What questions should I ask the optometrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicnicinc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I visit optometrists, what questions should I ask them? Will they give me a letter to proof that I have visited their practice or i need to write an assay to the optometry school when i apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could answer, but I dont think that I'm understanding your question correctly.

Are you asking:
"When writing an essay to an optometry school for admissions, I want to have input from ODs. What sort of questions should I ask them?"

If this is the case, I wouldn't ask an optometrist anything other than "Do you have opportunities when I can shadow or help in any event so that I can get some exposure to the field?"

I hope this helps.

Um, I think I understand the question:

If you're shadowing/volunteering an optometrist for experience, then nothing is needed for "proof". The experience will help you during interviews, and for you to get an overall feel for the profession. You just note that you shadowed/volunteered for how ever long, and where, in the application.

If you want a letter of recommendation, then that's a different story. In this case, the "proof", is a letter that they write about you, and send off to the school. To get a good letter of recommendation, you should get to know the optometrist well before asking for one. Generally, to make a good impression, you should show interest in what he/she is doing, and try to be inquisitive.

In general, whenever you are with an optometrist, ask anything pertaining to the profession, from their college experience, job experience, machines they're using, diseases they're diagnosing, etc.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much. I am getting the idea now. How long should I shadow the optometrist? If I shadow someone, do I still need to do some volunteer work?

nicnicinc said:
Thank you very much. I am getting the idea now. How long should I shadow the optometrist? If I shadow someone, do I still need to do some volunteer work?

I guess it depends where you're applying. I did 30hr because that's what Pacific required and I was applying there. That was the only school I applied to that required any shadowing. As for volunteer work, you don't NEED to do any, but stuff like that can't hurt your chances of getting into school. Personally, i didn't do any and still got in.

I'd say if your GPA, and OAT are borderline, then you should do everything you can to appeal to them. That means volunteer, join clubs, practice interviews, etc.

For shadowing, try to get in enough hours so you can at least talk about what you saw/experienced. For volunteering...probably the same.

I C. I am supper shy. How should I ask for shadowing the optometrist. Should I directly say:" Can you give me a opportunity to shadow you?" :oops:

Sure, call them up and see if they'll allow you to. That'll save you the trouble of going to the office, in case they say no.

If you know any other pre-optometry students, or if your school has a club, ask to see who they shadowed.

a1bui said:
Sure, call them up and see if they'll allow you to. That'll save you the trouble of going to the office, in case they say no.

If you know any other pre-optometry students, or if your school has a club, ask to see who they shadowed.
Thanks again. Your advices are helpful to me.