This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punished Angeleno

Dental Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where I Stand:
> earned B.A. in history from UCLA; 3.17 sGPA, 3.5 oGPA; slight upward trend
> 2 waitlists (USC, UDM); 2 rejections (Loma Linda, Midwestern-AZ); 8 still under review
> pessimistic; will start preparing for upcoming cycle
> have already taken a bunch of recommended classes (anatomy, physiology, genetics, biochemistry, etc.)
> don't want to do master's ($$$), but don't know how else to significantly improve application

Planning:
> will retake DAT in May to increase current scores (21AA/22TS/21PAT/18RC)
> will continue volunteering/shadowing (currently at ~300 hours each)
> will find job, likely entry-level, possibly full-time
> will rewrite bits of personal statement and secondaries
> will likely use same letters of recommendation
> will probably enroll in only one more quarter of upper-division science courses (16 units?) at UCLA to show I can handle the workload

Question For SDN:
> is this enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where I Stand:
> earned B.A. in history from UCLA; 3.1 sGPA, 3.5 oGPA; slight upward trend
> 2 waitlists (USC, UDM); 2 rejections (Loma Linda, Midwestern-AZ); 8 still under review
> pessimistic; will start preparing for upcoming cycle
> have already taken a bunch of recommended classes (anatomy, physiology, genetics, biochemistry, etc.)
> don't want to do master's ($$$), but don't know how else to significantly improve application

Planning:
> will retake DAT in May to increase current scores (21AA/22TS/21PAT/18RC)
> will continue volunteering/shadowing (currently at ~300 hours each)
> will find job, likely entry-level, possibly full-time
> will rewrite bits of personal statement and secondaries
> will likely use same letters of recommendation
> will probably enroll in only one more quarter of upper-division science courses (16 units?) at UCLA to show I can handle the workload

Question For SDN:
> is this enough?
I feel that a DAT retake is a waste of money and efforts. You have a good score already.

Finding a job and taking post-back courses in upper-level sciences while continuing to volunteer and shadow should be enough to keep you busy during your gap year, and I think all those would be improvements to your application.

Have you reached out to schools to see what they believe will make you more competitive or why you were rejected/waitlisted? This would be to your benefit so that you can learn what they are expecting specifically.

Reactions: 6 users
I would reach out to some schools to see what they have to say about your application. If you end up not getting in, I would simply take a few more upper division classes and continue shawdowing.

I would not re-take the DAT. I would try to have others read your PS and other essays just to be sure it’s all your best. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see a reason to retake a DAT score that's a 21AA. Your time would be better spent improving the rest of your application rather than going a few points up.

Some things you can do to improve your application are: do more shadowing, go on a mission trip, check if any of the schools that you are applying to offer 1 or 2 weeks pre-dental courses, get involved within your community etc.

I would not retake a 21AA/22TS ... those are perfectly fine score and if you do worse, that looks bad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think people have reintrated enough times that it's not your DAT score that may be a issue. But tbh you still have time I wouldn't stress much since you seem like a solid applicant, but if I were in your shoes I'd try to bump that sGPA up and maybe look over your ps.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think you should. retake the DAT. If I were you, I would take a couple more science classes to try and boost the science GPA, volunteer some more, shadow some more, and work like you said. Also, did you apply early? Many on here say it makes a difference.

Thank you all for the helpful responses. I wholeheartedly appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
So, quick update. I got on two more waitlists this month (UNE and WesternU). I guess my interview skills aren't necessarily the best. I have my fifth interview coming up on March 5 at MWU-IL. Worst case scenario, I get my fifth waitlist email. Given that it's already almost March, at what point do I wave the white flag and start preparing for next cycle? Do these waitlists mean anything at all this late in the game? I feel like it's just a kind way to reject a student.

