what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexis2345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can help or provide some advice, but here is my situation.​

I am a 3rd year aspiring to match in rad onc. I am currently thinking about places to rotate through for my 3rd year electives.
I have a 235 on step 1, I am not sure about AOA status yet, but hopefully will be at least senior AOA. I do not go to a top 50 school, infact, the ranking is probably, like 80-90! The school that I attend is in the Midwest. I did 3 months of research at MD Anderson and have 2 first author publications from this institution, and have at least 2 other publications coming out from MD Anderson.​

My question is that based on my board scores, attending a lower tier med school, where should I apply for out of towns? I am planning to apply to Mayo for one of my electives, but want to go to an out of town where the ranking and location of schools, does not matter as much. For example, I know that if I apply to do an elective at some East and West coast schools, they may not consider me for a spot because of my med school ranking and location.​

In other words, my question is what "mid-tier" programs should one think about with all of the factors taken into consideration above? I want to make sure that I will be considered for a spot if I do indeed work very hard at this rotation.​

Sorry my question is so long-winded, but I have been very impressed with all the information on this site and wanted to know if anyone could help me out.​

Thanks!​

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like you are a strong applicant.

apply to places likes mskcc, penn, stanford, mgh, etc and try to get a letter from a big name...although your experience at mdacc will get you strong letters. however, radonc is regional, so getting letters from people in a certain region will always be of help. alternatively, you could use your aways to do rotations at places where you might want to go...

good luck

matching is NOT all about board scores and ranking. you've done a lot. go for it.