what size needle for cath?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamhock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please respect a 'simple' question from a very non-IM and def non-cards person:

What gauge is used to access the femoral?
HH

Members don't see this ad.

OP, you do realize that there is a big sheath (kind of like the ones you use when putting in an Introducer/Cordis thing when placing central venous access) that goes in the artery as well? This is after the initial puncture with the needle. Sometimes the sheath comes out before the patient leaves the cath lab...sometimes not.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you do realize that there is a big sheath (kind of like the ones you use when putting in an Introducer/Cordis thing when placing central venous access) that goes in the artery as well? This is after the initial puncture with the needle. Sometimes the sheath comes out before the patient leaves the cath lab...sometimes not.

Yeah, I surely know that. Back in the day, I remember doing way to many "post-cath checks" not to know that...intern year sucks.

I guess I should have been more specific with my original question. I am not so interested in the size of the needle as the size of the sheath...really just interested in the largest size of hole that is caused in the artery.

Anyone know?
Thanks, HH

The arterial sheath varies in size in context of the application and the institution.

the default femoral sheath is 6 french, 1 french = 1/3 mm, so the hole in the arterry is ~ 2 mm.

A sheath as small as 4 french, or as large as 14F in the case of perc AVR for example, can be used.

I've seen anything from 4 french - 8 french (1.3-2.6 mm) used for femoral artery access, depending on the attending and the procedure for routine cath/PCI.