What should I be doing now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowerbug

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore attending a duel credit high school. My high school grades are all A's and I am 4th in my class right now out of about 75 I think. I've taken kinesiology and speech so far and made A's and i'm taking psychology right now and i'm making a B+, but I still need to take the final and she still needs to grade an essay. There aren't a lot of animal science or earth science type classes because its a community college. What kind of classes should I take? I want to be a wildlife biologist or a wildlife veterinarian. I volunteer with a group that advocates against tobacco also so will that look fine on a resume? I am also trying to volunteer with an animal rehab center. They get a lot of sea turtles and beach type birds I think. Will that be good? I am also part of student council so i'm wondering if that'll look good also like on a college resume. I really want to know what I should be doing now to get into a good college for wildlife biology, advice would be nice :)

by the way im trying to get a liberal art degree by the time I graduate, and i have about 8 empty slots for any extra classes I want to take

Members don't see this ad.

These sound like questions for your guidance counselor and/or school advisor. If you want to go to veterinary school, start looking into the prerequisite courses as they'll likely be similar starting out for wildlife biology as veterinary medicine. Definitely get some experience in vet med and wildlife bio/ecology as well as other fields to help you decide which path to pursue. Frankly, you still have plenty of time.

Reactions: 2 users
These sound like questions for your guidance counselor and/or school advisor. If you want to go to veterinary school, start looking into the prerequisite courses as they'll likely be similar starting out for wildlife biology as veterinary medicine. Definitely get some experience in vet med and wildlife bio/ecology as well as other fields to help you decide which path to pursue. Frankly, you still have plenty of time.
I have talked to my guidance counselor, but unfortunately she is kind of useless. Thanks though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you probably are already doing what you should to get into college. Keep on keepin' on.

At some point - not necessarily now - you're going to want to decide whether you want to pursue vet med or not. The best way to do that is by getting experience in the field, and not just in the area you think you might want to go in down the road.

In the long run, you want to start hitching your wagon to someone who is doing what you think you want to do - get on board helping them out with grunt work, work your butt off, and start working your way up into more important roles. No shortcut other than trying to find people doing something similar to what you think you want to do. Don't be afraid to ask someone "hey, can I come see what you're doing?"

Class-wise, just keep doing well.

Reactions: 1 user