What threshold score are your schools using for the new COMSAE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just took ours and we need to pass with over 400

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my classes experience with COMSAE, if I was setting it, I wouldn't let anyone take the COMLEX unless they got over 500.

Members don't see this ad :)
why? You need a 400 to pass
Because a decent amount of people in my class scored a 100 less (or more) than their COMSAE predicted. A large enough portion that there is no way I would set 400 as a pass. The test is not correlated well.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s 350

Then 400

Then 450

These historically have poor correlation. There’s a new complex dropping this year and no one seems to care. Will be interesting to see how the COMs react to the likely lower pass rates we’ll see this year.

I scored about 100 above...
You are not who we set the threshold for. I do not care that people score 100 above, the threshold doesn't matter for them, I care very much about the people who fail that were 'supposed to' pass.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s 350

Then 400

Then 450

These historically have poor correlation. There’s a new complex dropping this year and no one seems to care. Will be interesting to see how the COMs react to the likely lower pass rates we’ll see this year.
350 the first time?

350 the first time?
As a baseline several months out. It’s designed to sort of shock those that haven’t started prepping yet. If you miss that mark I think you have to meet with someone to discuss how you’re gonna ramp up. If you miss the second mark, you’re offered a board prep course at no cost to the student.

Literally everyone I know scored much better than their Comsae predicted. Just giving a counterpoint to your superfluous remark
You need to get out more if you haven't met anyone who scored worse. Perhaps you could even read the comlex thread on it. I could care less about the people who scored better, thats great for them, but you don't set standards for minimum scores based on positive outliers. This is a screening exam, I want false positives. Its acceptable to call people 'at risk' who might not be, but to tell people they are fine when they aren't is not okay. I would rather delay people who didn't need to be rather than force people who aren't really ready for the exam to sit.

Reactions: 2 users
450. There is a 100 point plus minus. COMSAEs are crap. If you score at least 500 then you at least know you’ll pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to get out more if you haven't met anyone who scored worse. Perhaps you could even read the comlex thread on it. I could care less about the people who scored better, thats great for them, but you don't set standards for minimum scores based on positive outliers. This is a screening exam, I want false positives. Its acceptable to call people 'at risk' who might not be, but to tell people they are fine when they aren't is not okay. I would rather delay people who didn't need to be rather than force people who aren't really ready for the exam to sit.

Hyperbole aside, our school has 10 year trend data that shows a 450 on COMSAE D yields a 87% chance of scoring higher than 450 on the real thing. Test day issues like anxiety, etc aside, it's as good a predictor as we got right now. The fact that some people score less is to be assumed. There are no guarantees.

Heck, people who scored 250 on their first COMSAE and 440 on the second on scored 550+ on the real test day. Obviously this is niche data, but it's so variable how people score the COMLEX that you're asking the schools to predict the impossible. The Standard deviation on the COMLEX itself is a whopping 80 points! It's not a precise enough exam to be able to predict who will score a 380 or a 460.

400. If you don't get that you have to enter a prep course and take a second COMSAE in May. Students with under 450 have the option of entering the prep course.

500, as of this year, which is wild considering my school's COMLEX average is a 514.

• Wow
ACOM: c/o 2019 was 450, c/o 2020 was 480, c/o 2021 is 500 (550 to opt out of a "clinical capstone course" that the school "offers" to its students prior to COMLEX.

