What should I do- Texas State Fall'16 or UT Austin Spring'17?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATexas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a student at ACC and have a 3.7 GPA till date at ACC and only had about a 2.9 GPA at Sacramento City College, my last college in CA. I am hell-bent on getting into a Medical School after my graduation but I need some sort of advice/guidance on what to do for my last two years at a university.

Initially I wanted to do Biomedical Engineering because that would be a good fall-back and challenging major, but I missed the deadline for the college I wanted to go - UT Austin because of a document reaching there late. Now, I am thinking why should I take a major known for degrading GPA like Biomedical Engineering when I could take other equally interesting majors and get better grades(as my ultimate goal is to get into Medical School anyways).

I had chosen BiomedEngnr because I could also easily land a job after BS and work for a few years if I didn't get into Med School immediately. If I plan on pursuing BiomedEngnr, I will either need to move to Denton now at UNT or wait for next Fall semester to enroll at UT Austin since TX State doesn't have that major.

What would you recommend me to do? Should I stay at ACC for Fall Semester and apply for Spring'17 hoping that I get in at UT Austin for an alternate major?(because although I might get in, there is never a 100% chance in my opinion.)
OR, Should I go to TX State this Fall'16(where I got in) and just complete my degree in an alternate major as well?
Although going to TX state and graduating from there will take me one less semester to finish, UT Austin is a better and more well-known school and might help me more with my Med School endeavor. What do you think will be a better choice? I am already 24 years old and also worried that it's been taking too long for only graduation as I need to do much more including prep for MCAT, etc.
Thanks for reading this the very least.

Members don't see this ad.