This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elfanara

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am still on the wait list for UF, but I like to know and hash out all possibilities. For people who have been though this before and didn't get in their first time, what did you do during the year off? I was thinking about working as a Vet Tech, but I don't know if I can because I didn't complete an actual Vet Tech program. In a few weeks here I will have a B.S. in Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences from Penn State. Can I become a Vet Tech with that? Is there a different or better option? Basically I'm just looking for advice. I am DEFINITELY re-applying if I don't get in. I swear I will keep applying til I'm 50. So yeah, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to get a technicial degree specifically for veterinary technology and then pass the VTNE to become a LVT. In my state (Texas) you don’t have to be a LVT to work as a vet tech (I didn’t). With that being said it’s not worth your time, and it will do little for your application to get a degree to be a LVT. It is not worth it.

My advice is to get veterinary experience in a field you don’t have much veterinary experience in yet. Like, if you’ve done mostly small animal try large animal or research. Keep in mind even working as a kennel or lab tech under a vet is vet experience. You don’t need to be a vet tech to get veterinary experience.

What did I do? I did all the things I’d be unable to do if I were a veterinary student and enjoyed life before I have to hit the books again this Fall. I traveled during the school year when plane tickets are cheap. I got a 9-5 in a veterinary diagnostic lab and saved some money I’ll surely need when I start school again. I slept in on the weekends. I did want I wanted with my spare time. I spent time with my family before I have move away. I took a road trip just because I wanted to. I appreciated not constantly having the voice in my head telling me I should be studying or preparing for something else.

And when I did apply for the second time, I wasnt juggling class work and the stress of school at the same time. It was easier. I didn’t obsess as much and I wasn’t as high strung about getting in. I knew what to expect and it went by much more smoothly.

Honestly, this year off has been a blessing. I think you’ll eventually see it that way too.

Reactions: 3 users
So I am still on the wait list for UF, but I like to know and hash out all possibilities. For people who have been though this before and didn't get in their first time, what did you do during the year off? I was thinking about working as a Vet Tech, but I don't know if I can because I didn't complete an actual Vet Tech program. In a few weeks here I will have a B.S. in Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences from Penn State. Can I become a Vet Tech with that? Is there a different or better option? Basically I'm just looking for advice. I am DEFINITELY re-applying if I don't get in. I swear I will keep applying til I'm 50. So yeah, thoughts?
I too am on the waitlist for UF. This is my second application cycle (the first I only applied to WSU & CSU).

My tips are these:

1. First, reflect on your application yourself. Where do YOU think you are lacking? Could it be grades, volunteer hours, veterinary hours, other?
2. Then, contact all the schools you applied to, whether or not you interviewed, and ask for a file review. This was extremely helpful for me-even though I haven't been accepted, I interviewed at every school I applied to after following my recommendations.
3. Based on what they say, decide what you have to do. Retake the GRE? Get a job at a veterinary clinic? Take a job working with a new species?
4. Reconsider who your eLORs are from. The schools are not allowed to disclose if you got a good letter or not, just that you followed the requirements for these.

Additionally, no, you cannot become a licensed vet tech with your degree. Every state has different rules. Some states do not require you to earn a license to work as a vet tech (there are also other terms it could fall under included certified or registered vet tech). Some states may have other ways to become one without going to school... for instance, the laws in WA changed less than 10 years ago. Before then, you could become a vet tech by working as a veterinary assistant for so many years and then taking a test.

However, you can become a veterinary assistant at a clinic. This is not the only way to gain veterinary hours, though. Other options may be a laboratory technician (at a vet diagnostic lab), animal research assistant, or nontraditional assisting roles such as a zoo, aquarium, shelter, race track, or research facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This was my second application cycle and I got called off of Kansas State's waitlist.

During the year I had between application cycles I continued working as a vet tech and concentrated on improving my gpa. I live in Texas and they do not require technicians to be certified.

I would suggest improving your weaknesses. You can contact the schools that denied you and see what they would like you to improve on. As far as if you can work as a veterinary technician that really depends on where you live and how that's regulated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

FILE REVIEWS, FILE REVIEWS, FILE REVIEWS. from every school you applied to. See what they say to do to make your app better this summer and then DO IT. and continue doing those things even after you submit. Because then on the off chance you don’t get in again and have to go for another cycle, you’ve already beefed up your application even more.
DONT GO TO TECH SCHOOL IF YOU PLAN TO GO TO VET SCHOOL. It’s a waste of your money and time, especially if your state allows people to be unlicensed techs. Or even if you can find a vet assistant job if you are specifically wanting a job for the year. Shadowing is also 100% okay to do if you can’t find a job.