This is based on a previous SDN thread.
Updated Based On Posts
UNECOM 500 COMSAE D
TUNCOM 500 COMSAE D
VCOM 480 COMSAE E, If you score a 450-479 you have to set up a meeting, any lower and you have to retake a COMSAE.
ACOM 480 COMSAE E
TOUROCOM 475 COMSAE D
CCOM 475 COMSAE D
MSUCOM 450 COMSAE E
ROWANSOM 450
KCOM 450 COMSAE C
WCUCOM 450
LECOM 450 COMSAE D
CUSOM 450 COMSAE D
AZCOM 450 COMSAE D
DMUCOM 450 COMSAE D
ATSU SOMA 450 COMSAE D
ACOM 450 COMSAE D
NYITCOM 450 COMSAE D, If you score between 425-449, you have to meet with academic enrichment and retake a COMSAE. If no improvement, delay is recommended with Directed Study Program (10 week course). Between 400-424, same thing. Less than 400, delay and do Directed Study Program.
OSUCOM 450, mandatory 4 week Kaplan course if you don’t get that, then retest.
PNWU-COM 440 COMSAE
LMUDCOM 400 COMSAE D
RVUCOM Not required

ACOM: c/o 2019 was 450, c/o 2020 was 480, c/o 2021 is 500 (550 to opt out of a "clinical capstone course" that the school "offers" to its students prior to COMLEX.

I guess ACOM's really looking to push their first time pass rate above 90%.

Y'all realize the new COMSAE isn't even predictive yet of the new COMLEX blueprint right? It's right on the NBOME website itself.

"Important News Regarding COMSAE Phase 1 Score Reports

Following the implementation of the new blueprint, and administration of the enhanced Level 1 examination, a new passing standard will be set in June of 2019 at which point, the new passing standard will be applied to COMSAE Phase 1. With this in mind, caution should be exercised in using COMSAE Phase scores to estimate subsequent COMLEX-USA Level scores."
I’m confused AF about the whole “Blueprint” thing. What exactly is changing on the exam?

Y'all realize the new COMSAE isn't even predictive yet of the new COMLEX blueprint right? It's right on the NBOME website itself.

"Important News Regarding COMSAE Phase 1 Score Reports

Following the implementation of the new blueprint, and administration of the enhanced Level 1 examination, a new passing standard will be set in June of 2019 at which point, the new passing standard will be applied to COMSAE Phase 1. With this in mind, caution should be exercised in using COMSAE Phase scores to estimate subsequent COMLEX-USA Level scores."
So everyone about to take the comlex is just a guinea pig and has no idea what they’re getting themselves into? Awesome.

EDIT: Just realized. First to take newMCAT when i applied, first to take new comlex in school, second class to be post merger. Talk about bad luck lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
So everyone about to take the comlex is just a guinea pig and has no idea what they’re getting themselves into? Awesome.

EDIT: Just realized. First to take newMCAT when i applied, first to take new comlex in school, second class to be post merger. Talk about bad luck lol

Wow. If you ever visit San Francisco then I hope it does not get rocked by an earthquake.

Reactions: 3 users

Yup. My thoughts exactly. New MCAT, new COMSAE/COMLEX, new NBMEs for step 1. Great to be in the class of 2021.
There is also a rumor that the USMLE is getting an upgrade as well, but hopefully it won't happen in the next couple years.

Last edited:
There is also a rumor that the USMLE is getting an upgrade as well, but hopefully it won't happen in the next couple years.
Just bring it at this point. I’m just numb to the BS lol

Reactions: 4 users
I called NBOME about the changes a couple months ago, and at least for level II, they claimed that they are making the content adhere to the 'percentages' of the blueprint more closely this year, rather than changing content again (as 2018 was the culling year for them to beat down the averages again). In theory this is good, because you can't get the 'my whole test was OB and I suck at it!' phenomena that used to be common.

But based on what is on the website I am inclined to think they are raising the percentage of questions one needs to get right in order to pass also. This is weird, cause they just did that last year. Also saying the COMSAE doesn't correlate well doesn't surprise me at all. They probably took heat for that from schools last year.

I called NBOME about the changes a couple months ago, and at least for level II, they claimed that they are making the content adhere to the 'percentages' of the blueprint more closely this year, rather than changing content again (as 2018 was the culling year for them to beat down the averages again). In theory this is good, because you can't get the 'my whole test was OB and I suck at it!' phenomena that used to be common.

