What specialty suits me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Education

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my transitional year in medicine and am having a bit of a problem choosing a specialty. I have been reading Brian Freeman's book "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty," taking personal personality assessments, and overall taking time to be completely honest and accepting of my strengths and my weakness. I have provided some info about myself and any advice is much appreciated.
So about me- I am a highly independent, self-motivated, and studious person. I have done well in every specialty, but I am not interested in all of them. I realize that I enjoy working in environments that are very relaxed with high autonomy and minimal/no supervision. I like to work at my own pace. I do not like late hours or call. I do not like rounding on patients for hours. I also don't really desire to clinically manage or treat patients, particularly patients with chronic, unremitting conditions. I like seeing immediate results in treatment, or otherwise. I thoroughly enjoy researching and ultimately finding a diagnosis based on the clinical information, recommending a treatment plan, but not particulary providing the treatment. I enjoy reading, and prefer to read rather than see patients. I find that I am really good at memorizing diagnostic criteria and treatment for many disease processes. I also love to teach; I've felt very gratified helping other med students and residents when they have questions. I do not like diagnostic ambiguity. I find that my happiest days are when I am free to do my work in a quiet space without someone hovering over me or constantly critiquing my performance. In addition, I am more of a solo flyer, and prefer independent duties rather than team related jobs. Mind you, I do not have an issue working with people. Most people say I am quite friendly, sociable, and laid back. Nevertheless, I avoid certain personalities and environments that I've come across in certain specialties, which is why I've eliminated surgical residency. Moreover, I want regular 9-5 hours, preferably 4-5 day work weeks. I am a pretty confident and self motivated person, yet very laid back; I want a practice where I am in control and I am my own boss. Based on an assessment I took, I am best suited for derm, psych, path, and radiology. Does anyone have any advice/assessments about any of these specialties? Are there any other specialties I should consider? Are there any other resources I should look into for making my final decision? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.