My tips are these:

1. First, reflect on your application yourself. Where do YOU think you are lacking? Could it be grades, volunteer hours, veterinary hours, other?
2. Then, contact all the schools you applied to, whether or not you interviewed, and ask for a file review. This was extremely helpful for me-even though I haven't been accepted, I interviewed at every school I applied to after following my recommendations.
3. Based on what they say, decide what you have to do. Retake the GRE? Get a job at a veterinary clinic? Take a job working with a new species?
4. Reconsider who your eLORs are from. The schools are not allowed to disclose if you got a good letter or not, just that you followed the requirements for these.

This is fantastic advice, and I will add:

5. Get a job and save money. Don't feel like you HAVE to work in a vet hospital or you won't get in next time. Work on creating a savings account before vet school to help with moving, pet bills, or whatever down the road. (Caveat: If your file reviews tell you that you need more vet experience, then hey, you should make that a priority. But you can also do that by working and doing shadowing/volunteering on the side.)
6. Don't forget the file reviews.
7. Give yourself a break. Do something fun. Rediscover hobbies you love. Read. Knit. Climb trees.
8. Volunteer somewhere cool. I did some volunteering with a dairy researcher and got to play with cows and draw tons of blood samples and come home smelling like manure. It was a blast (and it helped my resume/application, too)

FILE REVIEWS, FILE REVIEWS, FILE REVIEWS. from every school you applied to. See what they say to do to make your app better this summer and then DO IT. and continue doing those things even after you submit. Because then on the off chance you don’t get in again and have to go for another cycle, you’ve already beefed up your application even more.
DONT GO TO TECH SCHOOL IF YOU PLAN TO GO TO VET SCHOOL. It’s a waste of your money and time, especially if your state allows people to be unlicensed techs. Or even if you can find a vet assistant job if you are specifically wanting a job for the year. Shadowing is also 100% okay to do if you can’t find a job.

Second this.

Contact the schools you applied to and get their opinions on what would make you a stronger applicant for their programs and then do that.

If you’re in need of SA animal experience and want a job I highly suggest working at Banfield. I know there are mixed opinions on this, but I’ve been a VA for about two years there and have learned SO MUCH. I didn’t have much experience when I applied but they train you to do everything (taking blood, placing catheters, positioning radiographs, running all sorts of labs, minoring for surgery, etc). I guess your responsibilities would vary depending on what state you live in, but Florida you don’t need to be licensed to work as a tech and I know a lot of states are the same way. I know the work environment is very dependent on each hospital/the staff but I’ve had a great experience!
I second this. Banfield enabled me to get my foot in the door in a field where it is difficult to find someone to train you with little to no experience.

I have issues with Banfield, trust me I do. But I’m grateful they taught me the basics.

So it seems like getting some more experience (in whatever way possible) is the main consensus here. Did most of you all who re-applied wait and take two "gap years" in order to have one full more year of experience? Or did you just beef up your application with what you did in that summer between re-applying/waiting for waitlist?

So it seems like getting some more experience (in whatever way possible) is the main consensus here. Did most of you all who re-applied wait and take two "gap years" in order to have one full more year of experience? Or did you just beef up your application with what you did in that summer between re-applying/waiting for waitlist?
Well I didn’t even get interviews or waitlisted my first try so I knew last year around February that I wasn’t getting in anywhere. I graduated college in May and then spent May - Present getting more experience in a vet diagnostic lab. I also did very well my last two semesters so that helped my GPA. I was also involved in research and several leadership opportunities during the school year before I even knew I didn’t get in.

Don’t wait until a rejection to start bettering your application for the next year.

I didn’t wait until I got rejected the first time either to start doing stuff. After I applied, I continued to volunteer at the shelter I’m at, I shadowed when I could during breaks, and once I graduated I got back into shadowing. Then mid to end of March I started looking for assistant jobs and ended up finding one and being able to start there and add those hours. That job was just weekends so I was still able to keep shadowing and then my shadowing eventually turned into an assistant job a couple days during the weel, but after I submitted. I was waitlisted at two schools last cycle after interviewing, but didn’t wait for April 17 or a rejection letter to start bettering my application. This cycle I was waitlisted at three schools, one was after an interview, and last week I ended up getting accepted where I had interviewed. I wasn’t expecting to get off a waitlist that soon so I was still working and improving my app in case I needed to go for round 3.

I did skip an application cycle after I was rejected. I first applied for the c/o 2018 and then waited to apply for the c/o 2020. I did not feel ready to apply so soon after getting rejected. It really does take an emotional toll and I needed a break from thinking about vet school. The time went by really quickly and I was able to land an amazing job as I had the time to devote to it - they wanted a 2yr commitment. I have no regrets that I didn’t apply for the c/o 2019. In hindsight, I am really thankful for my time off from school for many reasons!