But based on what is on the website I am inclined to think they are raising the percentage of questions one needs to get right in order to pass also. This is weird, cause they just did that last year. Also saying the COMSAE doesn't correlate well doesn't surprise me at all. They probably took heat for that from schools last year.
I think the worst part to me is that my school seems to completely not care about any potential changes and are just clearly planning to react to higher fail rates if they need to. We’ve had one forum meeting where we were told it’s going to be different and that we need to read the blueprint to figure out the difference. Literally, almost 100% of your schools job in preclinicals is to prepare you to pass this exam and now they act like they don’t know what’s even on it. End rant.

• Love
Supposedly COMBANK is already prepared for the changes, maybe I should make more time for combank questions instead of focusing on just Uworld blocks?

I still feel like combank is much easier than Uworld, but who even knows anymore. Man, what a mess.

Supposedly COMBANK is already prepared for the changes, maybe I should make more time for combank questions instead of focusing on just Uworld blocks?

I still feel like combank is much easier than Uworld, but who even knows anymore. Man, what a mess.
Lol, they just changed the look in COMBANK, the questions are all the same (hence my notes are still on them). I think the old adage of uworld and green book will work fine for most. That said, I think still think COMQUEST is great for getting you used to the massive stems. I like it so much better than COMBANK.

Of course Uworld is the best questions, but that style isn't how COMLEX rolls. They want to waste your time, so getting used to obnoxiously long stems is good training.

The issue is we have new COMSAE’s too, which people don’t know how to predict. My school administered COMSAE 105 (new blueprint) this year so no data to see how it correlates.

Are the pass rates the same for your classes? In our class, many more people failed these forms than last year.

Updated Based On Posts
UNECOM 500 COMSAE D
TUNCOM 500 COMSAE D
ACOM 500
VCOM 480 COMSAE E, If you score a 450-479 you have to set up a meeting, any lower and you have to retake a COMSAE.
TOUROCOM 475 COMSAE D
CCOM 475 COMSAE D
MSUCOM 450 COMSAE E
ROWANSOM 450
KCOM 450 COMSAE C
WCUCOM 450
LECOM 450 COMSAE D
CUSOM 450 COMSAE D
AZCOM 450 COMSAE D
DMUCOM 450 COMSAE D
ATSU SOMA 450 COMSAE D
ARCOM 450
NYITCOM 450 COMSAE D, If you score between 425-449, you have to meet with academic enrichment and retake a COMSAE. If no improvement, delay is recommended with Directed Study Program (10 week course). Between 400-424, same thing. Less than 400, delay and do Directed Study Program.
PNWU-COM 440 COMSAE
LMUDCOM 400 COMSAE D
RVUCOM Not required

Lol these are old COMSAE scores. The new COMSAE's are much harsher. The average for our school administered COMSAE was in the low 400s, with the high score being mid 600s. Reports from multiple faculty members is this is the trend accross the country. To put that into perspective last years COMSAE D given to the class at the beginning of dedicated had an average that was almost 500 and there were more than a handful 700s.

tldr. any school with a cutoff higher than like 425 is going to have the majority of the class being considered at risk for failing COMLEX and having to do some form of study course administered by the school (aka a living nightmare).

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Lol these are old COMSAE scores. The new COMSAE's are much harsher. The average for our school administered COMSAE was in the low 400s, with the high score being mid 600s. Reports from multiple faculty members is this is the trend accross the country. To put that into perspective last years COMSAE D given to the class at the beginning of dedicated had an average that was almost 500 and there were more than a handful 700s.

tldr. any school with a cutoff higher than like 425 is going to have the majority of the class being considered at risk for failing COMLEX and having to do some form of study course administered by the school (aka a living nightmare).

