MD What to do during a leave of absence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OOORLY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year sucked... I got backed into a corner and have to take a leave of absence to stay with the next application cycle.
The question is, should I choose a job where I get to procure organs in the OR or one where I could coordinate organ donations by phone be better?

I have always wanted to work in the surgical field, but being in school for so long ( i have 3 advanced degrees) I feel like there are some interprofessional skills that I am lacking. Maybe it would benefit me to smooth out my edges, if you know what I mean. The hands-on procurement job is much more demanding and only pays a dollar more than the phone coordinator position... What would you do in my position?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Last year sucked... I got backed into a corner and have to take a leave of absence to stay with the next application cycle.
The question is, should I choose a job where I get to procure organs in the OR or one where I could coordinate organ donations by phone be better?

I have always wanted to work in the surgical field, but being in school for so long ( i have 3 advanced degrees) I feel like there are some interpersonal skills that I am lacking. Maybe it would benefit me to smooth out my edges, if you know what I mean. The hands-on procurement job is much more demanding and only pays a dollar more than the phone coordinator position... What would you do in my position?

Thank you!!
Take the job you'd see yourself enjoying more. If you're looking at building "interpersonal skills" there are plenty of ways to do that outside of work.

This may be dumbing it down, but interpersonal skills really just involve listening, respect, confidence in posture and voice.

Reactions: 1 users
Take the job you'd see yourself enjoying more. If you're looking at building "interpersonal skills" there are plenty of ways to do that outside of work.

This may be dumbing it down, but interpersonal skills really just involve listening, respect, confidence in posture and voice.
Thanks! I love your handle btw. I meant more interprofessional skills? Skills that would allow me to succeed in a surgical specialty? this is a good point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I love your handle btw. I meant more interprofessional skills? Skills that would allow me to succeed in a surgical specialty? this is a good point.
I don't know much about 'developing' these skills as personally it was never something I've actively worked on - but there's plenty of time and exposure to do that during med school and I doubt organ procurement won't help at all in this department. It seems like a cool and interesting job, one that you're into, and potentially has the most translatable skills that actually does take time to develop so I'd go with that.

Reactions: 1 user
If you still have to apply and will be returning to school, I suggest getting a research position so you can always spin the LOA as a research year.

Whatever it is you do, ideally your time off would contribute to your application in some way. This may or may need be feasible, depending on your responsibilities; e.g., it may be difficult to find a full-time position doing something “for your application” if you have bills to pay and need to have a steady income. But even if you’re working and doing something that isn’t clinically oriented, find some time to stay academically/clinically engaged. Maybe try and do some research at your institution after you graduate. Continue to get some clinical experience. Do some kind of volunteer/service work, ideally clinically oriented. The specifics don’t really matter, but it’s not going to look great if you have nothing to talk about that‘s relevant to your application for the year that you’re off.

Add self awareness and coping skills to the list of skills mentioned above.

Your medical career is in jeopardy, and you're still obsessing on a surgical subspecialty????

Focus on fixing your deficits that got you into this mess first and foremost.

That includes moving directly from denial to acceptance.

Add self awareness and coping skills to the list of skills mentioned above.

Your medical career is in jeopardy, and you're still obsessing on a surgical subspecialty????

Focus on fixing your deficits that got you into this mess first and foremost.

That includes moving directly from denial to acceptance.
You’ve mentioned skills I need to work on. How do I work on them? What makes you say I am in denial? What do I have to deny?

My medical career is not in jeopardy. I have never to this day failed any course. I don’t have unprofessional marks and I am no where close to dismissal.

...Kind of feels like you’re hating on me right now when I’m just trying to figure out what to do during this time. I’m not perfect, I am human and I make mistakes from time to time. People misunderstand me from time to time. I take care of my patients like I would my own family and treat them with respect. Am I missing something here?

Whatever it is you do, ideally your time off would contribute to your application in some way. This may or may need be feasible, depending on your responsibilities; e.g., it may be difficult to find a full-time position doing something “for your application” if you have bills to pay and need to have a steady income. But even if you’re working and doing something that isn’t clinically oriented, find some time to stay academically/clinically engaged. Maybe try and do some research at your institution after you graduate. Continue to get some clinical experience. Do some kind of volunteer/service work, ideally clinically oriented. The specifics don’t really matter, but it’s not going to look great if you have nothing to talk about that‘s relevant to your application for the year that you’re off.
Thank you for your well thought out response and the direction you’ve provided. Yes, I have no choice but to apply for full time positions to be financially stable since my loans will start accruing like crazy 1/31.