What kind of research is considered Oto research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmc48

Med School Flunky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Preface: I'm just a pre-med who is busy applying, but ENT is probably the most competitive specialty I'm currently interested in, so I thought I would ask.

One of the schools that I like so far is one of my state schools, but it doesn't have a home ENT program. I know this is a disadvantage, but if I'm lucky enough to earn an acceptance there, there are multiple other factors that I like about the school (class size, location to mine and my fiance's family, etc and so on). Without a home ENT program, there isn't a lot of "Oto" research going on. So much question is, can other types of research be considered "oto" or "oto-related"? There is a basic science guy doing research on CRP protein in Streptococcus pneumoniae, which I know is implicated in otitis media. There is also a guy here in audiology who is an assistant professor in the surgery department as well. His research description goes as follows:

Research Interests: Clinical application of measures of human auditory and vestibular physiology

My question is, would any of these guys (or related research) be considered good for Oto residences? Worthwhile doing? Or should I look at other schools with a dedicated Oto department (not considering the fact that I'll need to do aways at this school for letters, etc)?

Anyway, sorry for the novel of a post. I know I'm just a pre-med, but any advice would be helpful as I'm considering everything.

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise you not to discard a school that does not have an ENT residency if you really like the school and it's your number one choice otherwise. I go to a school without a home ENT program and am currently doing a few writeups before I have to submit my application. Just because there is no residency program does not mean that there are not ENT's there operating and undertaking research projects. Keep in mind that it is very difficult to start up an ENT residency at most hospitals (after all, there are only about 100 M.D. programs in the country)...they keep it limited for a reason.

I agree with the above. Picking a medical school primarily based on its residency programs is awfully foolish, especially when you haven't even started a surgery rotation yet and taken call. Chances are you will change your mind about specialties somewhere down the road, as do most people.

The type of research itself, unless you're doing a PhD, is generally trivial. While having ENT research is nice, not having any won't sink you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. Picking a medical school primarily based on its residency programs is awfully foolish, especially when you haven't even started a surgery rotation yet and taken call. Chances are you will change your mind about specialties somewhere down the road, as do most people.

The type of research itself, unless you're doing a PhD, is generally trivial. While having ENT research is nice, not having any won't sink you.

WTF? Not having research is an absolute killer in many programs these days. Absolutely will put you at the bottom of the pile in some residency programs. Now having research in something is better than nothing. And having ENT research is better than non-ENT. I don't think a residency will be as impressed with some ob/gyn paper you wrote compared to the kid with some hearing or head and neck cancer paper. Generally, the more closely related to the field the better. In other words, general surgery is better than psychiatry. However, a blockbuster paper in ob/gyn that was published in the NEJM is probably going to look far better than some case report in The ENT Journal or other throwaway otolaryngology mag.

Second, despite what has been said above, I do think it's a disadvantage going to a school without an ENT program. Unless you're able to somehow get to know really well another ENT chair or relatively well-respected attending who can write you a great recommendation and/or make some calls for you, it is tougher to come from a school without an ENT dept than with one. (I speak with some experience coming from a decent school with a weak ENT dept)

Not sure where the advice came from above me, but I'd completely disagree with them.

I do agree with the fact that you shouldn't choose against a school simply because they don't have a department in the specialty you may or may not ultimately end up in, but if you're dead solid sure you want ENT and that's the deciding factor between 2 schools, pick the one with the ENT dept. Besides, what top notch med school doesn't have an ENT dept? Geez.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just as a disclaimer: I'm not deadset on ENT, I just find the small bit of exposure I've had so far very interesting intellectually. I'm also interested in Pulm/CC, Neurology, and FP oddly enough (I know, it's a random assortment).

Also, I haven't ruled out any schools. My state schools, UT-Memphis and ETSU, are at the top of my list for a variety of reasons. But they are very different schools.

UT-Memphis: Bigger school with more/better overall clinical exposure and research opportunities, has ENT department (as well as other competitive specialties). But, it's Memphis - high crime, etc. and it's far from both me and my fiance's families.

ETSU: Small class size, close to both families, good teaching reputation, in an area I would like to work in the future. But, it has no ENT department, is primary care focused (but has placed a few folks into ENT in the last few years), less research.

So, really I was asking whether the research I posted originally (or something similar) would work IF I wanted to do ENT but decided ETSU was for me. I'm going to do research regardless, as I enjoy it. I just wondered if say, the audiology guy I posted above, who has published papers in ENT journals before, would work as good research. Honestly, I'm not interested in "prestige/reputation" of schools as much as I am just getting into a good residency in whatever specialty I pick. However, when looking at schools, I want to leave as many options open as possible and not short-change myself (all other factors in school choice being equal).

WTF? Not having research is an absolute killer in many programs these days. Absolutely will put you at the bottom of the pile in some residency programs. Now having research in something is better than nothing. And having ENT research is better than non-ENT. I don't think a residency will be as impressed with some ob/gyn paper you wrote compared to the kid with some hearing or head and neck cancer paper. Generally, the more closely related to the field the better. In other words, general surgery is better than psychiatry. However, a blockbuster paper in ob/gyn that was published in the NEJM is probably going to look far better than some case report in The ENT Journal or other throwaway otolaryngology mag.

Oh hahaha, I should have been more clear! I meant that if you have research that is non-ENT (because of no home department), it won't sink you. My bad!! :p

But yeah... what resxn said.

I do agree with the fact that you shouldn't choose against a school simply because they don't have a department in the specialty you may or may not ultimately end up in, but if you're dead solid sure you want ENT and that's the deciding factor between 2 schools, pick the one with the ENT dept. Besides, what top notch med school doesn't have an ENT dept? Geez.

I agree with this completely as well. I would also add that even if you think ENT is where you are going, make sure your school has an ENT program as well. The more complete your medical school is, the more well-rounded the training you get will be.