What should i do

kartikji

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right guys I am graduating this year and have applied to Nova and SCO
I have a 3.7 gpa however low ocat score (290)
Do i have any chances of getting in the fall

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked to the schools' admissions offices? They should give you a pretty honest answer about your chances for this year.

-p.dot

kartikji said:
Well, Nova might accept since all they care about is money. I dont know about SCO. U should try PCO and ICO cos they are pretty easy to get into. If u dont get accepted, dont give up, retake the OAT. You got 3.7 for a reason. U can do it. U can get better score.

ppa93 said:
Well, Nova might accept since all they care about is money. I dont know about SCO. U should try PCO and ICO cos they are pretty easy to get into. If u dont get accepted, dont give up, retake the OAT. You got 3.7 for a reason. U can do it. U can get better score.

I don't understand why people keep saying that all Nova cares about is money. There are only 3 schools out of the 17 in the whole country that have cheaper out of state tuition: Tennessee, Puerto Rico and Oklahoma. What exactly do you mean when you say all they care about is money? Do you think that they don't get enough qualified applicants? I got a 360 TS and a 330 AA on the OAT and Nova is my first choice...

Members don't see this ad :)
SuperSara said:
I don't understand why people keep saying that all Nova cares about is money. There are only 3 schools out of the 17 in the whole country that have cheaper out of state tuition: Tennessee, Puerto Rico and Oklahoma. What exactly do you mean when you say all they care about is money? Do you think that they don't get enough qualified applicants? I got a 360 TS and a 330 AA on the OAT and Nova is my first choice...
do more research. Can anyone tell him or her about NOVA?

ppa93 said:
do more research. Can anyone tell him or her about NOVA?

Can you tell us what kind of research you're doing to come up with these blanket statements? From what I've seen on this forum, there are plenty of people who are happy with NOVA as their first choice, even though their stats may be lower than other schools'.

Have you interviewed at NOVA? Have you visited the campus? What makes you think that their sole motivation for admitting students is financial?

Honestly, we are limited to saying, "This school was the best choice for me because..." or "I didn't like these things about this school after my visit because...", and leaving it at that.

It would be impossible to make any judgments about a school when our only exposure has been the statistical table from opted.org.

-p.dot

polkadot said:
Can you tell us what kind of research you're doing to come up with these blanket statements? From what I've seen on this forum, there are plenty of people who are happy with NOVA as their first choice, even though their stats may be lower than other schools'.

Have you interviewed at NOVA? Have you visited the campus? What makes you think that their sole motivation for admitting students is financial?

Honestly, we are limited to saying, "This school was the best choice for me because..." or "I didn't like these things about this school after my visit because...", and leaving it at that.

It would be impossible to make any judgments about a school when our only exposure has been the statistical table from opted.org.

-p.dot

Very well said. :thumbup:

Hi...I am new to this forum-business on the internet, so I may not have the proper etiquette. Forgive me in advance, please.

Anyways, I will add in my 2-cents as this seems to be the whole point of the forum.

I think what you should do depends on you (pretty basic). Some of the main areas of concern are:
1) how broad of a scientific background do you have?
2) how well do you deal with multiple choice questions?
3) how fast of a test-taker are you?
4) how good are your reading comprehension and basic math skills

The answers to these questions will determine how you should prepare for the OAT.

My personal experience (this will probably not work for most people):
I went in to the exam almost cold. The only practice questions I did were from the official mock test booklet they send you when you sign up for the exam - I did these in the summer but took the exam in October. I didn't even know the time schedule for exam day since I'm lazy and didn't read the entire booklet. However, I am not a nervous person - an extremely "go with the flow" person; so if you are not, obviously don't do what I did. I did fabulously well on the exam...I will even admit I was very surprised when I saw the results, because being lazy, I did not know how the OAT is scored so I thought I did terrible since I had missed a few questions (apparently missing a few questions is okay). I got 400's and 390's on all the sections.

I would not recommend this route for most people; I will admit I was very lucky not to have bombed the exam. But, to answer the questions above...
1) I am in my 4th year of a BScH in the biological science. I think the test is designed to be taken in your 2nd year as some schools accept people after 2 years of undergrad.
2) I am really good at taking multiple choice exams. Often times, I will not know the right answer, but I can spot a wrong answer and answers that are less likely to be correct. I don't know if I made any sense there...
3) I read and work fast. Except for the quantitative reasoning part where I left at least 10 questions absolutely blank.
4) Even though my degree is in the biological sciences, in 1st year I was actually a Chemistry/Math major, so my physics and math knowledge is pretty good compared to some other pre-health students.

