What % of Medical Schools have you heard back from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What % of medical schools have you heard back from?

Votes: 59 27.8%

Votes: 106 50.0%

Votes: 30 14.2%

Votes: 15 7.1%

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious about timeline of medical schools reviewing apps right now. See poll.

Doesn't matter if it's reject or II.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard back from 1/22 MD programs. I picked 0% just because that's the closest number.

Edit for completion date: I wasn't complete at most schools until 9/20 or 9/21 because I had one professor wait until 9/18 to submit a reference letter. I had most of my secondaries done in July.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like submission date will affect the results from these polls. I'm assuming those who have complete longer have heard back from more schools. I've heard back from almost half of the schools I've applied to and was complete very early on.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually 0%. However I did receive some secondaries from schools that screen candidates prior to sending. Still, I think I will have a shorter wait for my Hogwarts letter from an owl.

Reactions: 4 users
9 out of 26 MD (4 II, 5 reject) so far. Complete Late July-Early Sept. I have a feeling that I'm chillin' in the rejection pile at three more.

Last edited:
I applied all DO. 26 primaries, 5 rejections, 4 II and the rest say I'm under review. I was verified 7/20.

Thanks for the responses!

I applied to 25 schools. Complete end of July. Heard back from 5 so far.
Fingers crossed for the 20 left.

Maybe you should add a new poll or change it so it asks how many schools you have heard from? 0, 1-2, 3-4, e.t.c

Completed mid-July and processed at the end of August. Heard back from 2/21.

You're doing fine, relax. It's incredibly early, the five you have heard back from will probably be enough for an acceptance, and plenty of stellar applicants have not heard anything back yet.

I don't know about that, some school's interview dates are already filling up late December.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD. Responses from 6 of 31: 2 interviews, 4 rejections. Complete early-mid July.

Got 6 II of 10 applications so far. I submitted the last of my secondaries on 8/11, so I guess I was complete pretty early. Still holding out for interviews from at least of couple of the last 4 that I really like.

I have heard back from 1/22 MD programs. I picked 0% just because that's the closest number.

Edit for completion date: I wasn't complete at most schools until 9/20 or 9/21 because I had one professor wait until 9/18 to submit a reference letter. I had most of my secondaries done in July.

I'd be pissed as hell...

Reactions: 2 users
I've gotten 2 II and 1 Hold out of the 34 schools I've applied to (so < 1/10?). No flat-out rejections - I'm hoping that's a good sign. Complete at the beginning to middle of August for most (and end of August for those that screen). My LORs didn't come through until the beginning of August, so some secondaries were sent in before that. High MCAT/ Low GPA, so I think that's slowing my application process so far.

I've gotten 3 II and 1 pre interview hold from the 29 schools I was complete at.. this process is gonna take a long time, just embrace the wait!

3/4 DO (all II, one no-response); 7/18 MD (4 II, 3 rejections, 11 no-response).

Applied to 37 schools mostly in late July/early August and have not heard from anywhere yet (except George Washington "re-review"). No II's, no rejections. Most of my app portals read something like "Your application is ready!" or "Application complete." It's kind of strange and annoying... anyone in the same boat? Is that normal to have your status not change for 2 months for almost all of your schools?

22 secondaries, 3 IIs, 0 rejections so far

In my signature, but:
submitted 13 MD primaries, submitted 12 MD secondaries (decided to not submit one). have only heard back from 1 school and it was a rejection.
submitted 9 DO primaries, submitted 9 DO secondaries. 4 interviews, "under review" or whatever for the other 5.

8 out of 10 of the Texas schools (not including Baylor).

I'd be pissed as hell...
Oh, I am. I'm still mad. I sent her around 10 reminder emails about her writing me a reference... she agreed at the beginning of May, took her >4 months. Finally in the last reminder email, I said that I had a school that had a deadline of 9/18 - just so I could start writing all my schools telling them not to expect the letter if she didn't get it done by then, so that's when she sent it in.

At least the only school I've heard from so far has been an II.

Oh, I am. I'm still mad. I sent her around 10 reminder emails about her writing me a reference... she agreed at the beginning of May, took her >4 months. Finally in the last reminder email, I said that I had a school that had a deadline of 9/18 - just so I could start writing all my schools telling them not to expect the letter if she didn't get it done by then, so that's when she sent it in.

At least the only school I've heard from so far has been an II.
I did the same thing with a professor who had been ghosting me for 3 months, except I told them that the letter was due 8/1

I've heard back from 13 of 33 total. Completed secondaries by early August.

I was complete at most places from mid-july to beginning of august. 3 II, 2 rejections out of 21 complete MD apps. still refreshing my email 1000000x an hour....

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete at most places from mid-july to beginning of august. 3 II, 2 rejections out of 21 complete MD apps. still refreshing my email 1000000x an hour....

tenor.gif

I did the same thing with a professor who had been ghosting me for 3 months, except I told them that the letter was due 8/1

I asked for a letter from one guy by 7/15 - still haven't heard from him. He quit answering my calls over two months ago. I let AMCAS know he was no longer sending it. It wasn't a big deal - he was just an old boss. But it was still a jerk move on his part.

I asked for a letter from one guy by 7/15 - still haven't heard from him. He quit answering my calls over two months ago. I let AMCAS know he was no longer sending it. It wasn't a big deal - he was just an old boss. But it was still a jerk move on his part.