Yeah my school recently changed their policy but is keeping the 450 cutoff but the consequence for not meeting the cutoff or having 2+ failed courses is to meet with academic advising prior to taking the comlex to discuss a study plan, but from the sounds of it you can still take the exam. So I guess it's a "soft" cutoff now

PCOM is still up in the air as well. Dean isn't releasing any data and trying to make sense of it all. We took COMSAE form 105 (which is the form I assume you're talking about) and currently has set a cutoff of 470 as being prepared for COMLEX based on previous years data. (with previous years having a 70-80 point deviation + or - from your score vs. what you will get).

Updated Based On Posts
UNECOM 500 COMSAE D
TUNCOM 500 COMSAE D
ACOM 500
TOUROCOM 475 COMSAE D
CCOM 475 COMSAE D
MSUCOM 450 COMSAE E
ROWANSOM 450
KCOM 450 COMSAE C
WCUCOM 450
LECOM 450 COMSAE D
CUSOM 450 COMSAE D
AZCOM 450 COMSAE D
DMUCOM 450 COMSAE D
ATSU SOMA 450 COMSAE D
ARCOM 450
PNWU-COM 440 COMSAE
LMUDCOM 400 COMSAE D
RVUCOM Not required
PCOM 470 COMSAE form 105 (or any new 2019 COMSAE) w/ a score of 330 or lower having to meet with faculty to discuss a COMLEX level 1 success plan.

Yeah my school recently changed their policy but is keeping the 450 cutoff but the consequence for not meeting the cutoff or having 2+ failed courses is to meet with academic advising prior to taking the comlex to discuss a study plan, but from the sounds of it you can still take the exam. So I guess it's a "soft" cutoff now
PCOM is still up in the air as well. Dean isn't releasing any data and trying to make sense of it all. We took COMSAE form 105 (which is the form I assume you're talking about) and currently has set a cutoff of 470 as being prepared for COMLEX based on previous years data. (with previous years having a 70-80 point deviation + or - from your score vs. what you will get).

Yeah our school used to have a hard cutoff of 450 and if you didn't get it you had to do a Kaplan course but based on the stats of the COMSAE we just took they are adjusting it. Apparently they talked with NBOME because of the deviation from the usual average we have and the NBOME said that almost all schools that have already administered one have seen almost a drop in 100 points in their COMSAE averages. I think the NBOME is responding to all the heat they took last year with a lot of people failing their actual COMLEX after getting high 400s-low 500s on COMSAE's. Not necessarily a bad thing they are harder.

I'll just say this for anyone who hasn't taken one yet or is curious about the new blueprint. Having taken an old COMSAE and a couple of the new ones I can tell you that OMM is huge now and is what will make or break your score. The NBOME seems to have doubled down on being stupid and has decided to heavily emphasize OMM in an effort to highlight how we are different from MDs (lololol is anyone surprised they are completely incompetent at this point?).

Reactions: 4 users
I'll just say this for anyone who hasn't taken one yet or is curious about the new blueprint. Having taken an old COMSAE and a couple of the new ones I can tell you that OMM is huge now and is what will make or break your score. The NBOME seems to have doubled down on being stupid and has decided to heavily emphasize OMM in an effort to highlight how we are different from MDs (lololol is anyone surprised they are completely incompetent at this point?).

If this is true all the current OMM gunners will be ortho/derm gunners post comlex

With the amount of OMM studying ive done in the past 2 yrs im well on track to getting a 0.1%tile in OMM on comlex

• Haha
Yeah our school used to have a hard cutoff of 450 and if you didn't get it you had to do a Kaplan course but based on the stats of the COMSAE we just took they are adjusting it. Apparently they talked with NBOME because of the deviation from the usual average we have and the NBOME said that almost all schools that have already administered one have seen almost a drop in 100 points in their COMSAE averages. I think the NBOME is responding to all the heat they took last year with a lot of people failing their actual COMLEX after getting high 400s-low 500s on COMSAE's. Not necessarily a bad thing they are harder.

