What should I emphasize during interviews at reach schools for a low-stat applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ymmvdo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

CA ORM 3.65gpa. Got a 501 on the MCAT. I thought I didn't have a chance at all at, but I applied extremely broadly and got a few IIs. Two of these interviews are reach schools for me (KCU and Western), I'm not sure why I got II in the first place, but they obviously see some strengths in my application. Any advice on what these strengths are/what I should emphasize on during the interview with stats far below their averages?

1000+hrs ED Tech
500+ hrs research (no pubs, several presentations)
200+ hrs clinical volunteering, 100+ hrs nonclinical
few leadership positions during undergrad years, nothing spectacular
Maybe I did well on casper??
Solid LORs/PS. good "story" on why Osteopathic > allopathic

Maybe I'm just overthinking and nervous 🥴

Members don't see this ad.

Emphasize your experience and your growth from the downfalls of your application! Definitely what you’ve learned from the Journey and how it will transition into being a successful medical student.

Hi all,

CA ORM 3.65gpa. Got a 501 on the MCAT. I thought I didn't have a chance at all at, but I applied extremely broadly and got a few IIs. Two of these interviews are reach schools for me (KCU and Western), I'm not sure why I got II in the first place, but they obviously see some strengths in my application. Any advice on what these strengths are/what I should emphasize on during the interview with stats far below their averages?

1000+hrs ED Tech
500+ hrs research (no pubs, several presentations)
200+ hrs clinical volunteering, 100+ hrs nonclinical
few leadership positions during undergrad years, nothing spectacular
Maybe I did well on casper??
Solid LORs/PS. good "story" on why Osteopathic > allopathic

Maybe I'm just overthinking and nervous 🥴
Well you need to be prepared for the standard interview questions, but do not assume that you will be asked questions that allow you to talk about what you want to talk about.

I would probably ask you a question from way out of left field, just to see how you think on your feet.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having shadowing with a DO, a family member who is a DO, or if your family doc is a DO are all something positive you can add to your app. We always look to assess someone's level of understanding and comittment to osteopathic medicine. We have about half as many MDs interviewing at our school. I would not suggest you mention that DOs provide a more holistic approach to medicine. My MD colleagues take issue with that statement

Reactions: 1 user
Having shadowing with a DO, a family member who is a DO, or if your family doc is a DO are all something positive you can add to your app. We always look to assess someone's level of understanding and comittment to osteopathic medicine. We have about half as many MDs interviewing at our school. I would not suggest you mention that DOs provide a more holistic approach to medicine. My MD colleagues take issue with that statement
And we also hear this ad nauseum. Do something better than what you can merely vomit up from Wiki.

Oh, and see this:

Reactions: 2 users
"Interested in primary care" seemed to be the magic words for me.

Agree with the above. When I interview students what stands out is their motivation, likeability, humbleness, and communication skills. I've seen people accepted to MD/DO schools with GPAs lower than yours, but what got them in was they convinced the interviewer they could do the job. Now that everyone has to have research, community service, shadowing experience, highlight something most other students don't have. You might get asked, "why should we pick you over the thousands of other applicants", so be prepared with an answer better than "I'm a hard worker."

Your ED tech experience stands out. Maybe write a small book (you can publish for free on Amazon). The average applicant does not have a book, or currently authoring a book....it doesn't have to sell, just shows you took things to another level.