What MCAT score do I need based on situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What MCAT score do I need to be competitive in my situation? How am I looking? I plan to take MCAT March or April of 2019
  • 7 Withdrawals (W Bio 1 lecture Fall Freshman Year, W Bio 1 lab fall freshman year, W bio 1 lecture spring Freshman year, W bio 1 lab spring freshman year, W ochem 1 fall sophomore year, W ochem 1 lab fall sophomore year, W Calc 2 junior year)
  • Got B bio 1 lecture senior year and A in bio lab senior year and A in bio 2 lecture and A- in bio 2 lab, and got A in ochem 1 lecture and A in ochem lecture 1 lab and A's in both ochem 2 and ochem 2 lab took ochem series junior year.
  • Going into my last semester taking Biochem with either genetics or ecology but leaning towards genetics with biochem with other non science classes
  • 3.74 GPA
  • 270 hospital volunteer hours
  • 200 at another hospital volunteer
  • 115 hours shadowing family medicine physician, 8 hours cardiologist, 6 hours neurosurgeon
  • Teaching Assistant for 2 chemistry laboratories
  • In process of getting organic chemistry 1 tutor paid job for fall semester
  • 70 volunteer hours at teaching center being a teacher aide
  • 50 Volunteer hours for non profit
  • 100+ hours Habitat for Humanity
  • 100+ hours Circle K
  • Member of senior honor society
  • Part of 4 clubs with being secretary of one of my club for 2 1/2 years
  • 300 hours of research with chemistry professor on various projects, poster presentations, and working on submitting to journal
  • Looking for paid job after graduation
  • Looking into volunteering for those with disabilities after graduation
  • Not sure to continue my two hospital volunteering or not after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What MCAT score do I need to be competitive in my situation?
The best one you can get.

That isn't an insult. It's just a fact. There really isn't a situation where a higher MCAT score would do you harm.

Reactions: 5 users
What is your state of residence and ethnicity?

Do you have any reason for withdrawing from all of those courses?

It would also be helpful to share your GPA trend by year in school

Members don't see this ad :)
What MCAT score do I need to be competitive in my situation? How am I looking? I plan to take MCAT March or April of 2019
  • 7 Withdrawals (W Bio 1 lecture Fall Freshman Year, W Bio 1 lab fall freshman year, W bio 1 lecture spring Freshman year, W bio 1 lab spring freshman year, W ochem 1 fall sophomore year, W ochem 1 lab fall sophomore year, W Calc 2 junior year)
  • Got B bio 1 lecture senior year and A in bio lab senior year and A in bio 2 lecture and A- in bio 2 lab, and got A in ochem 1 lecture and A in ochem lecture 1 lab and A's in both ochem 2 and ochem 2 lab took ochem series junior year.
  • Going into my last semester taking Biochem with either genetics or ecology but leaning towards genetics with biochem with other non science classes
  • 3.74 GPA
  • 270 hospital volunteer hours
  • 200 at another hospital volunteer
  • 115 hours shadowing family medicine physician, 8 hours cardiologist, 6 hours neurosurgeon
  • Teaching Assistant for 2 chemistry laboratories
  • In process of getting organic chemistry 1 tutor paid job for fall semester
  • 70 volunteer hours at teaching center being a teacher aide
  • 50 Volunteer hours for non profit
  • 100+ hours Habitat for Humanity
  • 100+ hours Circle K
  • Member of senior honor society
  • Part of 4 clubs with being secretary of one of my club for 2 1/2 years
  • 300 hours of research with chemistry professor on various projects, poster presentations, and working on submitting to journal
  • Looking for paid job after graduation
  • Looking into volunteering for those with disabilities after graduation
  • Not sure to continue my two hospital volunteering or not after graduation?
The median MCAT score for MD acceptees is 511 nationwide.

For NYU class, the median is around 520

For Columbia class, the median is 518-519

For BU class it's around 516-517

For Einstein class, it's ~515

What is your state of residence and ethnicity?

Do you have any reason for withdrawing from all of those courses?

