What should I do now??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palaniappan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have applied to the MPH-Epidemiology programs to different universities incleding UIC ans UMass,AMherst.I had filed up all my documents in a hurry so that they would reach the universities well before FEB 1.(deadline).After submitting the aplication 2 weeks ago,I am confused what to do now?Should I contact the professors in all the universities I have applied or jusat check out my application status.I would be grateful to you if you could guide me in the right way at this pioint of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Palaniappan,

Congratulations on sending your applications!

Some schools will let you know if your application is complete, but most cannot give you more information than that until a decision has been made. You can certainly check with the admissions office of each school to make sure that all of the parts of your application (test scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement, transcripts, etc.) have arrived, especially if you have sent them from another country.

I would recommend selectively contacting those professors with whom you are interested in working. You can explain that you are an applicant, tell them a bit about your background, and explain why you are interested in their work. They often will not have much influence on admissions decisions unless they are on the admissions committee or are asked to review your application (usually if you have mentioned them by name in your statement). They may, however, be able to put in a good word for you, and these contacts might help you find an advisor or a research assistantship if you are admitted.

Good luck!

namazu said:
I would recommend selectively contacting those professors with whom you are interested in working...explain that you are an applicant, tell them a bit about your background, and explain why you are interested in their work...(usually if you have mentioned them by name in your statement)...They may, however, be able to put in a good word for you, and these contacts might help you find an advisor or a research assistantship if you are admitted.
Great points! :thumbup:
I would suggest you send out an email only to those who you mentioned on your statement, maybe less, but certainly not more. Profs do talk, and sending out your letter of interest to more than one can leave a negative impression. I wouldn't call them unless they say so. They are notoriously not in their office, and email usually works best.

I would also worry about any other paperwork i would need to handle (such as for a visa), and begin getting that in order. Doing it on short notice is an expensive pain. In the mean while, wait and watch..pray, if that is your fancy..or just RELAX! take a load off. You must have been pretty busy getting everything ready and in on time. Now you should enjoy the free time you have, before Grad School kicks in .

Good Luck!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Thanks for your reply..I am new to this site but I think I am fortunate enough to find thsis ie at the correct time.Once again I thank you for your advice and hope it continuesd through.I am an Indian MPH applicant.I am interested in this epidemiolgy program right frm my third year of my MBBS degree.As you had rightly pointed out I should start working on my VISA papers.But I have a drawback at this junction.I am afraid what to do if I get rejected??The very thinking of it makes me frightened to the core.All hard work in vain!!!!Could you please give me your valuable opinion.

Relax! That is probably the best thing you can do for yourself now, aside from concentrating on your MBBS work and applying for a visa.

In the absolute worst-case scenario, you will get rejected by all of the schools. If this happens, you can try applying again to those or other schools. Meanwhile, at least you will already have your MBBS degree and will be able to work and/or volunteer in health care, which may help you obtain admission in the future if you don't get admitted the first time around.

In a different sort of worst-case scenario, you will have difficulty obtaining a visa. Usually the international students' office or a liaison at the school can try to assist you with the process, though it can be long and cumbersome. (Anecdotally, it has gotten better since 2002-2003!) They should be able to provide you with proof of admission or attendance, which you may need to obtain the visa or to verify your presence once you arrive.

But it would be best not to dwell on these worst-case scenarios, since they may not occur, and at this point there is little you can do to change things in any case. Keep an optimistic attitude and focus on your coursework and your other interests and hopefully things will fall into place for you. :)

Take care!

Palaniappan said:
I am interested in this epidemiolgy program right frm my third year of my MBBS degree.
Does this mean you are still in your third year, or have you completed your degree? Maybe i'm a bit slow, but I couldn't quite get it..
I am afraid what to do if I get rejected??The very thinking of it makes me frightened to the core.All hard work in vain!!!
Hmm...

If rejected, CRY like a baby! What else can you do?!? If the fear of failure paralyzes you, why bother making any effort? :smuggrin: Too frickin' bad you had to waste all that money on giving the exams and applying. Oh, well.. :rolleyes:

Just Kidding there..But,Seriously..Snap out of it! If you want help, this a good place. However, sympathy for the weak and sniveling makes me physically ill! :barf:
Grow up! Look for the solutions, not at potential pitfalls. If idiots like me can get the visa, then you should really not have any problems, provided you do your homework well..Any doubts you have, ask away! :) People here are sure to have similar experiences,to help you out. Life has a lot worse to challenge you with than a measely rejection at the Visa consulate.
Good Luck!! :luck: