What percent of the test does CSS count for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bluesaurus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is CSS its own separate section you have to take and pass or is it integrated into the overall score and is a smaller percent than day one?

I took this last month, and I felt fine about day 1. However, the CSS portion was just plain weird. I went over all the USMLE CSS cases but I think I spent more time reading the explanations than going over each one because they were so long.

O and question #2- if we took it in September, when should we expect results?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a little bit of both. I think is 25% of the total. You have to "pass" CCS to pass but that passing grade is affected by how well you did on the rest. The answer is a little vague. A lot of people feel weird about it so just try to relax.

It takes 4-5 weeks to get your score.

It's a little bit of both. I think is 25% of the total. You have to "pass" CCS to pass but that passing grade is affected by how well you did on the rest. The answer is a little vague. A lot of people feel weird about it so just try to relax.

It takes 4-5 weeks to get your score.

Scores are released on Wednesdays. Unless there is some type of delay, your score should be available three Wednesdays after your exam.

CCS counts 30%

score comes out in 3-4 weeks depending on when your test days were:
- if test days were Wed/Thurs or Thurs/Fri --> score comes out on 3rd wed. after 2nd test day
- if test days were Mon/Tues or Tues/Wed --> Score comes out on 4th wed. after 2nd test day.

Is CSS its own separate section you have to take and pass or is it integrated into the overall score and is a smaller percent than day one?

I took this last month, and I felt fine about day 1. However, the CSS portion was just plain weird. I went over all the USMLE CSS cases but I think I spent more time reading the explanations than going over each one because they were so long.

O and question #2- if we took it in September, when should we expect results?

CCS cases supposedly counts for 25-30%, but it's only reported as a single bar on the performance assessment report.

Also, now that I've passed CCS, I just wanted to include my experience since so little seems to be known about this portion of the exam.
My advice: Treat each encounter like a real patient encounter, take your time and do not worry about not finishing every case. I probably finished 60% of my cases and I ended up scoring well. First, determine if the patient is acute or not. If acute, then send them to ER from office or admit. Stabilize an acute patient before doing full exam, but perform full exam on everyone. In office visits, pay attention to complete physical exam because there may be easy to overlook details. If you admit a patient, then take the time to evaluate them every day - just like a real patient. Counsel, counsel, counsel. If you don't know the diagnosis, it's ok - just make sure the patient is safe each time you advance the clock. CCS rewards for the approach to the patient, not necessarily the diagnosis - in fact suspecting a diagnosis may cause some people to rush through and miss details... Also, again, if you don't finish every case, it's OK!

Anyway, good luck!