So, quick update. I got on two more waitlists this month (UNE and WesternU). I guess my interview skills aren't necessarily the best. I have my fifth interview coming up on March 5 at MWU-IL. Worst case scenario, I get my fifth waitlist email. Given that it's already almost March, at what point do I wave the white flag and start preparing for next cycle? Do these waitlists mean anything at all this late in the game? I feel like it's just a kind way to reject a student.
yes
it means you are still in contention...

I'd look into working a part time job in customer service or retail. I felt super nervous at my one interview last cycle and bombed it, but have been working a front desk job the past year. It's really helped me feel more confident when interacting with all sorts of people and definitely helped make this cycle's interviews more positive.

Definitely keep your head up. I say you are a solid applicant. Dental school admission committees I swear are the 8th wonder of the world. Fingers crossed you get in this cycle because I know how it feels reapplying. If you don't get in I would suggest: First, make sure you actually have your degree posted on your official transcript. Second, definitely do more shadowing and volunteering. Volunteer on things outside of dentistry, something you actually like and connect with. Think about getting involved in a mission trip (if you live in LA, I know there are a bunch of non-profits that go down to Mexico) and that could be a way to really boost your hours. Also, maybe get involved with UCLA's pre-dental club; I'm sure there are a lot of events you can get involved with through them. Third, think about getting X-Ray certified and CPR certified or something new you can add to your next app to show you are being active in preparing yourself for dental school. Fourth, I agree with @dentisttobehopefully. Get a job in customer service, like in a restaurant or something similar. You learn A LOT about people and the public, which will only help you for interviews, dental school, and as a future dentist. Good luck fam. Also, don't retake your DAT lol

Definitely keep your head up. I say you are a solid applicant. Dental school admission committees I swear are the 8th wonder of the world. Fingers crossed you get in this cycle because I know how it feels reapplying. If you don't get in I would suggest: First, make sure you actually have your degree posted on your official transcript. Second, definitely do more shadowing and volunteering. Volunteer on things outside of dentistry, something you actually like and connect with. Think about getting involved in a mission trip (if you live in LA, I know there are a bunch of non-profits that go down to Mexico) and that could be a way to really boost your hours. Also, maybe get involved with UCLA's pre-dental club; I'm sure there are a lot of events you can get involved with through them. Third, think about getting X-Ray certified and CPR certified or something new you can add to your next app to show you are being active in preparing yourself for dental school. Fourth, I agree with @dentisttobehopefully. Get a job in customer service, like in a restaurant or something similar. You learn A LOT about people and the public, which will only help you for interviews, dental school, and as a future dentist. Good luck fam. Also, don't retake your DAT lol
Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I think I'm going to prioritize the job more than anything else. Then, I'll just volunteer and shadow some more on the side. If you can believe it, I already have a mission trip as an experience and I've done plenty of dental and non-dental volunteering through UCLA's pre-dental student group. I'm also CPR certified but I didn't include it in AADSAS since I thought it wasn't important.

Well, yeah. I'm hoping I can get into one of the five places I interviewed at by the end of April. If I don't hear back by then, I'll start preparing for next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I don't know why but I have a feeling that you will get accepted this cycle. Wish you the best!

Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I think I'm going to prioritize the job more than anything else. Then, I'll just volunteer and shadow some more on the side. If you can believe it, I already have a mission trip as an experience and I've done plenty of dental and non-dental volunteering through UCLA's pre-dental student group. I'm also CPR certified but I didn't include it in AADSAS since I thought it wasn't important.

Well, yeah. I'm hoping I can get into one of the five places I interviewed at by the end of April. If I don't hear back by then, I'll start preparing for next cycle.

you still have a shot
there has been some movement in the past few days because of the fact that AADSAS (and the schools) now know who has more than one deposit

if you don't make it in this cycle, I would recommend getting a job where you need to interact with the public a lot
and really work on your interviewing skills
also, contact the schools and find out where they think you need to approve

Hey, I don't know why but I have a feeling that you will get accepted this cycle. Wish you the best!
Thank you so much. I sure hope you're right! :xf:

you still have a shot
there has been some movement in the past few days because of the fact that AADSAS (and the schools) now know who has more than one deposit

if you don't make it in this cycle, I would recommend getting a job where you need to interact with the public a lot
and really work on your interviewing skills
also, contact the schools and find out where they think you need to approve
Yup. The interview is probably where I'm coming up short each time, so that's solid advice. Thanks a ton!

