What to bring on Interview Day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diana_UC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

So, what do people normally bring with them on interview day?

I have heard of copies of your CV in a more traditional format?
Also, copies of any abstracts or publications??
A little binder with prepared questions and a spot to take notes???

I have also heard mention of business cards (but this is ludicrous, right?!?!?!?)

Any other thoughts......?

Members don't see this ad.

Bring a big check for the hospital's new cardiovascular center that your parents will be funding.

Silly question, but regarding bringing publications to the interview - do you think a xerox copy will suffice or should i order a bunch of reprints (which is expensive)? Also, are you actually supposed to offer them a copy of your publication, or do you wait for it to come up in the interview? And should you even bother if its a publication dating back several years (pre-medschool)?

I took copies of my CV and pubs and never once gave any one of them away, even though I offered quite frequently. By the end of the season I didn't even bother to offer. I figured if someone actually cared, they'd ask. I took a portfolio/folder thing w/ pockets for the paperwork and a notepad to take notes (which I never looked at again) and a place to put the huge quantities of propaganda you'll get from the programs.

In general, take as little as possible simply because whatever you'll bring you'll probably have to lug with you all over a hospital/campus all day. Don't worry about bringing food or water (unless you have significant dietary restrictions) as the programs will provide plenty of it.

Good luck,
BE (now PE)

If you are traveling across the country would you bring your suitcase... or store it in the hotel lobby untill you are done for the day?

Silly question, but regarding bringing publications to the interview - do you think a xerox copy will suffice or should i order a bunch of reprints (which is expensive)? Also, are you actually supposed to offer them a copy of your publication, or do you wait for it to come up in the interview? And should you even bother if its a publication dating back several years (pre-medschool)?

Most journals are available in pdf format these days, and you can print off a copy in color without ordering reprints. On the few occasions I gave away copies, it came up in the interview, and if the interviewer expressed interest in a specific thing from one of them, I'd say "I have a copy here if you want one" then give it to them if they said yes.

As for my CV, I had copies but never gave them out.

If you are traveling across the country would you bring your suitcase... or store it in the hotel lobby untill you are done for the day?

Depends on what time your flight is and how close your hotel is. I tried to avoid bringing my suitcase to the interview because it was a pain, but sometimes it couldn't be helped.