What kind of jobs can you get with a DDS/DMD outside of practicing dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sortie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, can you work in a corporation (Straumann, P&G, etc.), while still using some of your knowledge and experience in dentistry/medicine? I was just wanting to know some of the other possible options with a DDS/DMD outside of practicing dentistry and its specialties. The only equivalent to this I've heard of is from when I was shadowing a former Air Force dentist, he said you could transition into health administration in the Air Force if you didn't care to do dentistry for them anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you want to go to dental school if you don't want to be a dentist? It's four years and a ton of dough just to use as a transition to your next job.

I wonder that too like if i get in a car accident or something and i get disabled good to know there would be other options. I know teaching or administration at a dental school is always there

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder that too like if i get in a car accident or something and i get disabled good to know there would be other options. I know teaching or administration at a dental school is always there
insurance companies have people that adjudicate claims

You can work at those crooked insurance companies that keep denying my prior authorizations

This is why MD school is very protective. A fourth year orthopedic surgery resident who gets his hand severed by a pack of 7 sharks while scuba diving can still apply for rads and make a great living. With DDS, you have to teach or become a part of the government behind dentistry.

some dentists buy disability insurance
there are 2 types of disability insurance- personal and office overhead
personal you can pay for one of two ways- pre-tax or post-tax
pre-tax, your office/corporation pays and deducts it from income as an office expense
post-tax, you pay it personally with your earnings
the difference is, if it is paid pre-tax, you are taxed on the payouts, if post-tax, your payouts are tax-free
personal usually covers you for the rest of your life with a monthly payment
office overhead pays your staff and expenses while you are disabled, it will even pay for a substitute dentist to cover your office
office overhead usually pays off for a set duration, usually a year or two, so that if you are permanently disabled, it keeps your office going and patients taken care of while you are trying to sell your office

it gets more complicated though- there are group plans and personal plans
group plans are cheaper, but generally have less benefits
personal plans have better benefits, but are way more expensive

and then there are waiting periods before the benefits kick in
some as little as one month, others 3 months
the cost difference is a lot, though
you can structure it so that you have a cheaper group plan that kicks in after 1 month and a more expensive personal plan that kicks in after 3 month

to make it worse, there is a definition called "own occ"
this means your occupation
the highest classification (lowest risk group) professions get "own occ" coverage
this means that you get paid as long as you cannot do your occupation (clinical dentistry)
groups that have more claims lose this
so if your profession does not have "own occ", you lose your benefits if you do any job that earns you money (well it's a sliding scale, the more money you make, the less benefits you receive)
if you have "own occ", you can teach, work for an insurance company, do research, etc and get paid while still receiving full benefits
in the late 80s and early 90s, a bunch of dentists made claims of carpal tunnel and back/neck problems after getting disability policies
since these are self-reported conditions (like whiplash), they are more easily faked
so for a while, dentistry lost "own occ" status
I believe it has had it back for quite some time though

as with any insurance, the earlier you get it (younger, healthier) the cheaper your policy is
your rates stay the same, although you can buy riders to increase your coverage as your income increases
there are also riders that you can pay for that raise your payout every year as a cost of living increase
when you first start out, you don't have to prove your income, so you can actually get quite a lot of coverage right away

probably more than you wanted to know
but there you have it...

Reactions: 2 users
When I quit my job monitoring drug trials I was told that I could always come back and that they had a DDS employed in a similar position to mine. Not sure why anyone would want to do that since the position required working 60 hour weeks, constant travel and only paid 1/2 to maybe 3/4 what a full time middle of the pack dentist makes....but there are opportunities.

You can work for insurance denying claims... I personally couldn't sleep at night doing this but it pays well.

You can do many things with you DMD degree if you don't want to practice dentistry

+ work for health insurers like Aetna or Delta Dental
+ work for big consulting firms like McKinsey, Boston Consulting Group or Deloitte
+ work for big investment banks like JP Morgan in healthcare
+ Healthcare software companies that focus on dentistry

These are a subset of what is possible. There are lot more things you can do with your degree and skills.

+ work for big consulting firms like McKinsey, Boston Consulting Group or Deloitte
+ work for big investment banks like JP Morgan in healthcare
This. The skills you gain learning to cut a crown prep translate so well to mergers and acquisitions it’s scary. Don’t even get me started on perio and investment banking! The world is your oyster!

Big Hoss

Edit: I just came across a million dollar opportunity! With your DMD/DDS, you could become a GLH traveling sales rep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users