It would also be helpful to share your GPA trend by year in school

• PA and asian
  • I withdrew from those courses due to not putting in time in studying those courses on a day to day basis and also going into the courses with the mentality that I was afraid of them and not willing to do whatever it takes to pass the classes
  • 3.35 Freshman year, 3.67 Sophomore year, 3.99 Junior Year, 3.73 Senior Year, 1 more semester left

Asides from MCAT is rest of my stuff looking good? Also should I continue my two hospital volunteering after graduation? I was more looking into gaining experience with getting some sort of paid job and volunteer for those with disabilities after graduation. I mean like based on my W's early on in my undergrad career would I need a high MCAT score to compensate? Obviously want to get the highest score I can on MCAT!

I think in your case, you might have some luck playing off the Ws as adjusting to college as the majority of them are from your Frosh year and you have a strong upward trend in GPA.

It raises the suspicion that one is trying to protect their GPA.

What do you think of how rest of my application is looking? Will I need a certain score to compensate for my withdrawals? Idk if I should continue my two hospital volunteer after graduation because I was looking into gaining experience with a paid job and volunteering for those with disability.

Not an adcom, but I think your hours look good.

Not trying to sound rude at all, but the VERY high amount of withdrawals does not look good, especially since they continue into sophomore and junior years. As wise Goro stated it looks like your protecting the GPA, and also looks like you avoid challenges when things aren't going your way. Since it looks like your GPA-protecting, I think you need a fairly high MCAT. I guess it depends on the kind of schools you want to get into. If you're going for, say Penn State, Drexel, or Geisinger level, then I would say 513 would be a good minimum score to shoot for given the withdrawals!

You can also take a look at this AAMC table to assess your chances

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if it will affect your interview invites, but be ready to defend your withdrawals and not with the answer you gave here lol. I had 2 Ws and was asked about them at nearly every interview. I framed it as "I was set to pass the classes but I didn't feel comfortable with the material, which I knew I would need to build on later. I know this isn't an option in medical school and I'm prepared for that. I just wanted to take the opportunity to be able to master the material while I could". I also mentioned how I informally audited the classes for the rest of the term to support my story, which may or may not be true for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you W Bio I w/ Lab twice or once ( in the description you say it was Bio I W'd fall of freshman year and then spring of freshman year but in the retakes you said you retook Bio I and Bio II).

Also, I'm p sure a W in the class and being automatically pulled out of lab counts as 1 W each, so you really have 4 W's. ( I posted a thread on this myself a while back)

Did you W Bio I w/ Lab twice or once ( in the description you say it was Bio I W'd fall of freshman year and then spring of freshman year but in the retakes you said you retook Bio I and Bio II).

Also, I'm p sure a W in the class and being automatically pulled out of lab counts as 1 W each, so you really have 4 W's. ( I posted a thread on this myself a while back)

Depends on the school. At mine, they were separate and never required to be taken together. You could have dropped lecture and stayed in the lab and nobody would have done/said anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if it will affect your interview invites, but be ready to defend your withdrawals and not with the answer you gave here lol. I had 2 Ws and was asked about them at nearly every interview. I framed it as "I was set to pass the classes but I didn't feel comfortable with the material, which I knew I would need to build on later. I know this isn't an option in medical school and I'm prepared for that. I just wanted to take the opportunity to be able to master the material while I could". I also mentioned how I informally audited the classes for the rest of the term to support my story, which may or may not be true for you.

That's funny, I've heard of people having a couple of W's and saying that they weren't asked about it at all. Were your's all recent?

I guess it depends what type of interview you attend ( stress interview versus like,a chill closed file interview).

That's funny, I've heard of people having a couple of W's and saying that they weren't asked about it at all. Were your's all recent?

I guess it depends what type of interview you attend ( stress interview versus like,a chill closed file interview).

Also depends on your interviewer. Some just really want an answer lol. I was only asked about one W at one interview. Granted, it was my only pre-req W so maybe that was why?

Depends on the school. At mine, they were separate and never required to be taken together. You could have dropped lecture and stayed in the lab and nobody would have done/said anything.
I think if your school forces you to pull out of lab once you pull out of the class, you can mention that so that it's taken a 1 W, but I posted a thread on here and most adcoms said they assume that as 1. My school does that, some schools even say that if you take the class and the lab, and you fail the class and pass the lab, you must retake both.

I think if your school forces you to pull out of lab once you pull out of the class, you can mention that so that it's taken a 1 W, but I posted a thread on here and most adcoms said they assume that as 1. My school does that, some schools even say that if you take the class and the lab, and you fail the class and pass the lab, you must retake both.

