What makes a good therapist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fbplayr75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a wait to hear from pt programs concerning admission, i find myself wondering what it takes to be a good therapist.

The pt i work for now says that most of it has to do with people skills and that the eval/treatment skills will come with time.

What do you guys think?

what makes a great therapist?

Members don't see this ad.

The people skills are crucial, but in my mind, a good PT must also be able to evaluate, implement appropriate treatment, prioritize well, recognize when treatment is not responding, and solve problems.

As a wait to hear from pt programs concerning admission, i find myself wondering what it takes to be a good therapist.

The pt i work for now says that most of it has to do with people skills and that the eval/treatment skills will come with time.

What do you guys think?

what makes a great therapist?

Listen to your patients. You will get valuable information from what they say and how they communicate their problems to you. Make their problems your priorities and you will see a tremendous increase in patient satisfaction. There is so much to gain from simply doing this.

Too many PT's get caught up in the latest/greatest manual technique or trendy exercise, but none of these things are worth a damn if you aren't addressing the issues your patient feels is important.

Also: know your anatomy, pathophysiology, kinesiology, biomechanics like the back of your hand. This plus listening to your patients makes a great PT in my mind.