So...moral of the story: because of my background, I was able to succeed with almost no additional effort because I was already well-prepared (or well-suited) to take the OAT. Makes sense...if you are in history, you should probably study more than if you are in biology.

Good luck on the exam. Remember, you can always retake it and life will not end or be even significantly altered if you do either poorly or amazing on the exam.

caliente said:
I think the test is designed to be taken in your 2nd year as some schools accept people after 2 years of undergrad.

I agree with most of what caliente said, except I think you need at least 3 years of undergrad. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember. Didn't want anyone to get confused. (I know that doesn't apply to the OP, but whatever.)

To the OP, if I remember correctly, 300 is the average score on the OAT. Since 2226 people applied last year, and 1390 got in...(although I'm sure not all the people that took the OAT actually applied) some people do get in with sub 300 scores. Your higher GPA should help to cover the low OAT score. If you don't mind me asking was that GPA at a state U, private school, community college? Good GPA in any case, but if it is from a "better" :rolleyes: school, it would help you a little more.

However, it would really help if you could improve that OAT score to 310 or 320 at least. With your background you should be able to do that.

Good luck!

Badger150 said:
I agree with most of what caliente said, except I think you need at least 3 years of undergrad. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember. Didn't want anyone to get confused. (I know that doesn't apply to the OP, but whatever.)

To the OP, if I remember correctly, 300 is the average score on the OAT. Since 2226 people applied last year, and 1390 got in...(although I'm sure not all the people that took the OAT actually applied) some people do get in with sub 300 scores. Your higher GPA should help to cover the low OAT score. If you don't mind me asking was that GPA at a state U, private school, community college? Good GPA in any case, but if it is from a "better" :rolleyes: school, it would help you a little more.

However, it would really help if you could improve that OAT score to 310 or 320 at least. With your background you should be able to do that.

Good luck!
At least three years is a true statement. However, there are people who got into Optometry School with two years or may be less. Possible answers:
1. AP credits that are accepted by Optometry schools or other challenge exam that gives credits
2. Summer schools?
I hope that helps.

ppa93 said:
At least three years is a true statement. However, there are people who got into Optometry School with two years or may be less. Possible answers:
1. AP credits that are accepted by Optometry schools or other challenge exam that gives credits
2. Summer schools?
I hope that helps.

Maybe at a couple schools, but that's what I tried last year. I was going to apply last year, so I called a few schools (SCO and PCO) to see if they would take my AP cedits and let me in after 2 years of undergrad. Both said no, they require 3 years in college, even though I had 110 total credits. (I had 45 when I came into college from AP tests etc). So I am just finishing up my bachelors degree in three years and then going to optom school.

ppa93 might be right about some other schools though.

(Aside to ppa93, sorry bout that thread the other day, I was really pissed off at the world too!)

Badger150 said:
Maybe at a couple schools, but that's what I tried last year. I was going to apply last year, so I called a few schools (SCO and PCO) to see if they would take my AP cedits and let me in after 2 years of undergrad. Both said no, they require 3 years in college, even though I had 110 total credits. (I had 45 when I came into college from AP tests etc). So I am just finishing up my bachelors degree in three years and then going to optom school.

ppa93 might be right about some other schools though.

(Aside to ppa93, sorry bout that thread the other day, I was really pissed off at the world too!)
I dont know anything about SCO, I do not plan to go there regardless.
110 semester units or Quater units? PCO told me that they accept AP credits. I got an interview for PCO at least even tho I have been in COllege for about two years only. if u have 125 quater units or 90 semester units, u should have no problem. Did you take OAT during the second year?

"Optometry Program
Pre-requisite Coursework
An applicant must have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours or 125 quarter hours of credit from an accredited undergraduate college or university. Prerequisite credits completed ten or more years prior to the anticipated entrance date will be reviewed for approval on an individual basis.

These credits must include the following pre-optometry courses completed with a 2.0 (C) or better. An applicant need not have completed all prerequisites prior to filing an application but must be able to complete all outstanding prerequisites prior to enrolling:

It is recommended that students with less than a 2.5 (C+) grade point average consult the Office of Admissions prior to applying.

