What shoes you wearing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those in clinical years, what kind of shoes are you wearing in the hospital/clinics?
I have been a fan of Acsis and NB but heard good things about the Hoka brand ($$).
As residency approaches, something comfortable will definitely help running around the hospital. 👟 🏃‍♂️

Members don't see this ad.

Gotta always try it on even if its a good brand - especially Hokas. I have patients rave about the Bondi but I couldn't stand it.

I was wearing a Brooks Adrenaline - was like a 16 or 17 - bought the next edition and didn't care for it.

Now I'm wearing an old model of a Brooks (I'll never tell) and it is both perfectly comfortable and deliciously affordable. Like 1/2 the price of a Ghost.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. I must try these two first :)

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 10.43.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 10.43.58 PM.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Before clinic years was wearing anything cheap. Started having feet pain and feet were getting tired quickly. Decided to try what our docs recommended. Didn't think it will change anything. Shoes are shoes.

Currently wearing:
Brooks adrenaline
Hoka bondi
Hoka Clifton

Hoka Bondi are best so far. Was on my feet literally for 9hrs yesterday and no pain or discomfort. Converted my wife and my parents to these brands and they love it. We didn't know these brands existed or if they were any good.

What I have seen in hospitals and clinics so far, most people wear Brooks, Hoka and Asics.

Asics Gel-Kayano for my husband, an over-pronator. He use to wear NB but his feet would hurt before the end of the day.
I like Nike Zoom winflo which fits a wide forefoot, but it looks pretty casual & more like a running shoe.

Before clinic years was wearing anything cheap. Started having feet pain and feet were getting tired quickly. Decided to try what our docs recommended. Didn't think it will change anything. Shoes are shoes.

Currently wearing:
Brooks adrenaline
Hoka bondi
Hoka Clifton

Hoka Bondi are best so far. Was on my feet literally for 9hrs yesterday and no pain or discomfort. Converted my wife and my parents to these brands and they love it. We didn't know these brands existed or if they were any good.

What I have seen in hospitals and clinics so far, most people wear Brooks, Hoka and Asics.

I'm giving Clifton 8 a try first, I just ordered it.

Asics Gel-Kayano for my husband, an over-pronator. He use to wear NB but his feet would hurt before the end of the day.
I like Nike Zoom winflo which fits a wide forefoot, but it looks pretty casual & more like a running shoe.

I'm also a big fan of Asics, been wearing different ones for the past 10 years for everything.
But recently started having pain while standing in the OR, that's when the attending suggested the Hoka brand.

I hope it lives up to the hype! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hoka Clifton 7s. The 8s came out so the 7s were on a discount. snagged em and they're amazing

Former sneakerhead here. It’s crazy how narrow most *popular* shoe brands run.

Currently wearing Clifton 7s. Multiple pairs in multiple color ways. Probably the most comfortable shoe I’ve even owned/worn.

Last edited:
I find that changing shoes after 8 hrs if you're on extensive shift is the best method to relieve foot pain. Took me a while as a nurse to realized that trick. Especially working 16 hrs shifts.

Reactions: 1 users
Former sneakerhead here. It’s crazy how narrow most *popular* shoe brands run.

Currently wearing Clifton 8s. Multiple pairs in multiple color ways. Probably the most comfortable shoe I’ve even owned/worn.

Can't wait to try these tomorrow! :cool:

6A5B93DE-CA6B-4165-96FA-09ED97841598.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys keep the stock insert in shoes like Hokas, brooks, etc.

I wear more main stream brands like Adidas, nike etc. and just chuck the insert that comes in it out and put powerstep or superfeet orthotics in them. Worked so far.

Would buying hokas and putting superfeet inserts in them defeat the comfort of the hokas that everyone praises?

Superfeet are junk. Powersteps 4 life.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys keep the stock insert in shoes like Hokas, brooks, etc.

I wear more main stream brands like Adidas, nike etc. and just chuck the insert that comes in it out and put powerstep or superfeet orthotics in them. Worked so far.

Would buying hokas and putting superfeet inserts in them defeat the comfort of the hokas that everyone praises?
That's exactly what I've been doing, except with PowerSteps. I will let you know once my Hoka Clifton 8's arrive.

For most of the good shoes ie. New Balance, Asics, Brooks - I toss the liner and add whatever orthotic we're using. Hokas seem to be more likely "as is".

The Clifton 8 trial run was great. I'm surprised how light it is and how advanced footwears are now.
Picked up a pair of these and the Mach 4s today after trying the Bondi, Brooks glycerin, Mizuno wave, and Newbie 1080. Unbelievably comfortable and the others were not even close save the Brooks glycerin. Going to have to get used to the arch support inserts tho...