This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdfa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to take a year off before medical school so I have more time to prep for the MCAT. I want to use this year to increase my chances of getting in to a medical school if possible, but I'm honestly not entirely sure what to do. I have considered working in a blood bank near my school or as a scribe (I definitely need to be making money during this time), but if anyone has any suggestions on what else I could do, please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I want to take a year off before medical school so I have more time to prep for the MCAT. I want to use this year to increase my chances of getting in to a medical school if possible, but I'm honestly not entirely sure what to do. I have considered working in a blood bank near my school or as a scribe (I definitely need to be making money during this time), but if anyone has any suggestions on what else I could do, please let me know!
I have friends who worked for City Year or Teach for America, or did research

The most obvious answer is to strengthen the weakest part of your application. I felt like I was lacking in clinical experience so I worked as a scribe and a medical assistant during my gap year and really loved both of my jobs. Plus, I had a LOT of insight into the day to day work and struggles of being a physician that I was able to talk about extensively during my interviews. You also can't go wrong with a research position if your passionate about research.

Agreed. As long as you're continually working on strengthening your app there is no wrong way to spend your time. Scribbing is a good option but the pay is pretty low. I'd recommend doing research. I was able to get a position doing research at a hospital where I got to work with Drs everyday. It gave me a great insight into the clinical side of things and allowed me to make some decent money. Plus they were understanding about my goals and gave me time off for interviews, and mcat ect.

Continue doing some volunteer work at least once a week, focus on doing well on the MCAT, and also take some time out to have some fun.

Reactions: 1 user