What kind of people get kicked out of neurosurgery residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gotti

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wanted to know what kind of people get kicked out of neurosurgery residency? Are they just not working hard enough or are they clearly not smart enough or are their hands bad?

I'm asking because I'm interested in neurosurgery. I'm at the lower tier in numbers, but I'm not a complete ***** neither. Other MD/Phds have gotten in with my numbers. I can work as hard as anyone, but if it comes down to memorizing a million facts, I might only get 900,000 or something like that. Or if it comes down to really precise minuscule finger movements, I may nick the tiniest vessel. But even if I won't be the greatest neurosurgeon in the world or even my city or even my ward, I still find the challenge of becoming a neurosurgeon to be the greatest feat of my life. But if 99% will get you kicked out of the program, maybe I should consider something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Neurosurgery may fire more people per resident captia than any other medical residency out there, but it is still pretty difficult to get fired. I posted this somewhere else, but the sentiment is the same.

The only reason to get outright fired from a program is gross negligence. If you put a patient at significant risk (or death), consider yourself gone. Otherwise, you will have many opportunities to "do better." Your clinical skills should improve each year, and that should be no problem if you are seeing your patients.

Your operative skills will come along the same way, unless you are a total hack. Then you should just stop yourself.

You have to pass the ABNS primary exam prior to graduation. However, most programs don't require you to pass it until your fourth or fifth year. This is usually the year you spend on research. Therefore, you will most likely have all the time you need to study. This is a variable with some of the smaller programs.

Other than that, don't let the fire rate scare you. If you work hard and try, you will succeed. If you are not succeeding, you will most likely weed yourself out because you hate it anyway, or you will find someone to help you. Staff will help you...some will that is. If you get accepted, they all figure you are good enough to finish - so it is kind of on their ego too for you to succeed.

Good luck.