This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nousernameavailable

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently persuing an associates of arts in Biology to major in Neuroscience. Aspiring to go to med school. I want to gain clinical experience as well as research experience or a job related to my career path. I am Interested in anything related to neurology, neuroscience, Neuroradiology and diseases such as Alzheimer's. What can I write on my resume objective??

Members don't see this ad.

Having hired a bunch of people and also having interviewed for lots of jobs and schools myself, I've never been a fan of or understood the necessity of the objective on a resume. Maybe I'm out of touch, but I'd skip it altogether...your objective is to get the job you're interviewing for.

Reactions: 1 users
Having hired a bunch of people and also having interviewed for lots of jobs and schools myself, I've never been a fan of or understood the necessity of the objective on a resume. Maybe I'm out of touch, but I'd skip it altogether...your objective is to get the job you're interviewing for.
This is really not helpful at all, but thanks for taking the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Objectives on resumes were a gimmick that became a fad. They are currently falling out of favor.

If you absolutely must use one, then the answer "to get the job you want" is not a joke. If you must use an objective statement, it should describe the position that you are seeking to attain. But really... that is what a cover letter is for. Your resume should be about who you are and what you have accomplished, not what you are applying for. They know what you are applying for. No one is fooled by seeing an objective statement that just happens to describe the exact job description from the ad. They know that you aren't just an oddly perfect fit who just so happens to be looking for what they are offering.

I mean, I guess if you are just trying to fill space on the page... but you'd be much better served to use that space in a way that actually helps you.

Reactions: 2 users
Mine is really empty, so it would be very helpful if you tell me what to write instead. Thanks!

You have to have some accomplishments. They don't all have to come from paid work experiences.

Under your education heading, at each school / degree / certificate entry -- if you held any leadership role in the program or received any particular award or honor, list it.

Under work experiences, for each one, find something that you can say about yourself that clearly demonstrates some quality that the employer is looking for. So, maybe you organized a new filing system in an office. Or you were responsible for cash handling and making bank deposits for the yogurt shop you worked at part time. Or whatever. Give specific instances, with concrete numbers.

- Exceeded sales goals in for 3 consecutive quarters by 20% or more.
- Coordinated with team to complete project under budget and 3 weeks before deadline

Etc.

If you don't have a lot of work experience, list volunteer experiences. Same idea.

Add a section for Skills. Give a bullet point list of skills that could be relevant to the position. This is a good place to list computer programs/languages/operating systems that you are comfortable with, technology that you are experienced in using, whatever. If you are having trouble thinking of things, look over the job description / advertisement and think about what kinds of skills you'd need to have to do that job well. If you have any of those, list them.

Since many resumes are now read by computers that do pattern matching, and never hit a human being's eyes before being autoselected or rejected for an interview, having the right buzz words (i.e. ones mentioned in the ad) can mean the difference between getting noticed and getting ignored.

There is lots of resume advice online. Some of it is good, a lot of it is dated, but you can find lots of templates of resumes to look through, to get an idea of what you might want to put in yours.

I never use a resume objective. It looks like a resume filler and that you don't have a good enough resume to write a real one. Skip it.

If you're willing to put it on a GoogleDoc, make it available for anonymous comments, and give me the link I'll review your resume! My mother interviews applicants for a major business scholarship and shows me the resumes she particularly likes and dislikes, so I've picked up some tips I'm willing to share.

Objectives are worthless. Employers know you want a job. Nobody expects you to be defined by a sentence or two.

Reactions: 1 user