Yes absolutely school dependent. Having two different course codes makes a difference. Chemistry at my school did, but biology only did for a couple courses. So for like, physiology, you could drop the lecture and stay in the lab if you wanted, but any others you drop one you drop both as theyre a package deal.

And i guess more-so with that, it apparently even differs by department by school lol

Small sample size (I only interviewed at 5 places), but this past application cycle. And I didn't get it asked by all interviewers, but I had at least 1 open-file interview at each place and was asked about it at each interview day.

I withdrew bio lecture twice and bio lab twice freshman fall and spring semester and I took biology sequence senior year!

Small sample size (I only interviewed at 5 places), but this past application cycle. And I didn't get it asked by all interviewers, but I had at least 1 open-file interview at each place and was asked about it at each interview day.
Did you get accepted? It shows they just want a mature answer. 2 or fewer W's is generally negligible.

Did you get accepted? It shows they just want a mature answer. 2 or fewer W's is generally negligible.

I did, to 3/5 (waitlists at the others). I know 2 Ws is a lot lower, I just truly believe that if you are able to explain your mistake and show growth and understanding of how this would relate to medical school it can be negligible. If it's doesn't affect OPs chance of an interview, they should definitely be able to explain their situation in such a way(not how they did in this post lol)

I did, to 3/5 (waitlists at the others). I know 2 Ws is a lot lower, I just truly believe that if you are able to explain your mistake and show growth and understanding of how this would relate to medical school it can be negligible. If it's doesn't affect OPs chance of an interview, they should definitely be able to explain their situation in such a way(not how they did in this post lol)

If the lab W's were automatic ( such is the case at my school, so a W in Orgo I w/ the lab is really counted as 1W) then OP really has more like 4 W's, two in the same class. ( Bio I w/ Lab). I think it can be explained, since most of it was freshman year. ( even if they are spread out)

Obviously, this GPA needed protection. The concern is greater when the applicant is protecting a 4.0.

What does that mean? Are you saying a 3.74 isn't that good , or that it shows that the applicant isn't a crazy perfectionist ( such as someone with a 4.0 taking a W) Would a lower GPA ( say 3.5) need the protection? This statement really confused me o_O

Obviously, this GPA needed protection. The concern is greater when the applicant is protecting a 4.0.
What does that mean? Are you saying a 3.74 isn't that good , or that it shows that the applicant isn't a crazy perfectionist ( such as someone with a 4.0 taking a W) Would a lower GPA ( say 3.5) need the protection? This statement really confused me o_O

I'm saying that someone who took some Ws in freshman year and ended that academic year with a 3.35 was not dropping courses to protect a 4.0 (ie. crazy perfectionist). The OP barely hung on to a B+ average and it would appear that they dropped some classes to keep from going under even further.

I'm saying that someone who took some Ws in freshman year and ended that academic year with a 3.35 was not dropping courses to protect a 4.0 (ie. crazy perfectionist). The OP barely hung on to a B+ average and it would appear that they dropped some classes to keep from going under even further.
Oh okay. But I always think of a W and a retake as less protecting GPA more showing that you can do better in that class, you know? Like when I W'd orgo that was more what it was about- showing that I can do well, and the W to stop the previous bad grade from ruining me. But I guess when it's more than 2-3 W's it's pushing the allotment on that.

Biology lab and biology lecture are separate grades and courses and they are co reqs and organic chemistry lecture and lab are separate grades and courses and co reqs in my situation.

@LizzyM Do you agree that I probably need a 513+ MCAT to have a chance at MD schools?
Not LizzyM. ECs are above average, GPA is average, Ws are a slight concern - adjusting to freshman year. So I'd say a 510+ puts you in good shape for your state schools, 514+ for mid-tiers, and 520+, preferably 523+, for top 20s.

Reactions: 2 users
I personally think your biggest issue is 2 W's in the same class , that needs to be addressed the most. Hopefully you have other good grades in bio classes you took once to compensate.

Not LizzyM. ECs are above average, GPA is average, Ws are a slight concern - adjusting to freshman year. So I'd say a 510+ puts you in good shape for your state schools, 514+ for mid-tiers, and 520+, preferably 523+, for top 20s.
GPA is above average with 7Ws so unless there is a good explanation for the Ws, the ECs are not going to make a big difference.

Biology lab and biology lecture are separate grades and courses and they are co reqs and organic chemistry lecture and lab are separate grades and courses and co reqs in my situation.

