What should I read pre-Surgery rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyDaddy

Reaction score
I know there are plenty of textbooks out there for surgery. I've cracked open a couple and it seems like they are full of theory. Are there any that will prepare me for all the day-to-day stuff (how to remove a drain, what all the dressings are called, names of surgical instruments, acronyms, other practical things that I don't know that I don't know) as well as the theory? I guess half the battle is knowing what to ask. I kinda don't.

Members don't see this ad.

General consensus seems to be Pestana's for the day-to-day pimping questions and De Virgilio for shelf prep. I've been going through De Virgilio and it's an easy, but dense read.

I know there are plenty of textbooks out there for surgery. I've cracked open a couple and it seems like they are full of theory. Are there any that will prepare me for all the day-to-day stuff (how to remove a drain, what all the dressings are called, names of surgical instruments, acronyms, other practical things that I don't know that I don't know) as well as the theory? I guess half the battle is knowing what to ask. I kinda don't.

Dr. Pestana’s Surgery Notes and Surgical Recall are all you need. A question bank and OME will wrap things up nicely.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Pestana’s Surgery Notes and Surgical Recall are all you need. A question bank and OME will wrap things up nicely.
Thanks, I bought Pestana's now and look forward to digging in! Will look up Surgical Recall!

Practice your knots, review sterile technique. Scrub nurses LOVE to embarrass new 3rd yrs if they contaminate themselves accidentally. If you can have an idea of what cases you will be assigned, make sure you review all the pertinent anatomy. Good luck and best wishes

Reactions: 1 user