What should I do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penasco man

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an RN and have decided to go further and pursue dentistry. I have been in the United States Air Force Air National Guard for 11 years and am thinking about going active duty to get the military to pay for my dental school costs, among other reason for joining (always have wanted to go active duty). I'm wondering if I should go ahead and go active duty as an RN and get my prereq classes done while active or wait until I get my prereqs done and be accepted into a dental school before talking to an active duty recruiter. I understand the risks of going active while trying to finish up my prereqs as I may be sent wherever the military would like, but I feel that if I were enrolled in a college and they know my intentions they would be more apt to leave me be and let me get my schooling done, and once accepted to D-school get the scholarship. Thanks for the input, and thanks for serving in the military.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an RN and have decided to go further and pursue dentistry. I have been in the United States Air Force Air National Guard for 11 years and am thinking about going active duty to get the military to pay for my dental school costs, among other reason for joining (always have wanted to go active duty). I'm wondering if I should go ahead and go active duty as an RN and get my prereq classes done while active or wait until I get my prereqs done and be accepted into a dental school before talking to an active duty recruiter. I understand the risks of going active while trying to finish up my prereqs as I may be sent wherever the military would like, but I feel that if I were enrolled in a college and they know my intentions they would be more apt to leave me be and let me get my schooling done, and once accepted to D-school get the scholarship. Thanks for the input, and thanks for serving in the military.

Personally, I wouldn't go on active duty while trying to get your pre-reqs done unless you'd be alright with having to take a one or two year break during your studies if your deployed. As I'm sure you know, nothing is for sure in the military and there are no guarantee's that your chain of command will leave you alone to complete your pre-req's.

I would think that RN's are a pretty hot commodity with the current word situation. I would rather stay on my own terms and get my pre-req's done in the time frame that I chose , not the military.

As an example, a good friend of mine has been in the guard while getting his pre-req's completed for Vet school. He has had to put his studies on hold for a year while deployed and may have to spend another year away from school before his enlistment is completed.

Personally, I wouldn't go on active duty while trying to get your pre-reqs done unless you'd be alright with having to take a one or two year break during your studies if your deployed. As I'm sure you know, nothing is for sure in the military and there are no guarantee's that your chain of command will leave you alone to complete your pre-req's.

I would think that RN's are a pretty hot commodity with the current word situation. I would rather stay on my own terms and get my pre-req's done in the time frame that I chose , not the military.

As an example, a good friend of mine has been in the guard while getting his pre-req's completed for Vet school. He has had to put his studies on hold for a year while deployed and may have to spend another year away from school before his enlistment is completed.

I was thinking exactly the same things. There will be no guarantee of not being activated while completing pre-reqs. Nurses are very hot commodities right now. Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm still mulling it over and see benefits in both joining right now and waiting. I guess it isn't supposed to be an easy decision.