Biology, General or Zoology (with labs)—1 year

Chemistry, General (with labs)—1 year

Chemistry, Organic (with labs)—1 year or Chemistry Organic—(with lab)—1/2 year and 1/2 year of either, Biochemistry or Molecular Biology (lab highly recommended)

English, Composition or Literature—1 year

Mathematics—1 year Calculus highly recommended—1/2 year of Calculus fulfills Math requirement

Microbiology or Bacteriology (with lab)—1/2 year

Physics, General (with labs)—1 year

Psychology—1/2 year

Statistics (Math, Biology, or Psychology)—1/2 year"
http://www.pco.edu/acad_progs/Optometry/od_pre_req1.htm
read it please. THey didnt say u need to have a three years of pre requisites. You might be turned down due to the bad grades or bad OAT scores.
As for me, I only had 15 AP quater units and the rest are College units since I am taking at least 18 quater units a quater (21 units this quater), plus summer school.
Perhaps, u didnt fulfill the prerequisites.

"The Optometry Class of 2008 is made up of 156 students from 26 states and Canada. Thirty-one percent are natives of Pennsylvania. Ages ranged from 20 to 43 years old, with an average age of 23. The class is 65 percent female and 32 percent minority. Academically, 71 percent were biology or zoology majors at their undergrad institutions, while 17 percent were chemistry, physics or other sciences, seven percent were psychology, and 11 percent were other majors. Eight students entered as the second residential class for the School of Audiology. The class is 63 percent female and 25 percent minority."
ages range from 20. In other words, people who got into PCO had two years of undergrad only since people graduate high school by the age of 18

ppa93 said:
110 semester units or Quater units? PCO told me that they accept AP credits. I got an interview for PCO at least even tho I have been in COllege for about two years only. if u have 125 quater units or 90 semester units, u should have no problem. Did you take OAT during the second year?

ages range from 20. In other words, people who got into PCO had two years of undergrad only since people graduate high school by the age of 18

:cool: ***Stick'em up**** (Sorry, this thread has officially been hijacked :p )

Semester units. And the GPA was high enough and I called at the start of the fall semester so I could have still taken the OAT and finished prereqs.

They told me that they counted courses that you got AP credit for prereqs but not for the 90 credit thing. Obviously since you got an interview someone told me wrong :mad: (or I heard wrong :laugh: ) which kinda makes me mad. (Unless they somehow counted your summer work as an extra year??? I never did summer work, so...) Well then, glad I didn't apply there this year!!!

(Small thing, some people do graduate high school before 18 as well, but that is a moot point since you got that interview after only two years.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Badger150 said:
:cool: ***Stick'em up**** (Sorry, this thread has officially been hijacked :p )

They told me that they counted courses that you got AP credit for prereqs but not for the 90 credit thing.
Oh my god, that is possible LOL. Then I might not have 125 units. I will only have 124 Quater units by the end of this spring. I was hoping to take summer off this time, I guess I might have to go to summer school this summer too. How sad

ppa93 said:
Oh my god, that is possible LOL. Then I might not have 125 units. I will only have 124 Quater units by the end of this spring. I was hoping to take summer off this time, I guess I might have to go to summer school this summer too. How sad

I think you all should know that in most cases OD schools do not like to admit a person with out a baccalaureate degree. SCCO and UCB requires that you have a baccalaureate degree, and I also believe that the rest of the OD schools are considering the same if they have not already changed their admission requirements.

In the rare cases when early acceptance is granted, your OAT, GPA and recommendation letters must be exceptional. I did know some people that was fortunate to gain acceptance after 2 years however, the way they were able to do it was, that they began their undergraduate studies, the summer after graduating high school, and went year around. In a sense they had the minimum of at least 3 years or 6 semesters. You can also complete a degree in 3 years this same way if you’re motivated.

;)

rpie said:
You can also complete a degree in 3 years this same way if you’re motivated.

;)

You can even do 2 degrees in three years if you are motivated :laugh: ...(I am getting one [Biochem, B.S.], in three years, and would only have had to take one more ecology class to get a B.A. in environmental studies)...but I was too lazy to take that one more class to get from 153 credits to 154 (semester) credits. :p

Yeah, putting off more homework that I need to get done before tomorrow to cruise SDN, if that tells you about my motivation. :thumbup:

rpie said:
I think you all should know that in most cases OD schools do not like to admit a person with out a baccalaureate degree. SCCO and UCB requires that you have a baccalaureate degree, and I also believe that the rest of the OD schools are considering the same if they have not already changed their admission requirements.