Loll I hope this is true. OMM is one of my strong points. But I don't think so based on COMSAE 105. It was heavily just focus on Cranial and seemed as heavy as expected, not more. Not sure how other COMSAE's are, but it's always been known that OMM comprises something like 20-22% of the exam (it's the single highest category on COMLEX, with COMBANK having like 350/2000 questions on it).

There was a lot of smaller stuff I was shocked about, like knowing primary vs. secondary prevention, random factoids from First Aid that didn't seem high yield at all, and a decently large amount of questions on bioethics. Also there was a question that was practically word for word from combank, so it seems like combank is representative for the more minute stuff and OMM.

Loll I hope this is true. OMM is one of my strong points. But I don't think so based on COMSAE 105. It was heavily just focus on Cranial and seemed as heavy as expected, not more. Not sure how other COMSAE's are, but it's always been known that OMM comprises something like 20-22% of the exam (it's the single highest category on COMLEX, with COMBANK having like 350/2000 questions on it).

Eh you should take an old COMSAE. There is a difference in OMMness, with a lot of using OMM as a way to ask questions about normal pathology. Apparently that's a new thing they are doing. From what i've been told by faculty is that NBOME has always said 20% of OMM on COMLEX except in reality they never actually put that much on there. We took the other one I think, and I've personally taken 101/102 and old Form B.
There was a lot of smaller stuff I was shocked about, like knowing primary vs. secondary prevention, random factoids from First Aid that didn't seem high yield at all, and a decently large amount of questions on bioethics. Also there was a question that was practically word for word from combank, so it seems like combank is representative for the more minute stuff and OMM.

There are always like 5-8 questions that are completely random factoids or come out of left field. I legit got asked about some piece of legislation on 102.

My biggest gripe with the COMSAE's is actually the fact that you can't see the answers afterwards. The NBME's/UWSA's give you loads of info and all the COMSAE's do is tell you that you are borderline in "systems practice in osteopathic principles" or something stupid like that, as if I am supposed to know what that means.

Eh you should take an old COMSAE. There is a difference in OMMness, with a lot of using OMM as a way to ask questions about normal pathology. Apparently that's a new thing they are doing. From what i've been told by faculty is that NBOME has always said 20% of OMM on COMLEX except in reality they never actually put that much on there. We took the other one I think, and I've personally taken 101/102 and old Form B.

There are always like 5-8 questions that are completely random factoids or come out of left field. I legit got asked about some piece of legislation on 102.

My biggest gripe with the COMSAE's is actually the fact that you can't see the answers afterwards. The NBME's/UWSA's give you loads of info and all the COMSAE's do is tell you that you are borderline in "systems practice in osteopathic principles" or something stupid like that, as if I am supposed to know what that means.

YES, I freaking hate that!!! I think when I take my next COMSAE, I'm gonna do it untimed, except actually time myself. Then at the end of 4 hrs take pics of each questions with my selected answer and review to see what I actually missed or not and use it as a learning tool. But yea pretty ridiculous

Hey sorry but I’m confused. Are the “new” comsaes the ones on the nbome website now? I didn’t know that the ones that are on the website now are different than those from last year. How have you taken old and new ones to be able to compare?

Hey sorry but I’m confused. Are the “new” comsaes the ones on the nbome website now? I didn’t know that the ones that are on the website now are different than those from last year. How have you taken old and new ones to be able to compare?

The old ones went away like last week or something, and the new ones have been on the website since like December. For a while you could purchase both. The old ones were entitled "Form A, Form B, etc" and the news ones are "New Blueprint 101, new blueprint 102, etc"

But yes the ones on the website are different than the ones from last year.

Thanks. I took a comsae yesterday and couldn’t really tell a difference from the one i took last month so this is weird to me.

Sort of related: anyone heard anything about the Combank 400q practice exam and how it might compare to any of this? Is is just 400 more questions just like their qbank questions? My school does Form D early spring and then this Combank full length. Combank is a joke though so I'm wondering how much OMM I need to study the day before to keep the school out of my way. If it's just like Combank I'm just going to wing it.