What should I start on as a Sophomore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahris

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am very new here and I know I need to get started on Medical requirements. Here are my stats so far:

College: NYU
GPA: 3.1
Volunteer Work: 0
Shadowing: 0
Interns: 0
MCAT: Didn't take yet.
Race: Egyptian and Japanese (Does it count for affirmative action? I am put as black on my birth certificate, though I look very light skinned)
EDIT: I am majoring in Computer Science and Pre-Medicine.
EDIT: Also from a low income family and first generation in America.

So, I applied for volunteer at Cornell Medical Center and applied to 2 interns at NYU Langone Medical Center(one research and another just intern) over the summer(did not get any response from Cornell or NYU yet). Do you guys know what other things I should work on?

Like my goal is to become a doctor, perhaps a surgeon. So far leaning more towards Orthopedic but can go cardiologist as well. The reason i want to become a doctor is because I like interacting with people and to help them out when they need it. The job is also very respectable and also looks very admirable. If I am given the opportunity to volunteer to help people in Myamar, Syria, or any of the suffering countries out there(maybe not for my entire life, but as far as I can handle), I will try to help them out.

With these thoughts in mind, I have researched for a couple of other internships over Summer, but I want to know what you experienced people know will work best for my acceptance into medical school. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Figure out your sleep. Get your grades up. Find a community service/volunteer organization you can make consistent time for. Find a clinical volunteering experience you can do once a week for 4-6 hours. Your extracurriculars shouldn't take up more than 15 hours/week. If you stick to it and are consistent, you can have over 800 hours of both by the end of your senior year plus potentially some leadership positions. Research can be done during the summer when you aren't in class.

But, your focus should be on doing well in school. A 3.1 won't cut it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure North Africa is classified as white and not black by the AAMC and the commonapp (if that's still used for undergrad applications). Anyways, I'd still focus all your resources on getting your gpa as high as possible before you decide to add on ECs that will only give you less time to study.

And why are you asking SDN if you have symptoms of something. If you seriously think your "foggy memory" is due to a past incidence, you should get that checked out by a professional. Otherwise, I don't see how you could possibly survive med school and become the surgeon you aspire to become.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure North Africa is classified as white and not black by the AAMC and the commonapp (if that's still used for undergrad applications). Anyways, I'd still focus all your resources on getting your gpa as high as possible before you decide to add on ECs that will only give you less time to study.

And why are you asking SDN if you have symptoms of something. If you seriously think your "foggy memory" is due to a past incidence, you should get that checked out by a professional. Otherwise, I don't see how you could possibly survive med school and become the surgeon you aspire to become.

Okay, yeah symptoms are totally not needed to be included. Thanks a lot!

Figure out your sleep. Get your grades up. Find a community service/volunteer organization you can make consistent time for. Find a clinical volunteering experience you can do once a week for 4-6 hours. Your extracurriculars shouldn't take up more than 15 hours/week. If you stick to it and are consistent, you can have over 800 hours of both by the end of your senior year plus potentially some leadership positions. Research can be done during the summer when you aren't in class.

But, your focus should be on doing well in school. A 3.1 won't cut it.

Is hospital volunteering the same as clinical volunteering? Thanks!

Is hospital volunteering the same as clinical volunteering? Thanks!
Hospital volunteering does fall under clinical volunteering if and only if you have patient contact.

Reactions: 1 user
Hospital volunteering does fall under clinical volunteering if and only if you have patient contact.
Thanks! Yeah I applied to have patient contact for my volunteer at Cornell hospital. Wish to get the results in soon!