What should I be doing now that I'm in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1098126

Hello,
I have been accepted into a D.O. school, and I don't have a solid idea of what specialty I want to go into. I know I want to have some research exposure, but it is difficult because I'm not sure what specialty I will choose. Should I just look for opportunities in any field?
Also, is there things I should be doing to ease my transition (like familiarizing myself with anki, buying first aid for usmle etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I have been accepted into a D.O. school, and I don't have a solid idea of what specialty I want to go into. I know I want to have some research exposure, but it is difficult because I'm not sure what specialty I will choose. Should I just look for opportunities in any field?
Also, is there things I should be doing to ease my transition (like familiarizing myself with anki, buying first aid for useless etc)?
Don't worry if the research is in the specialty you end up applying to. It might be a little more relevant, but I think most recent students who matched will agree that having research experience is better than not. Even if not in the specialty you choose. As far as Anki, etc., current students can guide you best. Congrats on your admission. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 users
Enjoy the time you have before med school starts! If you want to do research just choose something that interests you! My research experience has nothing to do with my preferred speciality, but I am passionate about it and enjoy it! Congrats :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy the time you have before med school starts! If you want to do research just choose something that interests you! My research experience has nothing to do with my preferred speciality, but I am passionate about it and enjoy it! Congrats :)

Is doing research the summer before DO school useful?

Is doing research the summer before DO school useful?
I wouldn’t say so! I did research in undergrad. Most DO schools have research opportunities, so if research is something you want to get involved with you will be able to get some experience during school! If you want to do it, you should! If not, it’s definitely not necessary :) Research will look good on residency applications, so it is definitely something to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t say so! I did research in undergrad. Most DO schools have research opportunities, so if research is something you want to get involved with you will be able to get some experience during school! If you want to do it, you should! If not, it’s definitely not necessary :) Research will look good on residency applications, so it is definitely something to consider.
Thank you, so I guess it would be good to do.

Now that you're in, just relax and enjoy having a normal life for the few months you have left. Don't study, buy resources or any other academic tools until you get there and speak with upperclassmen, other students etc.