So when you pulled out of the class you also pulled out of lab on your own? In my case, I pulled out of the class, but was pulled out of lab automatically, I posted a thread and people said that's 1 W if your school does that ( it's been mentioned that if the course numbers match it backs up your story).

If you W's lab separately then it really is 7 W's , but some schools pull you out of lab if you pull out of the class then it's more like you have 4 which, after 4 years of school, may be able to squeek by.

I personally think your biggest issue is 2 W's in the same class , that needs to be addressed the most. Hopefully you have other good grades in bio classes you took once to compensate.

I'm going to take genetics or ecology with biochemistry in my last semester. I've been told genetics would look better if I took it but probably have a better chance of getting an A in ecology than genetics so still trying to figure out what to take between the two of them and I have till September deadline to decide.

So when you pulled out of the class you also pulled out of lab on your own? In my case, I pulled out of the class, but was pulled out of lab automatically, I posted a thread and people said that's 1 W if your school does that ( it's been mentioned that if the course numbers match it backs up your story).

If you W's lab separately then it really is 7 W's , but some schools pull you out of lab if you pull out of the class then it's more like you have 4 which, after 4 years of school, may be able to squeek by.

If someone drops bio lecture they can still stay in bio lab they're separate grades and courses the way it's done in my situation

If someone drops bio lecture they can still stay in bio lab they're separate grades and courses the way it's done in my situation
Oh...then it really is 7 W's....see in my case my advisor said mine would count as 1 because my school really does automatically pull you out of lab if you pull out of the class, they changed the policy the year after I took it * rage*

If I didn't have 6 of those 7 withdrawals and had only 1 W with all that I've done I could've had a better chance but it is what it is just have to work hard on that MCAT and hope for the best!

What would happen if I got an McAT score of 500-505? No chance at MD schools? What about DO?

What would happen if I got an McAT score of 500-505? No chance at MD schools? What about DO?
DO may still be fine. Also DO is more likely to forgive olldd W's.

There is also a course offered in fall called advanced organic chemistry how important is it to take that to prove that my W in Ochem 1 was not too serious?

So with biochemistry it’s trying to figure out a combination of genetics or ecology to take with it and also maybe advanced organic chemistry. Also I’m gonna need the fall semester to do some content review for mcat as well.

So it’s between taking advanced ochem or not which is optional with ecology or genetics with biochem. What combination should I do? This is all keeping in mind that I need the fall semester to study content for mcat as well

I kinda think taking advanced organic chemistry and doing well in it would compensate for the W I had in Ochem 1 and W in ochem 1 lab but don't know how important it is to take it.

Ecology has less weight on exams compared to genetics and less time consuming the genetics but kinda think genetics would look more impressive to take with biochemistry. Also what about the importance of taking Advanced Organic Chemistry? Time consuming class as well. This is all keeping in mind gonna need fall semester to brush up on content for MCAT. Input on all this would be appreciated!

I have until first few weeks of September to making changes to my schedule. Guidance on what to do would be appreciated in my situation especially

Any input on any of my above situation regarding class scheduling for Fall 2018 would be valuable

I was leaning towards biochemistry and genetics or biochemistry, ecology, and advanced ochem

Update just finished last semester of undergrad
  • Now my Cumulative GPA is 3.63 and BCMP is 3.54 most likely. Not do well last semester.
  • Notably last semester got flat B biochemistry and C in ecology
  • I did not take up Organic Chemistry tutor position
  • I have 50 hours with Circle K and 75 hours Habitat for Humanity Volunteering
  • I was a volunteer note taker for my last semester
  • otherwise everything else was the same as above I mentioned in beginning of thread
  • Taking MCAT end of June
  • Plan to take up volunteering disability and getting a job clinical during gap year
Do I still have a chance at MD schools? What about D.O. schools? What about MCAT score now for MD and DO based on all this now that I have finished undergrad? Specifically do I have a chance at Pitt Med or Lecom Seton Hill? Honest and Sincere Input on all this would mean a lot to me and help out a lot!

You have a chance but you kinda finished on a flat note. Your Ws already raised eyebrows. Do good on your MCAT 511+ and you should be fine for MD.

You have a chance but you kinda finished on a flat note. Your Ws already raised eyebrows. Do good on your MCAT 511+ and you should be fine for MD.
What about for Pitt Med and lecom seton hill in specific?