Not cool. I had a lot of issues getting a few letters only because people were out of the country. I had contacted them months before, but it was difficult enough getting letters from people who acted excited or at least willing to write them. Then you have to walk this fine line between bugging them too much and bugging them enough to get your letter.

My biggest problem was that I had a committee packet, so I had to get all the necessary letters in before the packet was complete. I gave up on one writer, who turned it in the day after I sent the packet out. It worked out fine as I had a different letter that could cover the requirement, but I was getting really nervous.

Not cool. I had a lot of issues getting a few letters only because people were out of the country. I had contacted them months before, but it was difficult enough getting letters from people who acted excited or at least willing to write them. Then you have to walk this fine line between bugging them too much and bugging them enough to get your letter.

My biggest problem was that I had a committee packet, so I had to get all the necessary letters in before the packet was complete. I gave up on one writer, who turned it in the day after I sent the packet out. It worked out fine as I had a different letter that could cover the requirement, but I was getting really nervous.

My lab PI was actually pissed that many schools required "two letters from science faculty who taught you in a classroom." Our school only really has science classes of 200-300, with professors that are only really at the university for research. He said that you can get those letters at our school, but it's a complete waste of time for everyone involved when you could get much more info from a research mentor you worked with over a long period of time.

Submitted all my secondaries late august. 23 MD schools - 1 II and 1 put on hold for re-review. Lizzy score 73

Last edited:
13 completed apps, 6 interviews (all IS) and 7 silent treatments. I never knew sitting on my hands would be so nerve-wrecking

Looks like most people are around 0-25%, but def <50% so far.

I've been complete at 34 schools for about 2 months now (late July / early August). I've gotten one interview from NYU (late September) and no rejections or holds. Can anyone give me feedback on how my cycle is going? What it feels like to me is schools are on the fence about my application. Thanks.

I've been complete at 34 schools for about 2 months now (late July / early August). I've gotten one interview from NYU (late September) and no rejections or holds. Can anyone give me feedback on how my cycle is going? What it feels like to me is schools are on the fence about my application. Thanks.
I'm in the same predicament. Hopefully October is a better month for us.

I only applied to 11 schools, complete everywhere in July. So far, 2 IIs and 9 total silence. But I'm seriously giddy because of those two IIs - you gotta see the glass as 18% full.. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Applied to 19 between Aug and early Sept. Received 3 IIs and rejected by 2. LizzyM ~ 79

Need your interview advice, SDN!
TTUHSC El Paso just sent me an invite. Nonetheless, it's Thursday and it'd make me miss a lab and a lecture which would be a huge inconvenience as I'm fighting to keep the class as an A. I also have 5 other interview invitations from TMDSAS schools and one from BCM, which puts this school at 6th place in my interviewed-choice-ranking (out of 7.) I'm also a bit worn from interviewing weekends, I have to drive to Lubbock (the TX "panhandle") on Thursday and McAllen (southern tip of TX) on Friday after interviewing and then to Dallas next week (already drove to Houston, Galveston, and San Antonio on previous weekends).

Would a polite decline be too overconfident of me? I'm a LizzyM of 74, Hispanic TX resident (immigrant) with not-special EC stats (340h shadowing, 242h clinical volunteering, 65h non-clinical and 65h research).

Need your interview advice, SDN!
TTUHSC El Paso just sent me an invite. Nonetheless, it's Thursday and it'd make me miss a lab and a lecture which would be a huge inconvenience as I'm fighting to keep the class as an A. I also have 5 other interview invitations from TMDSAS schools and one from BCM, which puts this school at 6th place in my interviewed-choice-ranking (out of 7.) I'm also a bit worn from interviewing weekends, I have to drive to Lubbock (the TX "panhandle") on Thursday and McAllen (southern tip of TX) on Friday after interviewing and then to Dallas next week (already drove to Houston, Galveston, and San Antonio on previous weekends).

Would a polite decline be too overconfident of me? I'm a LizzyM of 74, Hispanic TX resident (immigrant) with not-special EC stats (340h shadowing, 242h clinical volunteering, 65h non-clinical and 65h research).

Please post this on the thread: what are your chances. I would rather this thread not get off topic.

Wanted to wait until October to post in this thread. As of 10/03/17:
  1. 3o primaries,
  2. 22 secondaries,
  3. 16 interview invites,
  4. 1 rejection.
So, that's about a 77% response rate thus far! Schools I haven't heard from:
  • Baylor, UCSD, UCSF, UCLA and UMichigan.

Is october still a big month for interview invites? for those of us that were complete in july-early august lol

Please post this on the thread: what are your chances. I would rather this thread not get off topic.
Apologies, gone off to the WAMC board.

Wanted to wait until October to post in this thread. As of 10/03/17:
  1. 3o primaries,
  2. 22 secondaries,
  3. 16 interview invites,
  4. 1 rejection.
So, that's about a 77% response rate thus far! Schools I haven't heard from:
  • Baylor, UCSD, UCSF, UCLA and UMichigan.

Yeah, well, those schools are just practicing some yield protection with you - they know you're going to Harvard or Yale or Penn.. :cool:

Yeah, well, those schools are just practicing some yield protection with you - they know you're going to Harvard or Yale or Penn.. :cool:
Lol well hopefully that is the case!

Correction though: I have my eyes set on Mayo, so we'll see if one of those three pull me at their interview;)