What next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashthegreat

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been reading through these forums for a while now and have finally decided to seek some help. I was hoping to get a better understanding from people on where I stand and if what I am planning to do is the right move.

A little about me, I am a first generation south asian. I obtained my undergrad degree (BS in Biological Science) in May 2019. During my time there I went through some ups and downs. I obtained a cgpa of 3.23 and a sgpa 3.05. No Ds/Fs but got Cs. While in college I joined an organization on campus that focused on opening a clinic in a small town in Mexico (w/ providers present), I was also on the board. I made about 14 trips which equates to about 224 hours. I also did research for about two years, didn't publish but presented two posters. During my gap years I worked as an EMT (2000 hours), currently am a CNA in the hospital where I have roughly 200 hours. I have been able to shadow an orthopedic surgeon, family practice doctor, and recently a DO hospitalist (totaling about 40-50 hours).

My main purpose for posting is to get some input from everyone, I was planning on applying this cycle (if my MCAT is stellar). If not, I was going to do a post bacc or SMP in the coming year. I never really had guidance and am really looking forward to hearing back from what everyone thinks. If any more information is needed, I can provide it.

Thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

When are you taking the MCAT?

Unless you have an outstanding MCAT, I think you need to improve your GPA. While you have lots of clinical experience, that does not mean you will be able to handle the academic rigor of medical school, and that will be the primary concern for anyone reading your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do an SMP. Do a post-bacc. If you have an upward trend, you may not even need a post bacc.

I learned from admission committees that SMPs are not necessary if one does well in a post-bacc or has a good upward trend. I would save that money.

When are you taking the MCAT?

Unless you have an outstanding MCAT, I think you need to improve your GPA. While you have lots of clinical experience, that does not mean you will be able to handle the academic rigor of medical school, and that will be the primary concern for anyone reading your application.
I am taking it June.

I had figured my gpa was going to be the biggest concern. Do you recommend any specific post baccs? I’m in the west coast and was looking into Csueb post bacc or uc Berkeley extension.

Don't do an SMP. Do a post-bacc. If you have an upward trend, you may not even need a post bacc.

I learned from admission committees that SMPs are not necessary if one does well in a post-bacc or has a good upward trend. I would save that money.
Do you have any you recommend? I live in the west coast (California) and want to stay somewhat close to home (atleast for the post bacc). I would do an DIY post bacc but the city I live is 2-3 hours from any good uc/csu and the local cc is awful.

Do you have any you recommend? I live in the west coast (California) and want to stay somewhat close to home (atleast for the post bacc). I would do an DIY post bacc but the city I live is 2-3 hours from any good uc/csu and the local cc is awful.
Choose the cheapest and most convenient option. This is mentioned in Goro’s guide. You can do UC Extension or if there is a CSU school closer to you than the 2-3 hours mentioned, go there.

Choose the cheapest and most convenient option. This is mentioned in Goro’s guide. You can do UC Extension or if there is a CSU school closer to you than the 2-3 hours mentioned, go there.
Sadly no matter which I do, I’ll have to move. The closest UC is an hr and a half away (no traffic). I was looking into doing the smp at touro Nevada or Charles dew post bacc. Uc Berkeley is online but I’m not sure how that’s looked at by med schools

Sadly no matter which I do, I’ll have to move. The closest UC is an hr and a half away (no traffic). I was looking into doing the smp at touro Nevada or Charles dew post bacc. Uc Berkeley is online but I’m not sure how that’s looked at by med schools
Then do the online UC courses. They shouldn’t be viewed as out of the ordinary and if asked about it, you have a very clear explanation as to why you chose the extension option.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a pretty similar cgpa and sgpa. I did retake the MCAT and got a 513 and also did 2 post-bacc classes and got As. That raised my cpga and sgpa slightly but I think it just confirmed to admissions that I can do well academically and that my MCAT wasn't a fluke. I also worked hard on my secondaries and my personal statement and made sure they were well written.

Point is, go hard at the MCAT and try to get a good sore and maybe take a few post bacc classes and I think you're right there. You have way better extras than me. I have a few acceptances this cycle so I have no doubt you can get in.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless UCB specifically denotes online courses on their transcript, schools won't know.

Hello everyone, I have been reading through these forums for a while now and have finally decided to seek some help. I was hoping to get a better understanding from people on where I stand and if what I am planning to do is the right move.

A little about me, I am a first generation south asian. I obtained my undergrad degree (BS in Biological Science) in May 2019. During my time there I went through some ups and downs. I obtained a cgpa of 3.23 and a sgpa 3.05. No Ds/Fs but got Cs. While in college I joined an organization on campus that focused on opening a clinic in a small town in Mexico (w/ providers present), I was also on the board. I made about 14 trips which equates to about 224 hours. I also did research for about two years, didn't publish but presented two posters. During my gap years I worked as an EMT (2000 hours), currently am a CNA in the hospital where I have roughly 200 hours. I have been able to shadow an orthopedic surgeon, family practice doctor, and recently a DO hospitalist (totaling about 40-50 hours).

My main purpose for posting is to get some input from everyone, I was planning on applying this cycle (if my MCAT is stellar). If not, I was going to do a post bacc or SMP in the coming year. I never really had guidance and am really looking forward to hearing back from what everyone thinks. If any more information is needed, I can provide it.

Thank you for reading!
Need to work on that GPA so I’d suggest a DIY or formal post bacc. I’d also suggest not rushing your MCAT. If you don’t feel ready to take it in June/July, there is no shame in pushing it back as a solid score will be very important to you. My numbers were very similar, almost identical to yours. I did a DIY post bacc at my undergraduate alma mater (45 or 50 credits of upper division coursework) and I took my time with my MCAT prep (gave myself a full year to prepare). Things worked well and I earned a seat in med school. You will too. Take your time and don’t rush this.