MD & DO What should be my plan of action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AM1234567

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I currently have taken the majority of me pre med courses. I am a statistics major, entering my junior year. Im in a top 50 private school.

These are those grades

C and A- (retaken from a D+) Bio 1 and 2
B+ and B- Chem 1 and 2
C organic 1
C+ physics one

Not very impressive.

My major courses however, are pretty decent.

All As in Calc 1, 2, Stat 1, 2, Linear Regression, Linear algebra.

My back up plan always has been to get my masters in statistics or business analytics if medical school didn't work out, however it really is my ambition. I'm worried that perhaps it's not where Im destined to end up, and my strengths lie elsewhere. It has been frustrating as my pre med grades has watered down my gpa to a 3.1. My track record to this point outside my major courses, has been poor, but I feel that these courses are no joke and show that I have the intelligence and problem solving ability that medical schools look for. I am taking phsyics 2 and organic 2 this coming year.

I want to be a medical doctor and Ive been doing things outside of the classroom ( research with the biology department this summer, 45 clinical hours, going to costa rica with doctors without borders spring 2017), and Im aiming to become a scribe my senior year of college. My grades are just not going to cut it and I am willing to do a post bacc so long as I can guarantee myself admission to the school at the end of that year, to avoid another "glide year". That being said, I also need to be competitive for such programs, and I really don't know if I would be. Im also certainly interested in doing DO, but I don't know if I have the time to retake all my poor pre med grades. I'd be willing to take those courses again at my community college in the summers if that would replace my grades. Im taking my MCAT my senior year fall. As of now, that is my lifeline.

Any advice would really be appreciated. My medical school advisor is useless, and I could use some solid direction.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way you'll be competitive for MD is to get into a SMP but even doing well in one does not guarantee you a spot into med school. Also if you do poorly in it you'll have no chance. I know you don't want to hear this but you will need to retake the classes you did poorly in and get A's or B's in them and apply DO. Yes taking gap years suck but if being a doctor is really what you want then thats what it will take.