What to do during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D

deleted848155

I might be taking a gap year. If I do, I will hopefully be working as an optical assistant. But what did you do during your gap year? Are there specefic optic vision or volunteer trips I can go on? The ones I have researched on only allow optometrists or optometry students. What did you respond with when interviewers ask "how have you grown within the optoemetris field during your gap year?// what have you learned or how have you gained more experience during your gap year?"

I have already been working in an optometrist office for 1.5 years and I already applied and got rejected from my top school. So IF I do take a gap year, what is something more I can do? What can I tell them when they asked how I have grown, since I already work and am experienced as an optical assistant?

Members don't see this ad.

I would shadow in other optometry offices, look into OD/MD practices or hospital settings so that you experience the scope of practice possible within optometry and show that you are interested in everything the career has to offer. Continue working at the office you do, if you are not already certified, consider becoming a certified optometric tech or assistant. Any volunteer work would look good, but I am not certain about optometry- specific opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user