I think what happened is after you got two waitlists, your soul was crushed and that affected your performance on the other interviews.

Last edited:

I agree, I have the same feelings. I wanted to write this a week ago saying he will get accepted with the other guy in the waitlist club, but I was afraid to give false hope, but I feel he will. Hopefully in a school he likes.

I think what happened is after you got two waitlists, your soul was crushed and that affected your performance on the other interviews.
To be frank, my first interview was the worst. Not surprised I got waitlisted there. I felt pretty good about my fifth interview last week (undoubtedly my best one) but I still don't have an answer so I guess my "good" isn't good enough. Still got some time though. We'll see what happens!

I agree, I have the same feelings. I wanted to write this a week ago saying he will get accepted with the other guy in the waitlist club, but I was afraid to give false hope, but I feel he will. Hopefully in a school he likes.
I appreciate you! Don't worry LOL I'm actually expecting the worst at this point. But hey, I got my birthday coming up in a few weeks so maybe they'll gift me an offer around then :laugh: Just kidding.

I don't want to be rude but I believe it's your interviewing skills that are holding you back. If you can get 5 interviews from 12 schools, your stats are good enough for them to think you have potential to be part of their future graduating class. You just need to nail the interview bro. Don't retake the DAT.

I don't want to be rude but I believe it's your interviewing skills that are holding you back. If you can get 5 interviews from 12 schools, your stats are good enough for them to think you have potential to be part of their future graduating class. You just need to nail the interview bro. Don't retake the DAT.
You're not being rude, dude. I agree. Unfortunately, I don't have any other interviews coming up so if I don't get in, just gotta nail 'em next cycle if I'm lucky enough to receive the same number of invites again.

There’s 2 things you could do. Improve interview schools by socializing more and working. Or retake the DAT and get a 23+. Having a higher DAT can offset interviews.

You're not being rude, dude. I agree. Unfortunately, I don't have any other interviews coming up so if I don't get in, just gotta nail 'em next cycle if I'm lucky enough to receive the same number of invites again.
Power to you brother. Best of luck.

There’s 2 things you could do. Improve interview schools by socializing more and working. Or retake the DAT and get a 23+. Having a higher DAT can offset interviews.
Just might do both. Nothing better to do anyways, so might as well. Thanks!

Power to you brother. Best of luck.
Appreciate you, bro. Thank you.

Seems odd. Your gpa is on the low side but you have a great DAT score. I know quite a few people with stats like yours or a little worse who got in multiple dental schools. Perhaps you went wrong with your personal statement or there is something else on your application. Did you try calling back the schools? maybe they can give you some direction. I'd also recommend looking into DAT bootcamp predental services. My buddy used them this cycle and got into ucla & ucsf with a 20 DAT, his gpa was pretty average too.

Seems odd. Your gpa is on the low side but you have a great DAT score. I know quite a few people with stats like yours or a little worse who got in multiple dental schools. Perhaps you went wrong with your personal statement or there is something else on your application. Did you try calling back the schools? maybe they can give you some direction. I'd also recommend looking into DAT bootcamp predental services. My buddy used them this cycle and got into ucla & ucsf with a 20 DAT, his gpa was pretty average too.
To be frank, I think it's the interviews. I don't see how my DAT scores alone can offset both a low sGPA and a poorly written personal statement. I mean, it's not like I pulled off a 25AA/24TS. I should probably give these universities a call tomorrow to know for sure. Also, if I don't get in this cycle, I'll be sure to give those services a shot myself. Thanks for info!