What to do between graduation and residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FAMUPharmD09

Pharm.D.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the easy answer is study for the NAPLEX and MPJE, but should I work as a grad intern and make some money for a couple of months until residency or just study and relax before residency starts?

Members don't see this ad.

My plan is to take the Naplex as soon as allowed, then travel for a month, then come back for my residency. I hope everything will work out as I have to buy my plane ticket months in advance. I have the rest of my life to work. That will probably be my last "summer of freedom"

Last edited:
I only have 2 weeks between the end of rotations and graduation. I may make a trip to wherever I'm going to find a place to live. I will also work, work, work, work, and then work a little more. We're trying to see if they can hire me on as a casual pool pharmacist as the hospital where I work does not have a graduate intern position and I would make real pharmacist moneys even before I took the naplex.

Members don't see this ad :)
My recommendation: take a break! Unless you're REALLY hurting for money, take advantage of your last few days off. Study a bit, take your exams, go on a vacation. You won't regret it, especially when you're up to your ears in projects wishing you could take a weekend off.

Iinterviewed 8 places. So between hotels, airfare, car rentals, food - well, I refuse to add up those expenses. I'm just stimulating American Express.

But I seriously have no money at this point. I was hoping to take a trip to Africa to visit my best friend but again, no money. And I don't know if I have enough time to make it worth it.

Yeah, same with me and the money issue. After paying for my exams, pharmacy license, and moving across the country, I will have no money. I dunno how people take month-long trips unless they have a job or help from the 'rents.

I worked like 25, 30 hours a week in p4, so I kinda relaxed before my naplex, mpje :)

I traveled and studied with my classmates together for like 1.5 months before I moved to another state :) it was the best times in college

Most of the time you need to be licensed either before, or very soon after your residency starts, and it may be hard to get your test scheduled on the day you want at the location you want, so better be prepared to take NAPLEX/MPJE at the time that is not too convenient for you. That should be the most important element in you planning your time.

Most of the time you need to be licensed either before, or very soon after your residency starts, and it may be hard to get your test scheduled on the day you want at the location you want, so better be prepared to take NAPLEX/MPJE at the time that is not too convenient for you. That should be the most important element in you planning your time.

That is the biggest issue that I have right now. Would taking the exam early help? I have about 1.5 months between graduation and residency, so anywhere between the first 3 weeks after graduation is fine. I don't have a problem with the location, I'm willing to travel.

That is the biggest issue that I have right now. Would taking the exam early help? I have about 1.5 months between graduation and residency, so anywhere between the first 3 weeks after graduation is fine. I don't have a problem with the location, I'm willing to travel.

Taking the exam will not help too much in my opinion. Most programs list that licensure is "required" by the start date, however, this often does not happen. I have entered two residencies at two competitive programs, and was not licensed by day 1 for either. Would I have liked to have been? Sure. Is it realistic, based on my experience with boards of pharmacy and other circumstances, no.

For my PGY1, I was licensed by week 2, for my PGY2, it took until MONTH 3. It didn't matter at either institution. Now, would it be much less stressful in life to be licensed as early as possible, hell yes, but you will not be turned away that first Monday from any program if you are not able to produce a license.