200K in an American med school. Oh and dont worry about residency, if you score good on the steps, it all works out in the end :)

What Caribbean school is this btw ? :rolleyes: