What should I do about physics 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How should I take physics 2?

• Take it through online course

• Take it at my school to "play it safe"

Results are only viewable after voting.

Samin23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently enrolled in Physics 1, and I'm doing fairly well in it. After this semester, I will begin taking my upper-level science courses. With my major, I am required to have all "common body of knowledge" courses (General biology and chemistry, math, physics, organic chem, etc) completed before I can take upper level courses such as biochemistry. If I don't take the class this summer, the department will drop all my classes for next semester until I get my pre-reqs completed. Due to my permanent residence being in a rural area, I am unable to take the course at a community college, so I have begun researching online colleges that provide the course. I decided to take it through Western Texas College, and I've begun the application process with them. However, I called my department's advising office to ensure the credit would transfer towards graduation, and they confirmed that it would, but that taking physics online would hurt my chances of getting into dental school. Has anyone taken the course online and had any trouble with admissions? I could stay at my apartment and take it at my school during the summer, but it is a very challenging course and I'd much rather take it through a community college, as physics isn't one of my strong suits. What should I do?
Side note: I have a pre-med friend that took physics through the same online community college and the credit transferred.
Side note 2: I go to Texas A&M

tl;dr: Need to take physics 2 before Fall semester. If I take it online during the summer, will it look bad to admissions committees?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you at A&M proper or a satellite? If it is the former, you are attending one of the best universities in Texas. What department are you in that is care free about the quality of physics course you are taking, yet adamant about not allowing a student to take upper division courses in another discipline sine physics 2? You do understand that whether or not a course credit transferres has no relevance to whether dental schools accept online courses for pre requisites, right?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-advanced-placement-and-ds-admission.1138556/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-prerequisites.1138351/

I'm at A&M College Station and I am a biomedical science major. Another requirement that the department has is that I must make at least a B in the course if I take it at a community college. Making a C or lower will not be transferrable towards graduation. With that being said, I am leaning towards taking it here at TAMU. It will suck being away from family for an extra 2.5 months, but it's better than worrying about multiple headaches like internet connections/family&friends distractions/maintaining a B/ getting the credit transferred successfully/etc.
Thank you for the links you provided, @doc toothache, they were very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at A&M College Station and I am a biomedical science major. Another requirement that the department has is that I must make at least a B in the course if I take it at a community college. Making a C or lower will not be transferrable towards graduation. With that being said, I am leaning towards taking it here at TAMU. It will suck being away from family for an extra 2.5 months, but it's better than worrying about multiple headaches like internet connections/family&friends distractions/maintaining a B/ getting the credit transferred successfully/etc.
Thank you for the links you provided, @doc toothache, they were very helpful.
Save yourself from the C of taking it at TAMU. It is damn near impossible to get an A in that class at our school and even a B requires you working your ass off. I'm also a BIMS major at TAMU, and I can assure you that taking it at CC is the better route. I've spoken with BU, tufts, and temple about this. Temple and tufts told me that they do not require pre-reqs to be taken at a 4 year uni(I know this goes against what everyone here seems to think). BU told me that they will still give acceptances to those with CC credit for pre-reqs, but fully expect them to retake the course at your university upon acceptance(which I'm sure you would do if you got accepted).

Save yourself from the C of taking it at TAMU. It is damn near impossible to get an A in that class at our school and even a B requires you working your ass off. I'm also a BIMS major at TAMU, and I can assure you that taking it at CC is the better route. I've spoken with BU, tufts, and temple about this. Temple and tufts told me that they do not require pre-reqs to be taken at a 4 year uni(I know this goes against what everyone here seems to think). BU told me that they will still give acceptances to those with CC credit for pre-reqs, but fully expect them to retake the course at your university upon acceptance(which I'm sure you would do if you got accepted).
The BIMS advisors are so inconsistent, man. Last semester, they said I should have no issues with taking it over the summer at a CC. Now, they say it won't look good for applying to dental school. I have an advising appointment next week, so hopefully I can get some more clarification then.

Reactions: 1 user
Dr. Miller from Baylor told us at pre-dental meetings that they can care less about physics. A lot of my friends took it at a community college.

Dr. Miller from Baylor told us at pre-dental meetings that they can care less about physics. A lot of my friends took it at a community college.
Dr. Miller never visited my UG. I feel gypped.

That makes me feel better because I suck at physics.