Medical What should I do about working during a spring semester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I am a current senior in the middle of the present MD application cycle intending to graduate a semester early. My plan was to utilize my free Spring semester to participate in a job/activity/position that could provide me some valuable experiences, preferably in the healthcare field. Some things I was thinking of starting were scribing or CNA, but these are jobs with contractual commitments for at least a year and I realize that a problem may arise if, hypothetically, I get accepted into a medical school this cycle as I am not sure I could just leave my job for medical school. Hence, I wanted to ask if there was a way around this problem that some people have tried or if there are other healthcare related activities/jobs that are only a semester long commitment, allowing more flexibility. Thanks for the input!
There's no guarantee that you'd get accepted after one semester of working as a scribe or CNA. I would only consider completed/documented hours when it comes to experiences, not projected or future ones. Don't think about the hypotheticals because there is no guarantee. Do the activity because you want to do it, not because there's flexibility to leave if you get to start medical school later.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you put on your application that you were doing these things? If so, then you would need to do them so your application is true. If not, I would do the scribe job as it pays and you can get some good experience.

Although, if you do get into medical school I would advise you take some time off.

IMO, you should do the right thing and find a job where you can respect the contract that you sign. You can get healthcare experience by volunteering in a hospital. Work on the floors if you can. Obviously with Covid that may not happen as quickly as before but it is something to "check off the box" that you've been around healthcare and enjoy the overall idea of taking care of patients, no matter what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.