What states are best for podiatrists to practice in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman69

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to which states in the US are most receptive to pods, and pay the best. I've noticed that most of the states with good residencies have a good practice environment for podiatrists (OR, CO, WA, MN, IL). Is it a coincidence that most of the places with good residencies pay podiatrists well? I know Oregon pays the most in the country, with MN not too for behind. Is this simply supply and demand economics at work, or other factors at play?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious as to which states in the US are most receptive to pods, and pay the best. I've noticed that most of the states with good residencies have a good practice environment for podiatrists (OR, CO, WA, MN, IL). Is it a coincidence that most of the places with good residencies pay podiatrists well? I know Oregon pays the most in the country, with MN not too for behind. Is this simply supply and demand economics at work, or other factors at play?

This is a question that people usually equate with "scope of practice" and not pay. A well-trained podiatrist will do well pretty much anywhere as long as he/she makes good decisions that have to do with the things that you mentioned above (the market, etc).

I had origionally hoped to return to Kansas to practice someday, but the scope of practice there is so bad I don't think I will ever go back. If it doesn't bother you to not be able to practice within your full scope of training though, there is a lot of money to be made in KS. A pod in Wichita told me that a partial nail avulsion pays 3X as much in KS than it does in MI and with the large aircraft industry there everyone has pretty good insurance.

I guess what I what meant to say is this: what states have the best scope of practice coupled with good pay?