What to do during commute??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RequiredName

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering: What resources do you recommend for the commute to and from med school?

I've tried googling this question and what usually pops up are pieces of advice as to whether commuting is a positive or negative. I'm not looking for that type of advice; due to family responsibilities, I am definitely commuting. But, I am having a hard time getting a list of recommendations on what to buy, download, or do to make commute time productive. I'll have about 45 min one-way.

Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering: What resources do you recommend for the commute to and from med school?

I've tried googling this question and what usually pops up are pieces of advice as to whether commuting is a positive or negative. I'm not looking for that type of advice; due to family responsibilities, I am definitely commuting. But, I am having a hard time getting a list of recommendations on what to buy, download, or do to make commute time productive. I'll have about 45 min one-way.

Thank you!!!!

Are you driving or taking public transit?

In M2 I listened to Goljan.

In M1 I sometimes listened to lecture recordings and sometimes listened to power metal.

Members don't see this ad :)

In M1 I sometimes listened to lecture recordings and sometimes listened to power metal.

Thanks... if you don't mind me asking (and I know this may sound stupid), but what method do u use for recording lectures? Phone, recorder, something else...? And any recommendations on which is best?

Thanks... if you don't mind me asking (and I know this may sound stupid), but what method do u use for recording lectures? Phone, recorder, something else...? And any recommendations on which is best?
The school recorded them using a service that had a mobile app. I accessed them from there.

My school podcasted all lectures. Could be a possibilty

Hi everyone!

Thank you!!!!

My walk to school was about 20 minutes and the common mentality during med school is to kind of be as productive as possible and to try to use every waking moment to listen to something med school related... I used to do that and by the time I got to lecture, I was mentally tired and didn't feel fresh... I started listening to ambient music and sometimes techno (a matter of preference) on the way to school and I felt like I retained a lot more in lecture since I was fresh... yes there is a lot of material and it's nice to maximize efficiency, but I feel like by taking it easy on the commute and using that as some time for yourself, you maintain a little bit of sanity and are able to retain more in lecture... obviously this is just my experience and will vary from person to person, just thought I would put it out there

Reactions: 2 users
I used to drive an hour to and back from chemistry undergrad. school. I just tried to stay awake. Couldn't imagine trying to throw a lecture on the radio.

My walk to school was about 20 minutes and the common mentality during med school is to kind of be as productive as possible and to try to use every waking moment to listen to something med school related... I used to do that and by the time I got to lecture, I was mentally tired and didn't feel fresh... I started listening to ambient music and sometimes techno (a matter of preference) on the way to school and I felt like I retained a lot more in lecture since I was fresh... yes there is a lot of material and it's nice to maximize efficiency, but I feel like by taking it easy on the commute and using that as some time for yourself, you maintain a little bit of sanity and are able to retain more in lecture... obviously this is just my experience and will vary from person to person, just thought I would put it out there
I second this (other than the techno/ambient music - unless it’s Aphex Twin or Boards of Canada). I tried listening to lectures and Goljan while walking to school to study (never attended lectures unless they were mandatory, but did 99% of studying at school) and found I needed a break and would have more trouble just jumping into studying when I got there. When I tried listening to lectures/Goljan while running errands or going to visit my wife on weekends I usually zoned out. I found it more productive to use the time to just listen to whatever I was in the mood for, let my mind wander, and decompress or listen to NPR and catch up on news.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. lol sometimes I need reminded to take time to refresh &relax

I second this (other than the techno/ambient music - unless it’s Aphex Twin or Boards of Canada). I tried listening to lectures and Goljan while walking to school to study (never attended lectures unless they were mandatory, but did 99% of studying at school) and found I needed a break and would have more trouble just jumping into studying when I got there. When I tried listening to lectures/Goljan while running errands or going to visit my wife on weekends I usually zoned out. I found it more productive to use the time to just listen to whatever I was in the mood for, let my mind wander, and decompress or listen to NPR and catch up on news.
Thank you for your perspective on this. It makes sense, for sure.