This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futbol.guru714

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be graduating with a B.S this spring (2018). I applied this cycle to 18 MD programs and have had only 2 interviews so far and have been rejected at both schools.
One IS and one OOS

Overall GPA: 3.61
Science GPA: 3.53

MCAT: 502 (126/126/125/125)
I took the mcat while taking 4 classes ,and I really feel that I could improve my score if I retake.

I'm from California, URM, and fluent in Spanish

My EC's are average(tutor, played soccer in college,board member for pre med club), and I have not had a lot of clinical experience besides working as an ER scribe for one year.
No research experience.

I am unsure of what to do next since I will most likely not get accepted this cycle.
Should I take a year off and focus on gaining more clinical experience, shadow, and retake the mcat ? I was also thinking of applying to MPH programs but don't know if that would increase my chances of getting into med school. Lastly, I've been tempted to apply to an international school in Mexico since I have family there and the idea of studying abroad seems interesting, but I am worried of not being able to practice in the U.S in the future.

Any advice would be great since I don't have any family members or close friends that are involved in the medical career. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

UCR
UCI
UCSD
UCD
UCLA
Drexel
George Washington
Loyola
Wisconsin
Oakland University
Saint Louis
U. Minnesota
Georgetown
U. Missouri
Ohio State
University of Iowa
St Louis
Wayne State

I interviewed at UC Davis, and University of Iowa

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive more interviews from the schools you applied to. It would help if you accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care). A higher MCAT score would help but do not retake unless your practice scores are consistently above 505. If you end up reapplying add additional schools such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Temple
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
any new schools that open in 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall, NOVA MD)
You are also competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 DO schools and include many of the newer ones.

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive more interviews from the schools you applied to. It would help if you accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care). A higher MCAT score would help but do not retake unless your practice scores are consistently above 505. If you end up reapplying add additional schools such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Temple
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
any new schools that open in 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall, NOVA MD)
You are also competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 DO schools and include many of the newer ones.
Thank you