What makes a good intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immie23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a final year med student in Sydney, Australia...
Here, we have the option of doing our degree as a 6 year undergrad program (that includes pre-med subjects)... so most of us graduate as doctors while we're still relatively young... (I'm 23).

I'm in the library reading up on maxillofacial fractures and thought I'd proscrastinate...

Just wondering from others in my situation and more senior doctors as to what they think makes a good intern...

I'd also like to point out that in Australia, as an intern, we don't get to choose if we'd like to get into surgery or internal medicine (like I'm led to believe they do in the USA).... this means that I'm still uncertain about what line of work I'd like to pursue and have at least another 2 years before I make that dreadful decision.

Regards,
Im

Members don't see this ad.

immie23 said:
Hi all, I'm a final year med student in Sydney, Australia...
Here, we have the option of doing our degree as a 6 year undergrad program (that includes pre-med subjects)... so most of us graduate as doctors while we're still relatively young... (I'm 23).

I'm in the library reading up on maxillofacial fractures and thought I'd proscrastinate...

Just wondering from others in my situation and more senior doctors as to what they think makes a good intern...

I'd also like to point out that in Australia, as an intern, we don't get to choose if we'd like to get into surgery or internal medicine (like I'm led to believe they do in the USA).... this means that I'm still uncertain about what line of work I'd like to pursue and have at least another 2 years before I make that dreadful decision.

Regards,
Im

So who/what decides which field you will be going into?

I think she meant that internship is a non-specific year, where you could be doing many rotations in IM. surg, ob, & peds.. only when you're done with internship will you be able to choose your residency. i guess..