What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MJF

I have been accepted at the U. of Michigan dental school but want to go to a different area of the country. i have not taken the dat yet (my score will not determine admission at mich), my gpa is 3.4 with good extras. what are some better schools than umich? do i have a chance at the better schools? i should get around a 19-20.

Members don't see this ad.

You will get a good dental education at any dental school in the country. What are you looking for in the way of location: big city, smaller town, east, west, north, south?
Large class size, medium size, small size?
Probably the best resource is Dental School Admission Requirements. Your advisor's office probably has a copy. All dental schools have essentially the same requirements: 1 year each of general chem and organic chem; i year general biology; one year of physics; some may require some math or calculus. They all look for good grades and good DAT scores; what is "good" depends upon the level of competition for places. There is really only one to know the internal environment: visit schools. This is probably impractical and costly. One thing you must do, if you are interviewed at a school, it should be a reciprocal affair
Talk to students at the school, get a sense of whether or not they are happy campers, whether they have good things to say about the internal environment, how comfortable do you feel there, ask about any concerns you might have about the curriculum, what do you do for fun, etc. You will master the coursework if you are happy where you find yourself, you may have nightmares if you pick a school only for "prestige."

------------------

Hi:

I'm a predental student and want to get into U of Michigan dental school. I was wondering how you get into U of Michigan dental school without DAT? How you know about acceptance before Dec 1st? Any information will be appreciated