what time for registration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeyworm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know what time mcat registration will open tomorrow? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is really funny.... we come to this site to learn what people did to do well on mcat (studying materials, duration of study, and # of practice exams). And, now people are posting what internet browsers they used to register. Is this just me? But, I find this very funny.

Good luck everyone who haven't been able to register yet. I haven't either.

It's great that we have people who share same troubles.

Still here... I've been on since 7am EST, but I've had to switch computers a few times. I just started running Firefox and IE about an hour before it went into "maintenance" mode.

Ugh.

-BP

"We apologize for the inconvenience we are down for maintenance.
If you have questions please call the MCAT Help Desk at (202) 828-0690."

shut out from two different computers and three different browsers (firefox and two ie versions). wth!? :mad:

i sooo want to be calm about this, but i've gotta be honest, it's driving me up the wall. can anyone who's finally successful (no second choices, no half-way in) post and let us know how you did it? thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys,

Just a bit of help for you: by opening multiple windows/tabs, you slow down the system and delay your own registration. Stay with one window and refresh it. Use your other windows to actually do some work. It may be counter-intuitive, but the fewer users the computer likely sees, the easier the system may be able to accommodate you.

I just received this email with a helpful hint for registration:

Message forwarded from Michelle Sparacino, Director of MCAT Test Administration & Operations:

At noon today, Eastern time, registration opened for the January 2008 administrations of the MCAT exam. The system is running smoothly and as of 4:10 pm, we had over 1,300 reservations.

We have noticed one issue for which we would welcome your assistance in communicating with your students. In an attempt to enter the Scheduling & Registration (S&R) system faster, examinees are opening multiple browsers or multiple tabs within a browser. Since our system will recognize only one connection from a computer at one time, this behavior actually works against the student, because the connections will reset one another, sending the examinee back to the welcome screen. The examinee will therefore never get out of welcome screen to the S&R login screen.

We learned of this method by monitoring studentdoctor.net and from some recent inquiries into our call center. We will post the following message on our web site, but would also appreciate your assistance in disseminating it:

Helpful Hint: Opening multiple browser windows and/or multiple tabs in a web browser decreases the chances that you will get into the system and is very likely to significantly increase your wait time.

Looks like it's a wrap for today guys. The dilligent folks at AMCAS have clocked out and left us a nice little message as they head to the pub. You'd really think with all the problems from last cycle they would have their s* together by now.

All of the registrants opening multiple windows essentially created a denial of service attack on the aamc website. Way to go guys!

I just think there should be a better system. If ticketmaster.com can handle massive traffic when certain events go on sale, then AAMC should be able to work out something more efficient (especially since each MCAT seat costs $210). With all that money per head, you'd think that they could perhaps even have a 24 hr help/technical assistance line. Today was a complete disaster. Not being able to get a concert ticket would be an "inconvenience"...not being able to take the test that more or less determines your future is injustice. :mad:

I beg to differ. You will still be able to register for your exam...perhaps tomorrow. At worst, you might have to take the exam in April. As far as design goes, perhaps it could be better. But let's say (just for example) that 3000 people tried to sign up today. Doesn't sound like all that many people. If a couple of people get impatient in line, however, and decide to open 10-15 windows waiting to get registered, it looks to the server as though there are 30,000-45,000 people in line, way too many to handle. By opening another window, all people are doing, is putting another "person" in line...

That's understandable. I just wish that perhaps they could have formatted the system as to avoid it even being possible to have multiple windows open, each being considered a separate entity. Opening multiple windows should have been anticipated. Even one page allowed per IP address might have helped a bit??? I don't know...there just needs to be a better way.

Hello January 2008 MCAT takers,

Has anyone not been able to register today? I tried registering all day and all I got was the "...we are down for maintenance" screen. Does this mean I won't be able to register until tomorrow? Also, does anyone know how fast, on average, testing locations tend to fill up? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello January 2008 MCAT takers,

Has anyone not been able to register today? I tried registering all day and all I got was the "...we are down for maintenance" screen. Does this mean I won't be able to register until tomorrow? Also, does anyone know how fast, on average, testing locations tend to fill up? Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem last time I tried to register. When I was finally able to access the site, the test center I wanted was full. The server timed out when I was on the checkout page multiple times and my credit card was charged 4 times. AAMC is in the business of taking your money. Since there's no alternative their service probably won't change and they don't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
whew, I guess Im a lucky one since I got registered today...but I do feel the pain of those who had to wait...my wait time was about 40-45min till I was able to log in...but how in the world did some of you have to waste the whole day and didn't get registered? Im really pissed for you guys...**** the aamc...ok back to study...good luck on wed. remember to follow their tips, otherwise you will waste your time while you can study the beast.

as of 9:30am EST. absolutely no wait time. mozilla... only one window. first attempt and got through to log-in. good luck! hope everyone gets their test site of choice!

i don't see the registration link. Please help. All it say is "News
Registration is open for the January 2008 administrations of the MCAT Exam.":confused:

HEY GUYS,

FOUND THIS LINK (WHEN i GOOGLED). http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/registration.htm

aND, i AM FINALLY registered. Whoops... post 24 hours

Hopefully, this feeling of euphoria will only increase with time and especially after seeing a desirable MCAT score.

Wish you all good luck with your MCAT preparation. Back to the board-room.:thumbup:

So I finally registered as well. But what's the deal....is the test at 8:00 AM or at 12:00 PM like it says I'm registered for? Anyone know?

I'm in too! :) Yeah there is no wait today. Mozilla, one window, in within 3 minutes.

They are really tricky though since they said it wouldn't be open until at least 12 eastern which is still like an hour away. I decided to check anyways just in case. Good thing!

Good luck guys.

Finally registered...1/26/08 @ 12pm. Thank God! I guess donut man stayed up late last night actually doing something. haha. :laugh:

registered myself as well and it's my first attempt.

and now i'm back to preparing for the battle;)