In the rare cases when early acceptance is granted, your OAT, GPA and recommendation letters must be exceptional. I did know some people that was fortunate to gain acceptance after 2 years however, the way they were able to do it was, that they began their undergraduate studies, the summer after graduating high school, and went year around. In a sense they had the minimum of at least 3 years or 6 semesters. You can also complete a degree in 3 years this same way if you’re motivated.

;)
I am hoping to be the exceptional one.
Wish me good luck

rpie said:

;)
In most cases. Not all cases.
This is the official words from Todd from PCO. It doesnt matter how many years of undergrad u have, as long as you have 90 semester units or 135 quater units, u are eligible for admission. I just came back from the interview. I hope this will encourage people to take more classes.
PS> Very important thing. AP credits are counted toward 90 semester units.

Sorry to have caused a small ruckus concerning the 2-years-of-undergrad-only issue. I'm Canadian (there seems to be quite a few of us here) and Waterloo does accept people after 2 years, although this will change in 2008, I think.

Also, DO NOT USE TOPScore CD/Program to study for the OAT!!!!! I found this to be absolutely worthless. The questions on the CD are ridiculously difficult and lengthy given that the real test is a lot easier. Also, it's a hassle to have to do it on the computer (I know I'm old-fashioned...but I still like the whole paper-and-pen thing). I did one section out of that evil CD and then destroyed it...

caliente said:
Sorry to have caused a small ruckus concerning the 2-years-of-undergrad-only issue. I'm Canadian (there seems to be quite a few of us here) and Waterloo does accept people after 2 years, although this will change in 2008, I think.

Also, DO NOT USE TOPScore CD/Program to study for the OAT!!!!! I found this to be absolutely worthless. The questions on the CD are ridiculously difficult and lengthy given that the real test is a lot easier. Also, it's a hassle to have to do it on the computer (I know I'm old-fashioned...but I still like the whole paper-and-pen thing). I did one section out of that evil CD and then destroyed it...

That’s really not that big of a deal because if you are an exceptional person you will succeed in whatever profession you choose to go into. Unfortunately since OD education is always under scrutiny by medicine, they take the issue of “only requiring 2-3 years of undergraduate studies before getting in to Optometry school” as a point to say that OD’s education is inferior to medicine. This is another reason that more OD schools are looking at requiring an undergraduate degree before matriculation.

As a side note about med school, I also attended med. school after finishing an OD residency and fellowship. I did this since my goal was to be in education/administration. (Which I was for 10 years before joining a group practice.) Being able to complete the MD degree in 2.5 years because of my Optometric education, I believe, shows that OD education is not substandard, and, yes it was an US med. School (USC), and no I did not do a residency in medicine.

kartikji said:
I think schools should use a (GPA)x(oat) factor, b/c the gpa unto itself is a useless too. It just tells me how you did at your school relative to others. A 3.2 at a difficult school could be like a 3.9 at a easy school.

You have a chance this year...but it's gonna be slim...sorry to burst yoru bubble

ucbsowarrior

i have not had any interview calls from nova or tenn. I am starting to freak out now since i will be done with school at the end of the month.

Have you called either of the schools lately? At this point in the year, they may not have many or even any seats left. Good luck!

kartikji said:
i have not had any interview calls from nova or tenn. I am starting to freak out now since i will be done with school at the end of the month.

kartikji said:

Thats surprising you didn't even get an interview. May I ask what major you are? Also what kind of experience do you have?

did you get an interview yet? I think that their last interview is at the end of April. You should call them up and see whats crackin.Good Luck

caliente said:

That CD helped me immensely, as well as friends who wrote the test. Although I didn't use QTR or Reading Comp. sections of it, it helped me in a sense that if i could prepare for the hard ones, then the OAT would be easier for me.

kartikji said:

It's probably too late now for this year, but I just wanted to let you know that SCO tends to not accept students with an OAT score below 300. (I believe they do not accept below 300 ever now)
If you are still interested in optometry, I suggest you try to take a prep course such as a kaplan course to prepare. I've heard that pre-med courses work well for preparing you for the OAT. Good luck!