What percentage of your practice is interventional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted980918

For those IC attending out there, what percentage of your practice is actually interventional work in the lab?

Members don't see this ad.

I do about 15k RVUs per year.

only about 10-15% is true interventional

I’m really outpt clinic heavy as we don’t have a lot of support

but my RVUs typically break down:
33% outpatient clinic (new/established visits)
33% stress/echo/ecg/holters/pacer checks
33% inpatient/cath lab

I say interventional work is 10% of my work but 90% of my stress... but In the private world unless you had a true churn and burn set up with people feeding you cases and with a lab that is quick and efficient than you can do more RVUs with high volume general work that is easy and less stressful.. especially if you get a lot of new patients

but that is more applicable for true production based contracts which are more rare

most salaried IC guys I know are doing 7-9k rvu and do spend more time in the cath lab (paid more for coverage than production)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

33% inpatient/cath lab

I say interventional work is 10% of my work but 90% of my stress... but In the private world unless you had a true churn and burn set up with people feeding you cases and with a lab that is quick and efficient than you can do more RVUs with high volume general work that is easy and less stressful.. especially if you get a lot of new patients

but that is more applicable for true production based contracts which are more rare

most salaried IC guys I know are doing 7-9k rvu and do spend more time in the cath lab (paid more for coverage than production)
15k rvus... you busy.

33% inpatient/cath lab

Thank you for the information, it was really helpful. I do see what you are saying, there’s seem to be two types of IC, one where they live on referrals from generalist in the community and have labs going back to back for them, another where there’s a mix of general and IC but makes most of their rvu from general work. In the latter, it seems like, at least from a financial perspective, it doesn’t worth the risk and time to go though the training. I even see the ICs refer out their cases because 1) the time and 2) because they don’t do that many cases so it’s better off refer them to the busier IC.

Yup you can make the argument that it’s not worth it.. you also learn that tough cases really throw a wrench in your day as well as increase your own risk (job security, malpractice)) so I agree I think many in these circumstances are more quick to refer out. You just don’t have the luxury to do a 3-6 hour CTO case whereas the salaried guy loves it because it gives him something to do and a reason to justify his position/income. He’s also more protected and not getting pager slammed during the case (or have 5 consults waiting for you.

in re: to it being worth it though, in the long run the most value will bring is stemi coverage.. so whether that security and slightly extra income is worth it is up to the individual-

15k rvus, jeez. Good points made so far. I know IC guys that do anywhere from say 10% IC to 100%, and of course some who dropped IC altogether. Really depends on job description, group dynamics, competition, etc. Most IC folks I know do gen cards too. The few areas I'm familiar with, there's plenty IC already yet the ratio of gen cards patients to IC patients can be staggering. Being able to do both makes you more marketable and gives you more options. I know some IC folks who are adamant about not doing echos, gen cards, and their job options are more limited because of it. I have a friend like this that passed up a great job, great pay and location. Just gotta weigh the pros/cons.