what to do during time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbookfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd yr med student and I need to take time off (~5-6 months) some time in the next academic yr. Are there any suggestions as to what I should do during this time off to make myself a more competitive applicant for psychiatry residencies? Is research the way or to go? Or international health volunteer work? Medical spanish? Any suggestions? What extracurriculars do psychiatry residencies like to see? I've done community service in the 1st 2 yrs of med school but I've done no research during med school. Do they really like research? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 3rd yr med student and I need to take time off (~5-6 months) some time in the next academic yr. Are there any suggestions as to what I should do during this time off to make myself a more competitive applicant for psychiatry residencies? Is research the way or to go? Or international health volunteer work? Medical spanish? Any suggestions? What extracurriculars do psychiatry residencies like to see? I've done community service in the 1st 2 yrs of med school but I've done no research during med school. Do they really like research? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Don't do research unless you're planning to do a lot of research in residency/early career and want to demonstrate that you can, that you are committed to research. What little that can be done in 5-6 months is not at all likely to impress "them", and unless it is something that is going to spark your desire to build a research based career, is pretty much not necessary as resume-padding to get into most psych residencies.

Don't do anything because you think "They" want to see it. Do the things that scream "This is who I am and who I want to be".

Thanks for the advice:) I believe that too...one should do something he or she really wants to...out of their heart. I am still exploring my options and really do want to do something I enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am dealing with the same situation, but with less time than the OP. I have heard from many sources that research isn't high on the list that PDs look at. I was also told that I should do research if I want to go to an academic university associated psych program.

However, I do agree that I shouldn't do something simply for appearances. I just want to make the best decision.

I did nothing. I helped out friends who were presidents, vps of various clubs and needed help for various volunteer activities that I found interesting. I HATE research, it's not for me. In terms of research, it all depends on what program you want to get into- some programs really emphasize research and other programs flat out tell you that they are not big on research. Instead I did a bunch of psych rotations: forensics, some child, inpatient, outpatient, geriatrics. I think that helped me out the most. It showed that I was genuinely interested and some programs were impressed with some of my experiences.